The Toon Army Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.newsoftheworld.co.uk said:
TYNE'S AREN'T ARFA TOUGH
Toon won't break bank
By Martin Hardy, 21/08/2010

BOSSES at Newcastle won't gamble with the club's future by re-introducing the big-money salaries that landed them £100million in debt.

The Toon splashed out a staggering £300m in transfers during their earlier time in the Premier League.

And they proved with the £120,000-a-week salary that persuaded Michael Owen to leave Real Madrid that they would compete at the top end of the market, regardless of the long-term risk.

But owner Mike Ashley is refusing to go back down the road that put them so close to financial meltdown.

Relegation meant there had to be a fire sale and a dramatic streamlining in order for the club to survive. Now Ashley wants Newcastle self-sufficient in five years as he looks to make the club's Premier League return permanent.

His new-found resolve was tested last week when French midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa flew into the North East WITHOUT any meeting having been arranged beforehand between his advisors and the club.

Ben Arfa then stunned Toon bosses with demands of more than £80,000-a-week to move there from Marseille - more than double the loose-based ceiling imposed on new player contracts at St James' Park.

The winger clearly hadn't done his homework, with even the £52,000-a-week he was picking up at Marseille way out of Newcastle's new budget. He was told to forget it and the same message went to Feyenoord midfielder Leroy Fer.

Newcastle were prepared to pay £4m for a player nicknamed 'The Bouncer' because of his physicality but he was turned away at the door when he demanded £45,000-a-week.

Manager Chris Hughton has become frustrated at the lack of team strengthening but understands the financial constraints he must work under.

He has managed to add only Sol Campbell, Dan Gosling and James Perch to the squad.

And Campbell, who could be on the bench for Newcastle's game at Wolves next week, is by far the top earner of the three with his £35,000-a-week deal.

Significantly they've all had relegation clauses inserted into their contracts and face a significant pay cut if they don't survive the drop.

Such factors were overlooked during Newcastle's last relegation when £40m had to be slashed off the wage bill in a matter of months.

0,,10278~8993712,00.jpg

0,,10278~8993713,00.jpg

On Routledge, I said around here on the night of the game I thought he was pretty average. He doesnt have any sort of final ball to back up his great runs. Jonas sorta has the problem aswell, although having Enrique running off you is alot better than Perch.

Ben Arfa would have been a million times better than Routledge.

I agree in principle with what the club is trying to do regarding salaries and "tightening the belt" financially, but they also have to be realistic.

Anyone can start a season well, but once injuries, suspensions and form slumps hit, (we have a fair few injuries already) you need depth to compete week in, week out in the EPL.

Our current starting 11 are good enough to survive the drop, but if we get a bad run of injuries, I think our depth might be tested.

I just hope we can get enough points up until the January transfer period, where we should be in a better financial position, and able to strenghten our squad a little more.

We have a "good" squad, that at it's best, and with some luck could finish top half of the table, but our depth has to be the concern at the moment.

I agree that it will all depend on our position come Christmas, if wre doing well Ashley may loosen the belt abit, but if were not and it looks like we could go down he will be tight with the funds as not to have all these players on the books again back in the Championship.

oh and

THERES ONLY ONE ANDY CARROLL,
ONE ANDY CARROLL
HES EITHER BREAKING THE LAW OR SOMEBODYS JAW,
WALKIN IN A CARROLL WONDERLAND

thought newcastle was brilliant, as said on other thread but bobby morri you can't be serious about routeledge.

he had no impact. he got the ball and ran. but losing the ball and running into players, ignoring players making good runs, into great positions is only restricting the teams potential. he really needs to run and pass, not dribble because he's limited. unfortunately he seems to think he's capable of far more than he actually is.
if he used his pace, and brain in tandem he'd be effective.

What can i say, i like speed, especially on the wings. It is something we have lacked, especially down the right. It gives us some balance, an option for someone to get behind the defensive line. he does lack a brain or a pass though. Never said he had those.

the only other right "wingers" we have is a CM in Guthrie(who goes alright) and Ryan Taylor........

I like not signing players for silly wages. We do need more players, class players, but 80K for a sooky Frenchmen is a bit excessive. but a budget is a budget.

Get to, hopefully, see Vukic in action, thats if i can find a stream for the game.

Will be great to see Vukic, Krul, Ranger, Kadar etc in action to see exactly what the state of our promising youngsters are.

Krul
R. Taylor - Tavernier - Williamson - Kadar
LuaLua - Vuckic - Guthrie - Lovenkrands
Ameobi - Ranger

Is probably the line-up we'll go with. Although there's rumours that Kadar and Guthrie are still injured, so if that's the case replace Kadar with Enrique and Guthrie with Smith/Nolan/Barton.

Am getting up for the Match V Accrington Stanley. Hopefully a big win from the Toon :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be disapointed if he leaves, I think he's the strongest CB on our list.

"Chris Hughton has revealed that Newcastle’s young players will get a run out against Accrington Stanley. The Toon boss is planning to rest the whole team that started against Aston Villa. Speaking to the Daily Star ahead of tonights League Cup clash at the Crown ground, he stated: “ It is a risk, but the team I send out will be picked for a *combination of reasons. What we don’t want to do is give * Accrington or the competition a lack of respect - but we are stretched in certain areas, particularly defence. We do have to look after our own *business and consider Saturday’s match at Wolves.” He also admitted that this could be a big chance for Haris Vuckic. The 18-year-old is being tracked by Manchester United and Hughton added: “We are looking *forward to seeing him play and believe he has a bright future. I have faith in these young players and, if I did not think we could win this game with them involved, I would not make these changes.”

Will be a very interesting line up then. Will be a real tough match.

Will be disapointed if he leaves, I think he's the strongest CB on our list.

Will be a very interesting line up then. Will be a real tough match.

Strongest CB? Are you taking the piss?

Williamson is miles better than him. Coloccini is probably better than him, and Campbell is too.

I wouldn't have him in my best team starting at CB - however he'd be my first choice at right back.

Has now:

Newcastle United have today placed defender Steven Taylor on the transfer list.

The Club will be making no further comment at this time.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100825/club-statement_2240137_2134344

Fairly sure his agent is also his dad - at least it was a couple of years ago, not sure who it is now.

I thought the club meant more to him than it obviously does. He's no different to every other money hungry footballer - they really are a dispicable breed.

He's an injury prone average defender who has been showing (without ever really fulfilling) 'promise' for about 5 years now.

Maybe if you played a game in the last year Steven...

Good riddance.

Two absolute belters. Donaldson is pretty average and him and Vukic having trouble controlling the centre of the park.

Ranger and Lua Lua though dominating the flanks.

Was pissing myself at Joey, Nolan and Smith sitting on the brick wall.

Good to get the win.

Great performances from Krul, Lua Lua and Ranger. Kadar and Vukic were good aswell.

Krul was a gun this morning. Special mention to LuaLua and Ranger. Vukic lucky to stay on the field. :thumbsu:

Not too much to be taken out of that game. Pleasing to get through with a team full of youngsters, because it gives them more experience in future rounds (I hope we keep with them, regardless of who we draw).

LuaLua showed his quality, as did Krul. The whole backline did fairly well, with Shane Ferguson impressing at LB.

Have to give Accrington Stanley some credit - they were very good and if they continue playing like that will get promoted from League 2 without a doubt.

In other news, Mike Ashley has submitted an application to the Newcastle City Council to show illuminated Sports Direct signs at the stadium.

Strange game that, from start to finish.

Some of our youngsters seem to really struggle (not only the youngsters, yes Ameobi, that means you), yet a few of them shined.

I though Lua Lua was brilliant, and could easily replace Routedledge if he got injured/suspended at any time of the season.

But Tim Krul won us that match, plain and simple, even the AS manager stated that he made 2-3 absolute world class saves (try 4-5).:D

At least we know we have some depth, and with some players hopefully returning from injury soon, our depth doesn't seem too bad.

God I hope we get a good draw in the CC though, I really see it as our best opportunity to go deep in a cup comp this year.

Jean-Claude Dassier (the president of OM for those of you who don't know) has apparently said that we've made an offer to loan Hatem Ben Arfa for a season - with an obligation to buy him as long as he plays 25 games for us.

Im going to a rarity on Steven Taylor, Im not saying pay him 60K a week but keep him in the squad under current contract. We need all the quality we can get our hands on this year and late in the season a bigger squad with more quality to rotate in what still remains for us a relegation dogfight is going to be crucial.

And if it turns out it's not a dogfight well all the better we might be playing for something with a possible bigger financial prize (unlikely I know)

So for now I say keep him and revisit this at the mid season window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back