Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

woah woah woah woah lets not bring tim tams into this
95 Calories per biscuit.

3 of those = high intensity training for an hour.

You're welcome.

95 Calories per biscuit.

3 of those = high intensity training for an hour.

You're welcome.

What's your resting heart rate? I would've thought you'd burn more than 300 calories an hour. Im just getting back into cycling after a 6 month lay-off, coming from a low base and although I don't take my fitbit as gospel it suggests I burn just under 1400 calories on a 40km ride. That number has dropped as I have gained more fitness.

Tim tam chat for those banned on BigCalorie.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made my way down to Subiaco to watch my first session for the year.

Players had already down their warm ups by the time I got inside the ground and were doing some kick to kick. Pretty laid back session with a few basic drills and some aflx match practice played at rather low intensity with a focus on ball movement

In short there wasn't a lot to be gleaned from what they did but the following are observations I made as I watched on

•MAllen is in ripping nick. The first player I noticed. Hopefully he stays fit unlike last year

•Ditto Duggan. He's filled out nicely with a few preseasons under his belt and finally has a proper AFL sized body

•Watson with tape on his upper right leg kicking with left leg only it seems. Later in the session he was also kicking on his right

• It's genuinely scary how much Venables looks like shuey even down to the pale skin.

• OAllen looks like a schoolboy still albeit a pretty tall one - saw him standing next to JK at the end and he's not much shorter. Shelve those thoughts of him being a mid it isn't going to happen, the boy is a KPF. Did rehab away from main group and a not insignificant amount of running at good pace

• Redden looks lean. It's always surprised me how a guy often described as an inside mid has so little bulk

• Cole in good shape and has a nice size to take the next step

• Karpany looks like a wafl player, just doesn't have the size to succeed at AFL I'm afraid

• Schofield looks like a veteran hobo

• Rioli definitely trimmer - remarkably so in fact. Appears about 10kgs lighter. He'd have to be firmly in the frame for a round 1 debut. Looks good

• **** me brayshaw is a massive lump, he'll take some shifting once he has his head over the ball. Not very agile tho. Or quick

• Venables showing a real appetite for training. Think he wants that debut sooner rather than later

• Didn't see much of him but Brander moves well for a big guy

• Rotham has grown. Comfortable third tall size now with a bit more bulk to go with it.

• Barrass leaner. Less bulk than last year which can only be a good thing

• Jk and Olongo late starters - JK ran along the boundary at good pace with no sign of discomfort whilst Olongo rode a scooter. Jk such a beast of a man, massive upper body and looks like he's been in the gym since he couldn't run

• Petrie helping out at training. I know jobs for the boys is a constant criticism of the club but I'm stoked we've found a way to keep him around the club

• Ryan a natural around goals. The thought of him and willie operating inside 50 together is a tantalising one

• No Mackenzie at all

• Naitanui did about all the training before pulling out for laps whilst they did aflx. Rejoined after. Feel better now I've seen him train as reports had me concerned about his well being but he moved better than I thought he would

• Ryan and parto doing laps late. Like a couple of the other younger guys, Parto has put on a bit of size. Watching him at WAFL I often thought the main thing holding him back was a lack of bulk as he could be moved off the ball a little too easily. Don't think that will happen as much now

• Mutimer an early finish. Came away during the aflx sim looking glum and had ice on his lower leg. I thought calf but goosage reported knee and he's probably right. Definite setback for him but not sure how serious it is

• Burrows is a nicoski father/son that no one knew about and was hidden by the club

• No masten. Came out late to walk laps

• Mitchell looks to have taken to coaching like a duck to water

The end

2 things concerning me from your training report.
Firstly its that Brayshaw is slow and lacks agility, does this mean he will lead our midfield for the next 10 years?
Secondly the fact that Masten is still on our list.
Did you really have to add any details about those two?

Everything i read about Lamb was he didnt put in any effort.

His word is worth s**t

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Apparently he trained pretty hard he was just all round soft on-field.

I feel bad that we couldn't turn him around.

I worry a lot that we are the sort of team that needs its draftees to be a very compliant bunch - granted I do realise that not everyone is cut out for AFL and shouldn't be mollycoddled too much

Buttman obviously didn't get the memo about sticking strictly to pump 'n' dump unless he enjoys having his prostate tickled as he has his wallet ripped out of his anus.

"I'm not going to get married again, I think I'll just find a woman that hates me, then buy her a house." - Willie Nelson.

Any tall forwards drafted by us know it's going to be a long wait before they'll be given a crack.

Darling and JK are untouchable. The former being particularly durable as well. There's not a huge amount of opportunities, particularly due to the fact we generally play a 2nd ruckman to accommodate Naitanui's inability to ruck a full game on his own.

You either play Ruck/FWD, or you won't be playing.

Any tall forwards drafted by us know it's going to be a long wait before they'll be given a crack.

Darling and JK are untouchable. The former being particularly durable as well. There's not a huge amount of opportunities, particularly due to the fact we generally play a 2nd ruckman to accommodate Naitanui's inability to ruck a full game on his own.

You either play Ruck/FWD, or you won't be playing.

We essentially have 6 key forwards on our list. We currently have the best traditional tall forward in the league. Darling is in the top 3 for secondary tall forwards in the league for goals. The other 4 all look to me to be AFL quality and capable. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future, how quickly and when Kennedy falls away and whether or not we lost any of the 4 younger ones to injury or lack of opportunity.

I know i'm his sponsor so it makes my opinion a little hard to believe but as a lead up full forward i think Mallen can be a very, very good player. Waterman is likely to have a career long issue with goal accuracy but outside of that he looks a genuine second/third tall type. Could even end up a very large midfielder. Brander and Oallen we'll see what happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back