The Tiger myth - Stop telling me Richmond aren't talented

Remove this Banner Ad

If you take the 4 best players out of every side then you’ll notice a significant difference.

Sydney - Franklin, Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery
Geelong - Selwood, Dangerfield, Taylor, Duncan
GWS - Kelly, Coniglio, Cameron, Shiel

Etc etc

It’s a testament to Richmond to perform at such a high level beyond their top 4. If the media peddle the usual names as holding the ship afloat then their idiots.

One of the better big footy posts I’ve read.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you take the 4 best players out of every side then you’ll notice a significant difference.

Sydney - Franklin, Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery
Geelong - Selwood, Dangerfield, Taylor, Duncan
GWS - Kelly, Coniglio, Cameron, Shiel

Etc etc

It’s a testament to Richmond to perform at such a high level beyond their top 4. If the media peddle the usual names as holding the ship afloat then their idiots.
I always find this an odd criticism.
"Without their top 4 theyd be no good"

No s**t. Take out any teams best 4 players and theyd be an average side. They might win the odd game, but long term theyd struggle.

I always find this an odd criticism.
"Without their top 4 theyd be no good"

No s**t. Take out any teams best 4 players and theyd be an average side. They might win the odd game, but long term theyd struggle.
Can you imagine Geelong without their top 4? Why is it that Richmond seem to be keeping competitive because of their best 4? It’s bullshit. Sure they’re good players, of course they are, but you’ve also got 18 others that play exactly the way you need them to. The game on Tuesday night highlighted this. Everyone knows where to go and what to do, as opposed to Melbourne, who beyond the usual contribution of say Oliver, Gawn, O McDonald, and Hogan seem to drop away in a really concerning manner.

People have been talking about talent and contrasting it with mental fitness and game plan etc. In between there's another element that has to be discussed, and that's player development. My favourite example are the Grimes brothers. Jack was a first round pick who so impressed in his first couple of seasons that Melbourne made him captain. His brother Dylan was picked up by Richmond in the PSD and had trouble getting on the park for his first few seasons because his skinny frame was so injury-prone. Jack lost form after being made captain, then suffered injuries and was delisted. Dylan got his body right, and is now a premiership player and an integral component of the most impressive line in that premiership team. Which one had more talent? I don't know to be honest. Was it just that Melbourne sucks at developing players?

Another thing is the whole "role player" thing. It's been well-documented that the light-bulb moment in Dimma changing the game plan was a decision to look at the talents the players had and to build a game plan that suited them, rather than trying to turn players into something they weren't. Tp play the roles assigned them, they have to have talents. It just so happened that we had recruited a lot of speedsters, so that was the beginning.

Guess what, speed is a talent. So is the ability to tackle, to tap the ball cleverly to advantage, and to handpass as slickly as Shane Edwards does.

Our backs are close to the best going around. Grimes and Astbury are very good players. Vlastuin and Short are gun players. We have excellent back ups in Garthwaite, Markov and Menedue. We have exciting tall forwards coming through who can easily take Townsend or Costagnas spot. All we really need is to draft a big midfielder, a running player and maybe one more tall and we are set for a while

The way in which they dominated the finals last year was very, very impressive. They are playing the same level of football so far this year. I have a family full of people who despise Richmond to the point where they almost refuse to admit that they are any good still at this point. A lot of the names in the 22 don't jump off the paper at you but often role players will kick on and become more than that, it just appears with Richmond that this player development happened so quickly and broadly across the 22. Guys like Lambert, Vlaustin, Grimes, Astbury, McIntosh etc went from being meh to genuine B+ to A- in a flash. They have had a great run with injuries but you can make your own luck with that sometimes and they have by being by far the fittest team in the comp. Which shows in their ability to outlast the opposition in the pressure stakes every single week.

They are the fittest, they have the best gameplan and they have a guy wearing number 4 who is the biggest game changer in the league right now by some distance. I think mostly everyone has started to come around to the fact that they are just the best side in the comp at the minute.

We have alot of leaders at Richmond as well.

Who cares what random fans think of Richmond haha.
Im sure the club dosnt give two shits.

That’s the best thing,any revving up of oppo teams by media or even pumping of the tyres does not infiltrate Punt Road walls.

We are a very seasoned side right now. The reason why the great sides are rated is because week after week you watched them, the commentators continually rate them and they get exposure. Our back 6 are very good, but nobody other than Rance gets commented on because he is all they can talk about. It is nauseating as a richmond supporter, can imagine how irritating it is for everyone else. Grimes almost never loses a contest, he is a machine. Astbury is very solid, Vlaustin is a wonderful player etc etc. They are only getting recognition right now because last year we were underdogs and nobody took us seriously... besides Rance of course.
Obviously Martin is special, but Prestia is a gun. Adding Conca who scraps like a pit bull allows Cotchin to get outside more and chose when to go. Before he had to do it all. Edwards can do things other plays can't, cream a bit like Johnson at Geelong. Nankervis is our best ruck man in decades.
It is not about our top 4. Our bottom depth is a bit different. Not necessarily great individual players but very pacey, very tough and very well coached.

Tigers have plenty of quality beneath their top 4.

Down back Astbury, Grimes are quality shut down types. Those two allow Rance to play with plenty of confidence. Vlaustin is a general and Houli gives great run and carry off HB.

Mids - Dusty and Cotch are the stars, but Lambert, Prestia, Caddy, Edwards are all good players and Grigg n Ellis have big engines and run all day.

Forwards - smart to realise that if you don't have good talls, to not play them. Rolling their bigger miss like Dusty and Caddy through forwards is great.

As with all teams, injury (timing of them is important). 2017 Tigers list was flying in september with barely an injury to a VFL player let alone an AFL player...and they are again looking like the team to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our 'Big 4' haven't set the world on fire at the start of this season, like they did last year.
Rance has had his average games, as has Dusty (by his standards) and Jack is not kicking 4 or 5 goals a game like he used to.
Cotchin has been excellent but against Melbourne only had 15 touches.
The load has been distributed pretty evenly and players like Edwards, Conca, Lambert etc have stood up in big moments.
I think we will have another pretty strong year.
There is a lot of belief now that we've won the flag amongst the playing group and it's showing.
Can't wait for this Sunday, going to be a cracker and a genuine 50/50 with the way Collingwood are playing at the moment.
They've been superb the last 2 weeks.
Let's hope for 90k plus at the MCG.

You don't win a premiership unless you are a very good side.
The thing for me is they seem to generate much of their scoring from opposition errors rather than creating the play. They aren't overly high scoring having only once in 2017 got a really big score.

In 2018, as the defending premier they have had a soft start and look like down hill skiers. In four games at the MCG they have beaten the teams they finished 16th, 12th, 18th and 9th as the reigning premier should. In their one game away from the G their only game against a 2017 top 8, they were beaten. They only play one other finalist from 2017 in the next 5 weeks. So even after 10 games we wont really know how good they are.

But Tiger fans. You are on top. The view is great. Expect much from your team. Raise your expectations. Expect a lengthy period of success. Accept no excuse for a poor performance. Insist on other journey deep into September. Sleep well!!!

You don't win a premiership unless you are a very good side.
The thing for me is they seem to generate much of their scoring from opposition errors rather than creating the play. They aren't overly high scoring having only once in 2017 got a really big score.

In 2018, as the defending premier they have had a soft start and look like down hill skiers. In four games at the MCG they have beaten the teams they finished 16th, 12th, 18th and 9th as the reigning premier should. In their one game away from the G their only game against a 2017 top 8, they were beaten. They only play one other finalist from 2017 in the next 5 weeks. So even after 10 games we wont really know how good they are.

But Tiger fans. You are on top. The view is great. Expect much from your team. Raise your expectations. Expect a lengthy period of success. Accept no excuse for a poor performance. Insist on other journey deep into September. Sleep well!!!

Unnecessary.

One thing they are not is downhill skiers. The game against the Dees was grind, grind, grind (you know the MCG is their HG too) with the Dees controlling long stretch's of the game. Against Carlton they were 5 goals down. Downhill skiers don't recover from that.

You can accuse them of being a lot of things, but downhill skiers is not one of them.

Unnecessary.

One thing they are not is downhill skiers. The game against the Dees was grind, grind, grind (you know the MCG is their HG too) with the Dees controlling long stretch's of the game. Against Carlton they were 5 goals down. Downhill skiers don't recover from that.

You can accuse them of being a lot of things, but downhill skiers is not one of them.
Happy to take the feedback.
Happy to say Richmond have played some very good football in 2018.
You can only beat who you play.

But teams who beat up on those out of the 8 and lose to those who were in it. Well perceptions might develop.

The Bulldog's really copped it on BF after their GF win

Still copping it today, from a point of pure jealousy in some aspects, but the fact that we snatched a flag when the opportunity was there wont ever be changed. Richmond are in a similar position from that point - ridiculed for a long time by opposition supporters and won a flag when the opportunity presented itself.

What I find more amusing to the point is where opposition supporters will respond that they

- don't care
- wont care
- never cared

Yet still manage to create threads and complain about it.

Completely different age profile.

Richmond is primed to perform now.

This is actually a really good post. Richmond had no players over 30 at the start of the season (now have tow in Shaun Hampson and Shaun Grigg). Currently, there are 5 blokes born in 1988, 1 in 1989, 2 in 1990, 4 in 1991, 4 in 1992 etc. The age profile of the list is really good in that Richmond shouldn't lose a heap of quality players all at one time. The only issue would be if players from the 1996-99 bracket didn't kick on then they would fasll off a cliff really quickly.

If the OP turns out to be a Richmond supporter I will lose faith in BF!
I dont think so, never posts in our board. May well be a Sydney resident with another club of choice though. Just a guess.
Spot on. South moving to Sydney broke my heart. Didn't watch footy for 5 years, didn't go for 10. Ironically then moved to NSW, eventually took up GWS as its the closest team.

Most of the point I'm making is the whole "Maybe its our turn" thing isnt real.

I believe only 4 teams can win this year, I want it to be us and don't want Richmond to "creep up" on everyone again and be allowed to gain momentum like last year. MCG home finals, big crowds etc. and yeah, maybe some flow-on benefits that could make them hard to beat, like umpiring and tribunal decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back