pivotal

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2002
Canberra, Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hereford United (English Football)
News reports are filtering through that the AFL has reached a decision to shut the roof for all remaining day games in season 2019, with a view to adopting this approach for the long-term.

It seems to me there was a massive flaw in the design of the stadium at Docklands. The roof cannot be opened on a sunny - or even overcast - day without creating havoc for spectators and broadcasters alike. Surely this is an indictment on the folks who designed the stadium in the 90s. Perhaps they were aware of this problem during the design phase but couldn't do anything about it - apparently the unique north-south orientation of the ground is a contributing factor to the issue.

In my view, when the roof is closed the stadium is particularly soulless, sterile and cold. The stadium is transformed when the roof is opened and the sky can be seen overhead; it's just a pity we cant view the game!

It's a great shame the second of Melbourne's AFL stadiums suffers from a fundamental flaw in its design.

Last edited:

Yeah, it feels like a totally different stadium when the roof is open v closed. I was at the Carlton/Brisbane game a few weeks back and it was awful for the first 3 quarters, but once the sun went down, it was great to watch.
And now that the roof is closed you can have four full quarters of what you experienced in the last.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Its just a **** stadium, full-stop.

Nailed it. Wayne Jackson worst president ever for the league. It is one thing for the designers to build a s**t stadium. The fool that buys it to shut down another is the complete deadshit. Worst move made in my time of watching football.

Bulldoze it would be ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Honestly don't see why you'd ever have the roof open for games TBH. Isn't the whole point of having a roofed stadium to eliminate the elements from being a factor?

As a general comment, as someone who lives outside of Melbourne, but who has visited and attended events at Marvel Stadium, I've never really understood what's supposedly so "s**t" about it. It's in the city, central to transport, under cover and is decently comfortable. It's not the MCG, but nothing else is. I've never understood the hate.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
At the MCG, you have pockets of transition between light and dark because of the glass. At docklands, the boundaries are concrete, so you get the harsh binary light or dark scenario. When the roof is open, it also sits behind everyone on level 3, so everyone is out in the sun with no actual roof.

It's a poor, cheap design that we'll be stuck with for another 50 years until the cheapness comes out in concrete cancer and the place will have to be demolished due to safety concerns. Hopefully by then E-Gate or Princess Park will have been made useful (again).

Who woulda thought that?

Well given the mythology of the "G" it appears as though everyone wants to watch footy there regardless of the game. It just isn't true. Give me the Dome anyday with crowds that size

Docklands is awful during the day because you go from bright sunny Melbourne to concrete and fluro tubes. It's sickening.
Docklands is awesome because you go from a cold wet Melbourne day in winter to a warm dry location. It's great.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think with the original plan being to build a rectangular soccer/rugby stadium the 'footprint' was sort wrong from the start.

I also find it very quiet when the roof is on (although that may be because Carlton have been 7 goals down by Quarter time).

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Docklands is awesome because you go from a cold wet Melbourne day in winter to a warm dry location. It's great.

Any stadium with a roof is great. Look at best practice now, and the retractable portion of the roof is much larger and uses a lot more glass to allow natural light in even if the roof is closed. Docklands was built in an unfortunate time, and is now paying the consequences.

You may have a preference for Docklands, but many melburnians don't, and there's some very clear reasons for it. No one cares if it rains or not at the footy.

Any stadium with a roof is great. Look at best practice now, and the retractable portion of the roof is much larger and uses a lot more glass to allow natural light in even if the roof is closed. Docklands was built in an unfortunate time, and is now paying the consequences.

You may have a preference for Docklands, but many melburnians don't, and there's some very clear reasons for it. No one cares if it rains or not at the footy.

I like both

I just don't think Docklands is as bad as people make out (with the roof closed)

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
In early rounds (and some late rounds even) when there’s minimal dew risk, they should open the roof for night games. Looks cool. Think they’ve done it before, Essendon v Adelaide in R1 last year maybe?

Roof shut otherwise thanks

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Close it for the sunny & rainy days, keep it open for overcast afternoons with <10% chance of rain.

I love me an overcast day game at Docklands with the roof open. Notable matches of this description which I’ve attended include Geelong vs Hawthorn (2005), Hawthorn vs Collingwood (2006), Carlton vs Sydney (2011), & Carlton vs West Coast (2011).

Something so cool about the floodlights reflecting off a red sherrin, the crowd developing collective apprehension, as a nice Melbourne winter’s day turns cold, miserable, and grey.

*, I’m weird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back