Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious to see the Eagles are tweeting an image with the caption 'BE SEEN AT THE GAME IN YOUR 2016 CLUB GUERNSEY' with a 2013 royal guernsey.

CeTebobUAAAEWta.jpg

Never seen this one before. Really thought they would wait until the Grand Final was played until they made any of these. I remember seeing the Swans version in shops in October 2005, and remember really wishing it was an Eagles version, little did I know they actually made one!!

_57_zpsai1vd5p1.jpg

_57_zps1z0q28gg.jpg

Saw this on eBay, not sure if it's still up but I was tempted to bid at it.

Ive just come back from America and seen their way of life with things. Were so ******* vanilla here

This is an example of people (media, columnists etc) (Not you Steve J), needing to get the * over themselves and stop wasting peoples time trying to make something from nothing.
* off

Seriously don't see any problem with it?

Wow. Ok.

You didn't answer my question.

I wouldn't be using it in any form of PR, no. Anyone who searches that term is not going to find the guernsey, rather the historical meaning and controversy behind that phrase. It would be better for a professional club to distance themselves from any controversy.

But it's not a very well-known term either; 98% of people would have no idea what Yellow Peril was, probably due to the fact it hasn't really been mentioned in like 70 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In general, words are not racist, but the sentiment behind them is. Ok sometimes people may take serious offence to a word being uttered, whether it is meant offensively that way or not, but please, if you are offended so much, just politely inform the person who said it. If the person didn't mean it to be taken that way, 99% of the time they will edit it (if its online) and apologise for their error.

Especially when the term is not widely known. It may just be my age, but I only associated 'yellow peril' with the jumper until I saw that article. I had never heard of it as some racist slur.

But it's not a very well-known term either; 98% of people would have no idea what Yellow Peril was, probably due to the fact it hasn't really been mentioned in like 70 years

98%?? There's no way I can agree with that.

It's a distinctly racist phrase. The words "yellow" and "peril" have been drawn together for one reason and one reason only in history, and that a racist one.

Any other use of the term is just a cultural reference to the racist one.

I don't consider myself one of the professionally offended, but I'm seriously shocked an organisation would actually use the term to market something yellow. And that people wouldn't see a problem with it.

98%?? There's no way I can agree with that.

It's a distinctly racist phrase. The words "yellow" and "peril" have been drawn together for one reason and one reason only in history, and that a racist one.

Any other use of the term is just a cultural reference to the racist one.

I don't consider myself one of the professionally offended, but I'm seriously shocked an organisation would actually use the term to market something yellow. And that people wouldn't see a problem with it.
Just think of it as an appropriation of the term for a new and benign purpose.

I've heard of the saying "Yellow Peril" as a racist or derogatory term, but its not like a professional sporting club, something that connects with so many different types of people, is going to openly offend a ethnic group.

I think all should be forgiven here. Innocent mistake and just rename it. Whoever decided to use the yellow peril term at wce wouldn't have had a clue like 99% of us. There parents probably weren't even born when 'yellow peril' was bandied around

When's the last time you've heard that term in use at all? For good bad or otherwise?

It's hardly on the same levels as the 'n word' or similar
To be fair the term yellow peril has been taught in the Australian History curriculum for the past eight years so any student of history would be well aware of it.

Hell, this was written only last year, and the racist connotations are clear.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...l/news-story/94a538e96f62bd50117f2ec7806ce3aa

To be fair the term yellow peril has been taught in the Australian History curriculum for the past eight years so any student of history would be well aware of it.

Hell, this was written only last year, and the racist connotations are clear.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...l/news-story/94a538e96f62bd50117f2ec7806ce3aa
Is that so? Can you tell me which part of the Australian Curriculum it is? I only ask because even though the Australian Curriculum says it, states are still allowed to pick and choose what they teach in their individual syllabi. There is a high chance that schools don't teach it, especially not a specific term like the "Yellow Peril"

Is that so? Can you tell me which part of the Australian Curriculum it is? I only ask because even though the Australian Curriculum says it, states are still allowed to pick and choose what they teach in their individual syllabi. There is a high chance that schools don't teach it, especially not a specific term like the "Yellow Peril"

As someone who studied Education at university level, I can confirm that in the new Australian curriculum, its not a "pick and choose". All schools are expected to teach the new Australian Curriculum to its fullest which does include Australian history and as such, "yellow peril".

I think that Shauna (the club's social media lass) had best intentions in mind with trying to connect the club with the fans there but maybe its best left as a fan expression- the club doesn't need to be dragged through the mud for this.

Although I will admit I had a giggle when some Asian guy on Perthnows Facebook page was like "the club should donate all proceeds from the game to Asian communities!"

why tho.

Yeah it's dumb as * to actually professionally use that term. Any shades of racism in a professional environment is inevitably going to end up offending someone down the line. Whether you agree with that or not, surely you'd have to question the choice of the PR team for inviting it.

The line "oh no one has used it in 70s years" is pretty dumb as well. I don't think anyone genuinely uses the word 'boong' anymore but if a club started calling their jumper the Boong Basher, people would have a right to be upset. Ultimately the phrase came from xenophobia when Five Pound Poms were preferential to Asians coming to Australia. You sort of can't ignore that. It's a bit like how people say "Japs" is just a shortening, when in actuality that phrase started during the war. It was a word made up to describe the enemy! The enemy they wanted to kill! Barely a term of endearment.

Saying this as someone who laughs/feels alienated by the micro-aggression posters at uni. Barely oversensitive, but playing naive and saying people are overreacting is a bit over the top. Ultimately it was once a racist slur. Of course people are going to note that and find a professional organisation using it to be weird at the least, insensitive and hurtful at the most.

As someone who studied Education at university level, I can confirm that in the new Australian curriculum, its not a "pick and choose". All schools are expected to teach the new Australian Curriculum to its fullest which does include Australian history and as such, "yellow peril".

I think that Shauna (the club's social media lass) had best intentions in mind with trying to connect the club with the fans there but maybe its best left as a fan expression- the club doesn't need to be dragged through the mud for this.

Although I will admit I had a giggle when some Asian guy on Perthnows Facebook page was like "the club should donate all proceeds from the game to Asian communities!"

why tho.
As an Education graduate as well, I know it can be. We have the Australian curriculum and (here in NSW) we've got the NSW Syllabus. Teachers are expected to reach the NSW as it is based on the Australian with a few tweaks here and there. I may have not said it in the correct way, hence "pick and choose" but it's not 100% what teachers teach. Often they'll teach the State syllabus.

http://www.acara.edu.au/verve/_reso...lum_Implementation_Timelines_July_2014_v2.pdf

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back