Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,
Been following the board for a few years but never posted. Things are getting interesting so thought I would join the conversation

1) How did you come to be a Pies fan?
Dad barracks for Collingwood, grew up going to vic Park each week
2) How old were you when you went to/watched your first game?
First game I remember is the 1990 grand final. I was 5, and couldn't see over the fence
3) Who's your favourite Collingwood player?
current is Maynard, used to love Paul Williams and mcGuane
4) What is your favourite Collingwood moment?
2018 preliminary was the most enjoyable game I have ever been to

Cheers

Kind of just choose them as a team around 1999/2000. I grew up in Canberra a rugby league but so never really seriously followed AFL till 2009.

Grew up in Canberra, moved to qld in 2004. Thjnk the first AFL game I went to was LIONS V WEST COAST then was the dogs.
I didn’t goto a collingwood game till they played the Suns at Metricon.
Buckley. Love Darcy Moore.

2010 gf… but also attending the 18 gf.

Long time listener, first time caller?

A bit nervous about taking your first tentative steps into the maelstrom that is BigFooty?

That's all cool, we were all newbies once, we know what it's like.

Why not introduce yourself by letting us know a little about yourself.

Here's some questions to help you!:

Oh and last, but definitely not least, welcome to the Collingwood forum on BigFooty :thumbsu:

Been a pies fan for over 50 years

10 years old - Linton St Moorabbin watching Phil Carman kick 11 against the Saints

Ray Shaw (no 23 - been my favourite number ever since)

1990 Grand Final - coz of the draw, finals were pushed out by one week,,, Was a best man at my mates wedding the day of the grand final and instead of being in the Cheer Squad, was in a penguin suit at the Church

Been a pies fan for over 50 years

10 years old - Linton St Moorabbin watching Phil Carman kick 11 against the Saints

Ray Shaw (no 23 - been my favourite number ever since)

1990 Grand Final - coz of the draw, finals were pushed out by one week,,, Was a best man at my mates wedding the day of the grand final and instead of being in the Cheer Squad, was in a penguin suit at the Church

I was invited to a mate's wedding, but I ditched the wedding! Who plans a wedding so close to the GF!?

1) How did you come to be a Pies fan? I was actually a Tigers fan, but a lady down the street from my Gran gave me a hand-me-down Collingwood jumper when I was about 4 or 5 and I just swapped from that day onward :)
2) How old were you when you went to/watched your first game? Very young as dad is an MCC member, I would think maybe 3 or 4.
3) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? S. Rocca
4) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 1990 Premiership.

Good morning all as a recent retiree - thank you Covid :oops::rolleyes: - I now have time in my life to indulge my passions and of course the biggest of those is Collingwood.
As the youngest in a Collingwood family the club has always been a part of my life from my earliest memories, after dinner talk always included the club and players.
I remember my first Collingwood game so well, it was 1960 and our first home game V the Roys - LOVED my first live sight of Kevin Rose!! And of course we thumped them.
Favorite player no surprise of course Daics.
Standing in the crowd at the G with tears in my eyes and unholy joy in my heart watching Pants hold that pill high in triumph and Shawy tear up is my most cherished Collingwood moment.

It was a choice of Collingwood or ... actually, it was just Collingwood
Not sure - I remember my sister took me to Windy Hill, didn't understand much - my strongest recollection was being unable to get back over the fence after half time
Loved John Greening, such a beautiful mover and so clean with the footy - for those too young, think of Chris Judd but a better kick - I remember he kicked 6 goals one day playing in the centre. Funny thing, it wasn't until the 2009 Grand Final when I couldn't work out why I was so anti StK winning the flag - until I remembered the Jim O'Dea incident (Greening was king hit behind play by StK play O'Dea and hospitalized for weeks - he was never the same)
3 moments - my first attendance in the Collingwood Members at Victoria Park, my daughter and I @ ANZAC Day and the 1990 Premiership.

Growing up in Essendon I had mad keen Collingwood neighbours against the full on Essendon mob all around us. They took me to the MCG in 1971 when I was 8 and we saw many of the greats players. Tudenham, Mc Kenna (who booted nine that day) etc. Richmond had Ian Stewart (who was sublime) and other stars too. Big crowd - huge noise and the Pies won. After that I was hooked

8 years old - same game above

Father of Nick and Josh - saw him at Vic Park a couple of times and the crowd always rose as one when he got anywhere near the ball

Leigh Matthews pumping his arms in the air at the 1990 Grand Final and we all knew we were going to win.

Last edited:
How did you come to be a Pies fan?

Mum and Dad both barracked for Collingwood

The earliest game I remember was the 1990 grand final. I was 5.

No real favourite these days but used to love Likka and Taz.

West coast prelim win in Perth (2007).

Dads a pies fans didn’t have a choice
2) How old were you when you went to/watched your first game? 7 when I first went to a game but don’t remember when I started watching on TV
3) Who's your favourite Collingwood player? Josh Daicos
4) What is your favourite Collingwood moment? 2011 prelim comeback

How did you come to be a Pies fan?

Mum and Dad both barracked for Collingwood

The earliest game I remember was the 1990 grand final. I was 5.

No real favourite these days but used to love Likka and Taz.

West coast prelim win in Perth (2007).

Shout out for the very innovative user-name. :) Welcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think I've done this here so....

My Dad and brother supported Collingwood and Dad said he was going to buy membership tickets for the first time. He said if I wanted to go to the footy Id have to follow Collingwood. That was 1965. Been a member ever since.

The earliest game I can remember is being at Windy Hill to watch Collingwood play Essendon in a draw in 1961 - I was 4 years old. I remember being at the game but don't remember watching much of the game.

All time - John Greening, Wayne Richardson and Peter McKenna. Currently Brodie Mihocek (went to school with his Dad)

2010 and 1990 GF wins,
1972 Queens Birthday game v Essendon when Tuddy came back to VP and was booed as we thrashed them and McKenna kicked 13
1969 v South Melbourne when McKenna kicked 16 4 100 (same day Lionel Rose lost his world title to Ruben Olivares)
1969 Collingwood v Carlton at Princes Park when we kicked 12 5 77 in third quarter and Greening kicked 7 as an 18 year old ruck rover.
2010 PF v Geelong.

Last edited:

My Dad and brother supported Collingwood and Dad said he was going to but membership tickets for the first time. He said if I wanted to go to the footy Id have to follow Collingwood. That was 1965. Been a member ever since.

The earliest game I can remember is being at Windy Hill to watch Collingwood play Essendon in a draw in 1961 - I was 4 years old. I remember being at the game but don't remember watching much of the game.

All time - John Greening, Wayne Richardson and Peter McKenna. Currently Brodie Mihocek (went to school with his Dad)

2010 and 1990 GF wins,
1972 Queens Birthday game v Essendon when Tuddy came back to VP and was booed as we thrashed them and McKenna kicked 13
1969 v South Melbourne when McKenna kicked 16 4 100 (same day Lionel Rose lost his world title to Ruben Olivares)
1969 Collingwood v Carlton at Princes Park when we kicked 12 5 77 in third quarter and Greening kicked 7 as an 18 year old ruck rover.
2010 PF v Geelong.
You've witnessed some quality games, Maggie! The more I hear about Greening the more I lament his 'treatment' that day. It still irks me that little is discussed about it.

My Dad and brother supported Collingwood and Dad said he was going to but membership tickets for the first time. He said if I wanted to go to the footy Id have to follow Collingwood. That was 1965. Been a member ever since.

2010 and 1990 GF wins,
2010 PF v Geelong.
Oh the memories! That 1969 game at Princess park was one of my favourite wins. I was ten years old and pushed my way to the front but was still only able to catch glimpses of the action.However I got a perfect view of one of Greening's seven goals and the atmosphere was electric in that third term. I remember that as the day I felt I belonged to a tribe. A drunk Pie man ruffled my hair after the game and screamed "Go Pies!" and I felt so happy it's hard to explain.

My favourite wins are the one point win against Fitzroy in the 1980 semi final (Brewer snapped the winning goal) the two preliminary final wins against Geelong in 1980 and 1981, the upset against Port in the qualifying final in 2002, the preliminary final against Adelaide in 2002 (Rocca's 75 metre goal brought the loudest roar I've ever heard at the G) the prelim win against the Hawks in 2011 and the 2010 prelim win against Geelong.

There have been many other fantastic wins over the years. Our crazy comeback against the Tigers in 1987 out at Waverley, the day Carmen kicked 11 out at Moorabbin in another come from behind win and many more. Oh what a ride it has been!
I loved the same three as you- Greening, Wayne Richardson and McKenna but I'll throw in Barry Price as another I adored. Tongue out as he broke free and hit Macca on the chest. He oozed class.

A bit nervous about taking your first tentative steps into the maelstrom that is BigFooty?

Oh and last, but definitely not least, welcome to the Collingwood forum on BigFooty :thumbsu:
Hi

my name is NITIN( Born in india ), i came to Australia in 2006. After watching Pies smashed Geelong by 86 points in 2008 and living in Northern Suburbs at that time became a big fan. i postponed by marriage in 2010 september because i was confident pies will win 2010 premiership.... now Collingwood runs in my blood. i regularly takes my little one to the games along with my wife at mcg.

Hi

my name is NITIN( Born in india ), i came to Australia in 2006. After watching Pies smashed Geelong by 86 points in 2008 and living in Northern Suburbs at that time became a big fan. i postponed by marriage in 2010 september because i was confident pies will win 2010 premiership.... now Collingwood runs in my blood. i regularly takes my little one to the games along with my wife at mcg.
Brilliant!

Thanks

i want to spread AFL game in my Indian community especially younger kids. I gift my nephew and kids of my friends COLLINGWOOD GUERNSEYS on their Birthdays and take them to footy.
Good stuff - get them hooked early. It's an addiction that is very hard to shake :)

Hi

I remember that game in 2008. I went with my best mate who is an MCC member and a massive Cats fan. It wasn't a good game for him 😄 We still had a good night though haha. Welcome to the forum.

I remember that game in 2008. I went with my best mate who is an MCC member and a massive Cats fan. It wasn't a good game for him 😄 We still had a good night though haha. Welcome to the forum.

I remember that night too. I was at a formal function and a friend came up to whisper the score in my ear. I did the fist pump thing which raised a few eyebrows around the table. Geelong were flying in those years, and that win was a foretaste of what was to come for us.

How did I become Collingwood barracker? :
Dad played for Wangaratta and Euroa magpies. Played junior footy for Glen Waverley Mudlarks-black and white stripes. Uncle a mad supporter. Was always going to be black and white.
First live game :
Was a final against StKilda way back when. Too old to remember the year😊
Favourite Player:
Back then it was Barry Price
Favourite Collingwood Moment: Hard to go past the two Grand Finals 1990, 2010. Also so glad I was at the 2018 Grand Final despite the result. Never thought I’d get the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back