The University Football Club board

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The University Thread

And actually, behinds were not used for countback. 5 goals 5 v 5 goals 3 was a draw. Newspapers would report it as "a draw in favour of the former", but it was counted as a draw for purposed of determining season champions (premiers).

And, yes, I stickied the thread because I thought Uni deserved a higher profile.

Yeah, good point Mobbenfuhrer, the behinds-as-countback system was just a common means of informally deciding the winner of a draw - nothing relevant, but informal bragging rights were at stake...

Re: The University Thread

University FC's first real hit out, against one of the strongest junior clubs in South Yarra, Apr 25, 1885. Note that Uni are already being referred to as the "black and blues".

The Argus, Monday April 27, 1885

FOOTBALL
UNIVERSITY V. SOUTH YARRA
The new senior football club, the University, opened the season last Saturday, in a match against 23 of South Yarra, on the old St. Kilda football ground. The match was supposed to start at 3 o'clock, but it was fully half-past before the ball was kicked off. Cussen was unanimously elected captain of the University, and having won the toss from Rusden, the skipper of the South Yarra team, he decided to kick down hill. A very fair number of spectators were present. Very shortly after the start of the game, South Yarra scored first behind, but upon the ball being kicked off the University forced it down hill, where Gleeson got hold of it, and by some smart play obtained first goal for the "blue and black."
Kicked off again from the centre, Cussen marked and sent the ball a long way down hill, when after a good deal of scrimmaging Gleeson again distinguished him- self by kicking second goal for the University. After this South Yarra pulled themselves together, and gave the University backs some trouble, But Kelly, Cussen, and Syme proved equal to the occasion, and piloted the ball out of danger. Play was then continued to the centre of the ground for some time until Rusden collared the ball, and by passing it on quickly South Yarra scored their second behind. From the kick off Shaw ,ade a splendid mark ; a good kick and Thom- son escaped his man and marked very cleverly. Another pass on and Angwin got the ball within easy distance of the posts, but failed to score, only adding another behind to the University. South Yarra kicked off, and some good ruck play took place, Corr Peterson, and Gleeson distinguishing themselves for the University, and Meader playing a most useful game for the juniors. Soon afterwards half time uas called, and, after tho usual quarter ot an hour's spell, the ball was again put in play, and was quickly sent to the South Yarra end of the ground, where Walters secured it and made a good run and kick, but J. Thompson for the University did not allow it to travel very far, but again sent it up to the enemy's quarters, where some smart marking between Griffiths, Rogers, and Angwin took place, and soon afterwards Shaw se- cured third goal for the University. Kicked off from the centre by South Yarra, when Kelly marked, and sent it down the left wing to Shaw, who here made the best run of the day, and by his efforts the Univer- sity scored another behind. Kicked off again, the ball was rushed down to the University end, and here only for some fumbling a goal would have resulted, the juniors only succeeding in scoring a behind. Play non became much faster, and South Yarra scored four more behinds in quick succession, but the Uni-
versity then picked up a bit, Rogers making some very useful runs about this time, and Power showing up well, the ball was once more sent into South Yarra territory, where Thomson got a mark and had a place- kick, but only managed to score a behind. For the next 10 minutes the South Yarra posts were in great danger, and Power passing on to Angwin, the latter scored fourth goal for the University by a good drop- kick. After this no more goals were kicked, only a behind resulting from a try by Rogers, and the game ended in a victory for the University by four goals to nil. The ball all through the game went out of bounds very often, but the central umpire gave every satisfaction. For the University, Shaw, Corr, Kelly, Cussen, Gleeson, Thomson, and Peterson showed up well ; whilst for the juniors, Varley, Walters, Brooks, Meader, and Rusden especially distinguished them-selves.

Roy Park is a former player with University, who was the club's leading goalkicker for its final three seasons of VFL competition. Following University's demise, he found his way to Melbourne for a season, ending his career on just 57 games, at the age of 23. Despite three years of solid service with the Students, Roy Park never played in a victory with University. His record number of goals per match is 5, on 8 occassions (7 with Uni, 1 with Melb). He kicked the most goals for University of any player, with 111 (24 more than Hartkopf, his nearest contender, who played for the entirety of University's short VFL history). Prior to the finals in 1913, he was the league leading goalkicker with 53 goals - considering their winlessness that season, this is an amazing feat...

Roy Park is a former player with University, who was the club's leading goalkicker for its final three seasons of VFL competition. Following University's demise, he found his way to Melbourne for a season, ending his career on just 57 games, at the age of 23. Despite three years of solid service with the Students, Roy Park never played in a victory with University. His record number of goals per match is 5, on 8 occassions (7 with Uni, 1 with Melb). He kicked the most goals for University of any player, with 111 (24 more than Hartkopf, his nearest contender, who played for the entirety of University's short VFL history). Prior to the finals in 1913, he was the league leading goalkicker with 53 goals - considering their winlessness that season, this is an amazing feat...
Roy Park is a bit of a legend. Around here, we usually refer to him as Brunswick Street.

The three University coaches in the VFL:

Mick Grace (1910)
Win rate: 55.6%

Gerald Brosnan (1911-1912, 1914)
Win rate: 3.7%

Victor Upton-Brown (1913)
Win rate: 0%

Slight addition to the story of Roy Park...

After the magnificent heights of Season 1913, Park was reported in 1914 for striking - a charge which three witnesses claimed did not happen. Park turned his back on the league at that point.

'A CHEERING VERSE':
The University Club Song

"With best of morals, I embue
The lines of this, my closing stanza
You in the other ground, and you
Who look on from the members' stand, sir
If you must barrack, then should be
Your war cry, 'University!'"

'A CHEERING VERSE':
The University Club Song

I like the rhyming of "stanza" with "stand, sir". :D

'A CHEERING VERSE':
The University Club Song

It's certainly no 'We are the boys from old Fitzroy' is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'A CHEERING VERSE':
The University Club Song

Very interesting, however I find it is a bit of an unusual song, do you know what year it was written (when the club formed?)?

A very relevant point here is that when University disbanded, its remaining players joined Melbourne, and, even though University had won only one of its last seventy games, its remaining players strengthened Melbourne enough to move them from only two wins against University in 1914 to nine wins and their first finals berth since 1902 in 1915.
This is from another thread on the Fitzroy board but I found it interesting.

First time posting in this thread, feels weird but i thought this was worth posting...

Before todays game University Blues 4 wins 4 losses, Collegians 8 wins 0 losses..

University Blues 20.15.135 d Collegians 3.9.27, must have been Champaign footy today at Melbourne Uni by the Blues....:thumbsu:

dunno much about them

but

I understood a lot of the
uni players didn't return from the
first war the rest went to play for
melbourne
yes no?

To make a long story short, yep. Thats pretty much what happened, they were a struggling club before the war, too very heavy losses and were unable to get a side together that could compete at the top level after the war. As far as I'm aware most of the players that did turn up again in the VFL played for Melbourne.
University ended up fielding sides again in a few comps before winding up in the VAFA. At one point they had three clubs Uni Blues, Uni Blacks and Uni Reds.
The Blues and Blacks are both in the top couple of divisions in the Ammo's and the Reds went on to true greatness.

I want to know why this is in the Fitzroy board...

It was a response to one of the lines that is trotted out every now and again on the "why is there a Fitzroy board" thread. People make the fairly flippant remark that if there is a Fitzroy board they want a Uni one... So here it is.

It was a response to one of the lines that is trotted out every now and again on the "why is there a Fitzroy board" thread. People make the fairly flippant remark that if there is a Fitzroy board they want a Uni one... So here it is.

And isn't it funny how the same people wanting a University board, never comment about the deeds of University in this one. Obviously there's so much about University in the VFL to discuss these days. Are there any supporters of University from their days in the VFL still alive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back