Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So just found something interesting, well interesting to me anyway:D.

While looking through some 06 Grand Final pics, I came across a pic of Waters collecting his medal and signing the team song after the game, in a guernsey with no manufacturers tag?? We know a few players were wearing the black tag, 05 guernseys on the day (Waters, Banfield, Braun, maybe a few more, but they're the ones I've seen for sure)

Strange thing is, in the article earlier this year, about Hunter and Waters getting their guernseys back after they were stolen, Beau's guernsey clearly has the black tag on it?? Sorry about the s**t photo quality, they were just screen shots from my phone, but you get the idea.

View attachment 425817 View attachment 425818

So did the players wear 2 on the day?? If so, what happened to all the second ones? Were they ever auctioned?
I guess checking out footage of the first half would be a help
Yep. Players often change guernsey at half time, especially in grand finals. This way they're able to flog one off at an auction and keep the other for themselves.

And here we are. This is from the first half. Manufacturer tag still attached.
37205.jpg

This says way more about Puma's quality control than anything else.

But really nice spot anyway, MIKE85, not many people would have thought to check.

Just proves that at least some players wore more than 1 on the day, so where are they all??

Both the Richmond and crows auction sites for this years GF guernseys state that there will be 3 guernseys, one for auction, one for the player, and one the clubs historical society?? What the hell is that?? And why would they need an entire set?

Just proves that at least some players wore more than 1 on the day, so where are they all??

Both the Richmond and crows auction sites for this years GF guernseys state that there will be 3 guernseys, one for auction, one for the player, and one the clubs historical society?? What the hell is that?? And why would they need an entire set?
$$$$$

I don't recall seeing players changing jumper at 1/4 or 3/4 time, so at least one of those sets would have to be not match-worn (probably the "historical society" ones).

I don't recall seeing players changing jumper at 1/4 or 3/4 time, so at least one of those sets would have to be not match-worn (probably the "historical society" ones).
I was thinking the same thing. They remained on-field during the quarter breaks and a guernsey change would have been noted.

It can't have been pre- or post-game given that both teams wore warm-up tops and why bother changing after you've just won (or lost) the GF?

Does anyone actually remember the 06 guernseys being auctioned though?? Surely we would've seen at least 1 pop up for sale by now?
Good question... Might have been sold. Might have been chucked out. A greedy board member may have taken some. The players might have kept both?

I was thinking the same thing. They remained on-field during the quarter breaks and a guernsey change would have been noted.

It can't have been pre- or post-game given that both teams wore warm-up tops and why bother changing after you've just won (or lost) the GF?

Admittedly my head was in my hands basically from half way through the third quarter onwards, so I could have missed it.

Not sure why a Historical society would need and entire set though?? I can understand the captain maybe, or a few, so one could be hung in the offices or like they do on the stairs at subi oval, but a whole set seems like a waste.

Or they didn't change at half-time and the manufacturer's tag simply fell off at some stage.

~triple post~

Nah because the pic from this year shows beau holding his Gf guernsey, and it has a tag on it, so it's his one he wore in the first half that got stolen. So what happened to his one he was wearing for the second half, and the celebrations etc?

Nah because the pic from this year shows beau holding his Gf guernsey, and it has a tag on it, so it's his one he wore in the first half that got stolen. So what happened to his one he was wearing for the second half, and the celebrations etc?

Maybe the one returned to him (with the tag) was not the one that was actually stolen (sans tag)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles have never auctioned off grand final Jumpers. Ben cousins 06 and jack darling 15 are the only ones I have seen make it to the private market

Eagles have never auctioned off grand final Jumpers. Ben cousins 06 and jack darling 15 are the only ones I have seen make it to the private market

I think they do as my old boss has Tony Evans 1992 premiership jumper on the wall of his box at Subiaco Oval.

Didn't Brandon Ellis have blue paint on his jumper in the first quarter? He definitely had it in the final quarter, so I don't think he changed jumpers.

Players on the winning team usually wear their guernsey after the game (and for the next week or so for that matter) so these could possibly be the third jumpers.

Sorry never took any...

I assume he will take it over to the new stadium so you might see it then...but not sure if the box set up will be the same over the new stadium where a company can have first dibs on every event at the ground and dress the box up the way they want...

Was just about to post this but you beat me to it ^^
Expecting and would accept a sponsor/logo change (though I have a preference for a status quo, especially with regards to keeping Puma)
Really hoping that the navy isn't scrapped in favour of white :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back