The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's more people like you have a closed mind and ignore the very basics of science.

My science knowledge is indeed basic matric back (physics & chem) ... I'd guess my understanding of both sides of the argument is fine, you?

I've had well qualified engineers report to me in business if thats relevant.

My science knowledge is indeed basic matric back (physics & chem) ... I'd guess my understanding of both sides of the argument is fine, you?

So what part of the "argument" for climate change would you like to dispute?

Are you querying the science behind the greenhouse effect phenomena, which was first observed nearly 200 years ago?

Are you questioning the ability for humans to accurately monitor the historic carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere by examining ice cores from the arctic and antarctic?

Are you not sure that humans can adequately determine how much carbon dioxide they produce into the atmosphere by making calculations based off the amount of fossil fuels that we know we've burnt?

Are you having doubts about the ability to measure the strength of sunlight penetrating the atmosphere?

I am a well qualified engineer, please let me help you.

Are you querying the science behind the greenhouse effect phenomena, which was first observed nearly 200 years ago?

Are you questioning the ability for humans to accurately monitor the historic carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere by examining ice cores from the arctic and antarctic?

Are you not sure that humans can adequately determine how much carbon dioxide they produce into the atmosphere by making calculations based off the amount of fossil fuels that we know we've burnt?

Are you having doubts about the ability to measure the strength of sunlight penetrating the atmosphere?

As I said, indeed as you quoted:

Perhaps you might review the context of my comment, compre?

As I said, indeed as you quoted:

Perhaps you might review the context of my comment, compre?
If the bolded were true, you'd know yourself that there really wasn't an argument about it (hence my " " in the previous post) and you wouldn't be whinging about how "one side" is argued. If you disagree with the scientific theory of climate change without any new, well-observed and conclusive evidence to bring to the table, you're just plain wrong.

The arrogance of people who think they know better than 98% of scientists without themselves being scientist - oh, but some engineers reported to me!!! - never ceases to amaze.

There's a reason that the only people still debating this are shock jocks and politicians with an interest in coal. It's because the science of it is settled.

If the bolded were true, you'd know yourself that there really wasn't an argument about it (hence my " " in the previous post) and you wouldn't be whinging about how "one side" is argued. If you disagree with the scientific theory of climate change without any new, well-observed and conclusive evidence to bring to the table, you're just plain wrong.

Given you appear to know what you are talking about, I draw your attention to my comments about the inability to prosecute an argument - clearly you didnt take in Simon Holmes A Court responding to the pro coal position of Richo, not anti climate change, but pro coal. This may not be the terms on which you choose to couch the argument, its Richo's though & you'd be the wiser if you found it & listened to both sides of the discussion.

Personally I'm not against climate change reality, I'm pro reliable, cheap power for ordinary people & jobs, aka industry in Australia for Australians, just as China looks after its citizens, India or Japan or Germany or the US.

The arrogance of people who think they know better than 98% of scientists without themselves being scientist - oh, but some engineers reported to me!!! - never ceases to amaze.

There's a reason that the only people still debating this are shock jocks and politicians with an interest in coal. It's because the science of it is settled.

I suggested I had some idea of dealing with that profession, no more ... yes I can go back to the hole in the ozone layer, doom & gloom, or the Tim Flannery doctrine that the dams would never fill again as examples of the failure of science to prosecute its position.
Still I do accept the climate change argument, difficult as it may be for those in the ivory tower of knowledge, more specifically the seat in which you sit, cool nob!!
Not suggesting you are arrogant, blinkered yes.

I suggested I had some idea of dealing with that profession, no more ... yes I can go back to the hole in the ozone layer, doom & gloom, or the Tim Flannery doctrine that the dams would never fill again as examples of the failure of science to prosecute its position.
Still I do accept the climate change argument, difficult as it may be for those in the ivory tower of knowledge, more specifically the seat in which you sit, cool nob!!
Not suggesting you are arrogant, blinkered yes.

Complains about being misrepresented -> goes onto misrepresent.

Suggesting I sit in "an ivory tower of knowledge" is the exact opposite of what I did. I never claimed to have any scientific knowledge. But we used believe the most qualified experts in any field when they told us something important, be they scientists or doctors or whatever - we didn't try and howl them down with anti-intellectualist bullshit motivated by vested interests.

flannery-ultimate-prediction-600.gif

I think you need to understand the difference between coking coal and coal for power. Your lack of knowledge combined with attempts to pass this off as some sort of coal revolution is disturbingly bad. Not surprising, you go in half cocked everywhere because you feel like leftists must be yelled at, even if you have no evidence or knowledge of the topic.

Also, where is your source on Europe building coal power stations at record levels?
check the coal export levels!
then look at the prices
then look up private investment like ive pointed out a few!
yes there are several different types of coal, coking, seaborn etc, every mine exports something different and larger mines has several different qualities!
look at the links ive showed you for the Galilee basin! its low quality coal deposits with mega mines being developed, gina rein hart, triggy forest etc are all pumping money in to the area

now look at the past 100 years of coal and the cycles it runs in every 8 to 10 years it booms, then apparently is going to go out of industry then comes around again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no argument outside of Minerals Council sponsored crap. Stop reading Rupert's s**t.

Are you suggesting the mining industry doesn’t like renewables?

Cough cough rate earths, cobalt, copper, vanadium, lithium, zinc, industrial minerals

The mining industry is loving this transition!

https://reneweconomy.com.au/alan-jones-made-josh-frydenberg-look-like-moderate-21752/

How Alan Jones made Josh Frydenberg look like a moderate

Jones was fulminating, and absolutely convinced of himself as he ranted against renewables, Snowy 2.0, and women who dare to point out the obvious

But what does he read? One suspects, based on his ill-informed comments, mostly right-wing blogs and climate denier websites. Or the Murdoch media, which often amounts to much the same thing.

Complains about being misrepresented -> goes onto misrepresent.

Suggesting I sit in "an ivory tower of knowledge" is the exact opposite of what I did. I never claimed to have any scientific knowledge. But we used believe the most qualified experts in any field when they told us something important, be they scientists or doctors or whatever - we didn't try and howl them down with anti-intellectualist bullshit motivated by vested interests.

Guess its my experience with professionals of all types to not simply believe, even a doctor regularly suggests getting a second opinion.

Anti Intellectual only in that I have long stopped paying annual fees. When both sides of an argument chuck out spin as fact, climate change gets to be a political football & proponents of both sides can hide behind 'vested interests'.

You'd battle to find any example of vested interest in any comment I make on renewable interest, certainly vested interest in the GST issue (place of birth) or on footy matters (thru the googles we Eagles supporters to view all matters).
I am guilty of reading the Murdoch Press & the ABC, idiot I may be, I can & do make up my own mind.

Last edited:
It makes me smile that Germany has done so much in renewables over 20 years to reduce CO2. yet by closing down their nuclear, they are right back to where they started.

It's interesting given co2 is such an issue only to concede it isn't

So how do you deal with those building plants that will operate for 40+ years.

My interest in dispatchable power on the east coast of Aus - remember the SA experience, it can happen.
They won't be running in 20 years. Stranded assets. SA was wind pushing over power lines. When we have issues on the East coast it's when old thermal generators s**t themselves in the heat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back