Prediction The Two 2023 Grand Finalists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood vs Port Power. Dees maybe can challnge them both to make it but the rest of the comp are so far behind the top 2. Port are fit, dont get key injuries and everyone is in form and playing beyond themselves.. still cant believe with that list they are dominating. Ken has finally got it together.. they cant lose from here....

I'm going to make the early call it won't feature Port or Collingwood. IMO both have peaked too early and will run out of gas.

EgXJMjhU4AA340b

Port and the winner of Collingwood v Melbourne

Port will then be smashed in the GF like 2007
I thought that in 2021 that Melbourne would smash Port in the granny, similar to what really happened with Melbourne against The Bulldogs. I think it'd be a Collingwood vs. Melbourne Grand Final, this year.

Interestingly, more often than not the top two at this point of the season misses the grand final. On only one occasion in the past ten years has the top two at this point of the season both made the GF.
Very good point, but I feel like the teams outside the top 4, this year are too inexperienced, inconsistent or cooked. None seem like wild card contenders, the closest I feel is St Kilda, but I don't see them making the GF, either.

As a crows supporter id have to say lock in Port on current form, it will just be a matter of it is Collingwood or Melbourne. I see a lot of similarities of Port to Geelong who had failures in the 90s and early 00s and those failures fueling them to success in 2007-11. Will be similar to us in 2017 though as they most likely will come up against a team they will be outnumbered by in attendance especially if it's Collingwood, could their young guns handle that pressure? Time will tell, I actual think a big final away from home would help Port better prepare if they did happen to make a grand final.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a crows supporter id have to say lock in Port on current form, it will just be a matter of it is Collingwood or Melbourne. I see a lot of similarities of Port to Geelong who had failures in the 90s and early 00s and those failures fueling them to success in 2007-11. Will be similar to us in 2017 though as they most likely will come up against a team they will be outnumbered by in attendance especially if it's Collingwood, could their young guns handle that pressure? Time will tell, I actual think a big final away from home would help Port better prepare if they did happen to make a grand final.

More so 2014 Port near miss. I don't think they can take it to the next level with Hinkley and some list disadvantages.

I'm going to make the early call it won't feature Port or Collingwood. IMO both have peaked too early and will run out of gas.

Personally I think it'll be between Brisbane & Melbourne.

Interestingly, more often than not the top two at this point of the season misses the grand final. On only one occasion in the past ten years has the top two at this point of the season both made the GF.

Ladder positions half way through the season for the past ten years.

Indicates 1st
Indicates 2nd

Round 13 2022
Geelong - 5th
Sydney - 7th

Round 13 2021 (I'll admit this completely goes against my opinion but have included it for completeness)
Melbourne - 1st
WB - 2nd

Round 13 2020
Richmond - 5th
Geelong - 3rd

Round 13 2019
Richmond - 8th
GWS - 2nd

Round 13 2018
West Coast - 2nd
Collingwood - 6th

Round 13 2017
Richmond - 7th
Adelaide - 1st

Round 13 2016
Western Bulldogs - 6th
Sydney - 2nd

Round 13 2015
Hawthorn - 4th
West Coast- 2nd

Round 13 2014
Hawthorn - 2nd
Sydney - 3rd

Round 13 2013
Hawthorn - 1st
Fremantle - 3rd

Excuse the nuffie post, back to work.

So in 8 out of the 10 seasons, at least one of the top 2 sides as of round 13 played in the GF. And you provided this analysis as an explanation of the logic behind your opinion that neither of the top 2 sides as of round 13 this year will play in the grand final? I am not sure the data you shared quite supports your opinion the way you think it does.

Also, I am curious what people mean when they say they think a team will 'run out of gas' or similar. Every team plays the same amount of games, so I don't quite see how winning games now is reason enough to logically support a team will 'run out of gas'. Unknown injury variables can have a huge impact on a team's ability to perform at its peak come finals, is that something people think they can predict? There's got to be something more to it, doesn't there? As someone that does not have intimate knowledge of each team's training programs, game plans and strategy development, and being without a crystal ball, I'll always take current wins and ladder positions as the most reliable indicator of future finishing position probabilities.

If someone will give me even money odds that at least one of the top 2 sides currently will make it to this year's GF, I'll take that bet happily.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Collingwood
2. Port
3. Melbourne

4. Brisbane
5. Saints

Everyone else

Wet Toast

Yeah time will tell but I think they have a better midfield and possibly forward line then they had in 2014 and no dynasty hawks in their way

Port should have beaten Hawthorn in that 2014 preliminary final, they had 7 more scoring shots, essentially blowing their chance. History may repeat itself, this year, their accuracy is off.

Port and the winner of Collingwood v Melbourne

Port will then be smashed in the GF like 2007

Yea there's no team in the competition that's anywhere close to the 2007 version of Geelong. One of the Hawks dynasty teams would be the only teams to give them a run for their money in the past 20 years.

I think you should have just stopped at Essendon 2000.

Brisbane 03 and Port 04 didn't even start favourites in their respective Grand Finals...
Whats this s**t about Geelong 07 anyway. We ran them to within 6 points in the prelim and weren't a great side at all that year. They were better in 08 and 09. Just because Port were absolute dogshit in the GF doesnt mean Geelong that year were immortal. I rate the Hawks 2014 GF as the best performance ive seen since 07. Absolutely dismantled Sydney who were favourites

Whats this s**t about Geelong 07 anyway. We ran them to within 6 points in the prelim and weren't a great side at all that year. They were better in 08 and 09. Just because Port were absolute dogshit in the GF doesnt mean Geelong that year were immortal. I rate the Hawks 2014 GF as the best performance ive seen since 07. Absolutely dismantled Sydney who were favourites
And Port ran them to 3 points in the Prelim only losing with a combination of poor goal kicking and Stevic being Hawthorn's 23rd man.

OK, but Geelong have to make finals first ...

They've got heaps of improvement on last night's effort, depends how long Danger is out for now. 11 games left, 6 wins on the board, put a line through top 4 but can probably afford to drop a few more and still make the 8, as long as they're healthy in the run up to the finals, if they do that, they'll be in it up to their necks. If the injuries keep happening to key players then there's no chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back