Mega Thread The Stats Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was Jason Blake before Smith right?

That was my first guess but think he got one in his last season.
Tom Lonergan had the record before Smith broke it this week. Jason Blake was also impressive in his mediocrity, had 202 games before his first Brownlow vote

Tom Lonergan had the record before Smith broke it this week. Jason Blake was also impressive in his mediocrity, had 202 games before his first Brownlow vote
Smith isn't mediocre, though... he's brilliant!

God damn it.

Yes Nick Smith, it was topical as he broke the record against Collingwood on the weekend. I am making the assumption he did not get a vote.

Another intersting Nick Smith fact. He has kicked the same total amount of goals in grand finals as Sam Reid and Kurt Tippett.

It has been a month since the stat thread had a run, so here's another pop quiz!

Which player has the highest kick to handball ratio in the league? (Minimum 5 games played)

Bonus: the player with the 2nd lowest kick to handball ratio in the league is a Swan. Can you name him?

Which of these Swans defenders has the worst defensive 1-on-1 contest win rate? (IE which player loses more of their defensive battles than any other)

A) Aliir Aliir
B) Heath Grundy
C) Jarrad McVeigh
D) Dane Rampe
E) Nick Smith

Clue: this player is 80% worse than any of the others on the list

It has been a month since the stat thread had a run, so here's another pop quiz!

Which player has the highest kick to handball ratio in the league? (Minimum 5 games played)

Bonus: the player with the 2nd lowest kick to handball ratio in the league is a Swan. Can you name him?

Which of these Swans defenders has the worst defensive 1-on-1 contest win rate? (IE which player loses more of their defensive battles than any other)

A) Aliir Aliir
B) Heath Grundy
C) Jarrad McVeigh
D) Dane Rampe
E) Nick Smith

Wouldn’t have a clue who is the highest. My guess from the Swans would be Franklin.

Nick Smith for the last question.

Josh Kennedy of the Eagles
I would guess Lance is the 2nd lowest kick to handball ratio in the league?

A) Aliir Aliir
B) Heath Grundy
C) Jarrad McVeigh
D) Dane Rampe
E) Nick Smith

My guess would be the player that is there for pure attacking purpose.
Macca.

Wouldn’t have a clue who is the highest. My guess from the Swans would be Franklin.

Nick Smith for the last question.
Correct and correct! Lance Franklin actually has the highest kick to handball ratio in the whole league, which surprised me at first but then I realised I couldn't remember many handpasses he has made, I always remember him just swinging around onto that left boot.
Shannon Hurn. Wasn’t there one game he had something like 26 kicks 1 handball.
This is a bloody good effort. Hurn has the 3rd highest kick to handball in the league, 2nd is Heath Shaw which again made sense since I always remember him running around the backline and usually kicking.
Josh Kennedy of the Eagles
I would guess Lance is the 2nd lowest kick to handball ratio in the league?
Josh Kennedy is another extremely good effort, he has the 19th highest ratio (remember this is out of ~400 players so that is extremely high). The list tends to be dominated, unsurprisingly, by key forwards and loose rebounding defenders.
My guess would be the player that is there for pure attacking purpose.
Macca.
Nick Smith actually has the worst ratio. This was very surprising to me which is why I posted the question, I like to post stats that seem a bit surprising or odd.

Smith has dropped off a cliff this year, his career record is losing 24.7% of defensive contests (which rates as well above average). This year he is losing 44.8% of defensive contests.

Numbers for the other defenders listed:

Aliir - 11.6%
Grundy - 21.4%
Rampe - 24.7%
McVeigh - 19%

Correct and correct! Lance Franklin actually has the highest kick to handball ratio in the whole league, which surprised me at first but then I realised I couldn't remember many handpasses he has made, I always remember him just swinging around onto that left boot.

This is a bloody good effort. Hurn has the 3rd highest kick to handball in the league, 2nd is Heath Shaw which again made sense since I always remember him running around the backline and usually kicking.

Josh Kennedy is another extremely good effort, he has the 19th highest ratio (remember this is out of ~400 players so that is extremely high). The list tends to be dominated, unsurprisingly, by key forwards and loose rebounding defenders.

Nick Smith actually has the worst ratio. This was very surprising to me which is why I posted the question, I like to post stats that seem a bit surprising or odd.

Smith has dropped off a cliff this year, his career record is losing 24.7% of defensive contests (which rates as well above average). This year he is losing 44.8% of defensive contests.

Numbers for the other defenders listed:

Aliir - 11.6%
Grundy - 21.4%
Rampe - 24.7%
McVeigh - 19%
Nick Smith is very surprising. Macca actually is pretty good defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leading goalscorers 2016-2019

Lance Franklin - 238
Tim Membrey - 160
Tom Papley - 120
Isaac Heeney - 89
Gary Rohan - 79
Luke Parker -77
Will Hayward - 62
Sam Reid - 60
Josh Kennedy - 53

The lack of key forwards stands out, with Franklin a star but you have to go a long way down to find Sam Reid, our "2nd tall". The prolific small forward has been Papley, with Heeney/Rohan/Hayward the midsized options and Parker/Kennedy the midfielders pushing forward.

Notably from the top 5: Membrey and Rohan left the club, Papley has requested a trade, Franklin is 32. There is a big period of transition in our goalscorers coming, with Daniher hopefully a key part of it

EDIT: for anyone interested, Daniher ranks 3rd on this list with 123 goals from 2016-2019, ahead of Papley but behind Franklin and Membrey

Leading goalscorers 2016-2019

Lance Franklin - 238
Tim Membrey - 160
Tom Papley - 120
Isaac Heeney - 89
Gary Rohan - 79
Luke Parker -77
Will Hayward - 62
Sam Reid - 60
Josh Kennedy - 53

The lack of key forwards stands out, with Franklin a star but you have to go a long way down to find Sam Reid, our "2nd tall". The prolific small forward has been Papley, with Heeney/Rohan/Hayward the midsized options and Parker/Kennedy the midfielders pushing forward.

Notably from the top 5: Membrey and Rohan left the club, Papley has requested a trade, Franklin is 32. There is a big period of transition in our goalscorers coming, with Daniher hopefully a key part of it

EDIT: for anyone interested, Daniher ranks 3rd on this list with 123 goals from 2016-2019, ahead of Papley but behind Franklin and Membrey

Why is Membrey on this list at all (other that to rub it in?)? He left the Swans at the end of 2014.... thus none of his goals were kicked with us....

Last edited:
Sam Reid has also played in 11 finals for 7 wins & 4 losses.
Membrey 0 finals for 0 wins & 0 losses.
Therefore Membrey has NEVER lost a final.

Stats are good fun but don't paint the full picture unless used correctly & faitly.

Pointless stat for the week

Goals 2010-2018
Barry Hall (retired 2011) - 135
Sam Reid - 126

I'm only allowed so many things in my signature.

I'm only allowed so many things in my signature.

Why don't you have a rotation? Change the 'fun fact' in your signature once a month.

Why don't you have a rotation? Change the 'fun fact' in your signature once a month.
Being the off season, should I go back to posting fun facts? I'm thinking people need some cheering up, with the amount of trade period stress and anger going around

Being the off season, should I go back to posting fun facts? I'm thinking people need some cheering up, with the amount of trade period stress and anger going around

Well I enjoy them, but I'm not sure if others will!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back