Opinion Equalisation is a myth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Between 1979 and 2000, 8 teams in a 16 team competition (highest extent) won a flag - (50% strike rate).

Between 2001 and 2022, 10 teams in a 18 team competition (highest extent) won a flag - (55.56% strike rate).

The modern game being more "equal" and less prone to domination due to "efforts to curb it" is a myth retold ad nauseam.
Have you looked at the teams who made the Grand Final since 2000 (a legitimate chance of winning the flag)? There are only three teams who haven't made the Grand Final (Carlton, North and Gold Coast).

If I decided to be more selective with the stats you could say only one team hasn't made the Grand Final since 1999 (Gold Coast).

Last edited:

As everyone else said, equalisation does not mean equal results.
Carlton for example have historically been terribly run but had big financial backers that papered over the cracks. Once they got caught and couldn't provide extra payments, the cracks become more noticeable and a club that was once the most powerful in the land has barely played finals since the 2000s.
Brisbane were a shambles for a long while, we had a clean out and hired some really great people who built an excellent culture at the club and were able to lure huge talent via free agency, when just a few years before we couldn't hold on to guys that we drafted. It's all about how the club is run from the top down.
The equalisation is to give every club an equal chance to complete, within some constraints that will not be removed any time such as travel, GF location, F/S, academies etc. It isn't about taking turns to win a premiership every 18 years.

I don't like the use of premierships as a determining factor. One team having a golden run can distort the statistics plus a lot of luck comes into winning a flag. As some have pointed out number of teams making finals and / or prelims is a better measure.

Also, I think we need to be realistic when it comes to how we view equalisation. The competition is never going to be 100% equal. Having a draft, salary cap, soft cap, restrictions on free agency, and distributions for poorer clubs gets you 90% of the way there. That makes it as equal as any sporting comp in the world and for me that is equal enough.

Aside from that different teams have their own distinct advantages that are tough to measure. The big vic clubs play in front of massive crowds and can provide great post playing career opportunities, factors that often see them land the best out of contract players. The Cats get a unique home ground despite rarely having to travel interstate and are the only club based in country Victoria. The NSW and QLD clubs have their academy's. The advantage of those is getting bigger but would those players be in the system if not for the investment of those clubs? The SA and WA clubs do very well financially (Port at times an exception) off the back of being the only clubs in footy mad states and get their pick of the returning homegrown talent. Then you have the father son rule which is a bit of a luck but a great tradition that keeps the competition interesting. The only teams you could argue don't have a distinct advantage are the smaller vic clubs but the bulldogs over the last 15 years have shown that it's still possible to have success on and off field. I'm not sure how much more equal you could make it without sterilising the compeition.

Equalisation is about providing equal opportunity, not equal outcomes.

There is now a heavily enforced salary cap that never used to exist. There’s a draft rewarding poorer teams that never previously existed. There’s a soft cap to control off field spending. All clubs have state of the art training facilities. There’s a fixture that favours the sh*tter teams from season to season and so on ….

So if teams continue to fail it’s not due to a lack of equalisation, is it? It’s due to poor culture, poor management, impatient clubs and so on ….

If clubs do everything right for long enough they’ll eventually become successful. Back in previous era’s this wasn’t necessarily the case as not all teams had equal opportunity as they do now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Between 1979 and 2000, 8 teams in a 16 team competition (highest extent) won a flag - (50% strike rate).

Between 2001 and 2022, 10 teams in a 18 team competition (highest extent) won a flag - (55.56% strike rate).

The modern game being more "equal" and less prone to domination due to "efforts to curb it" is a myth retold ad nauseam.
10 different winners in 22 years is actually pretty good I reckon.

I’m more interested in how often teams make the finals. It feels like a couple of teams have made top 8 for ~80% of the last 15 years (Sydney, Geelong, wce until recently?) which means there are really only 5 or 6 spots up each year for the other 16 teams - and often a long time out of finals contention which is not healthy for the club(s) or the competition.

Equalisation is about providing equal opportunity, not equal outcomes.

There is now a heavily enforced salary cap that never used to exist. There’s a draft rewarding poorer teams that never previously existed. There’s a soft cap to control off field spending. All clubs have state of the art training facilities. There’s a fixture that favours the sh*tter teams from season to season and so on ….

So if teams continue to fail it’s not due to a lack of equalisation, is it? It’s due to poor culture, poor management, impatient clubs and so on ….

If clubs do everything right for long enough they’ll eventually become successful. Back in previous era’s this wasn’t necessarily the case as not all teams had equal opportunity as they do now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There’s some in built advantages for some clubs though. Eg Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond get to play in big games and have money around them, so players are more likely to want to join them. And often will be prepared to join for a little bit less money.

there is more to fixture advantage than just who you double up against.

I don't like the use of premierships as a determining factor. One team having a golden run can distort the statistics plus a lot of luck comes into winning a flag. As some have pointed out number of teams making finals and / or prelims is a better measure.

Also, I think we need to be realistic when it comes to how we view equalisation. The competition is never going to be 100% equal. Having a draft, salary cap, soft cap, restrictions on free agency, and distributions for poorer clubs gets you 90% of the way there. That makes it as equal as any sporting comp in the world and for me that is equal enough.

Aside from that different teams have their own distinct advantages that are tough to measure. The big vic clubs play in front of massive crowds and can provide great post playing career opportunities, factors that often see them land the best out of contract players. The Cats get a unique home ground despite rarely having to travel interstate and are the only club based in country Victoria. The NSW and QLD clubs have their academy's. The advantage of those is getting bigger but would those players be in the system if not for the investment of those clubs? The SA and WA clubs do very well financially (Port at times an exception) off the back of being the only clubs in footy mad states and get their pick of the returning homegrown talent. Then you have the father son rule which is a bit of a luck but a great tradition that keeps the competition interesting. The only teams you could argue don't have a distinct advantage are the smaller vic clubs but the bulldogs over the last 15 years have shown that it's still possible to have success on and off field. I'm not sure how much more equal you could make it without sterilising the compeition.
I dunno about prelims but since the AFL started (or just over over the last 25 seasons really) the only team not to make a GF is the Gold Coast Suns and I don't think there have been many successful sides in any sport from the Gold Coast so perhaps they are just following that trend.

I used to get 2 medium sized pizzas for my family of 4, giving us 50% of the pizza each. Despite changing to large size pizzas recently we still only have 50% of a pizza each, this conclusively shows that size does not matter when it comes to pizza, and potentially other things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back