Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only problem being a school teacher and holidays is you have to take your holidays on school holidays = more expensive flights/accom wherever you want to go.

Yeah, swings and roundabouts. More holidays but you get no say in when you take them vs standard 4 weeks with more flexibility.

For a lot of people 4 weeks is closer to 3 weeks most years with business closing over Christmas.

Yeah, swings and roundabouts. More holidays but you get no say in when you take them vs standard 4 weeks with more flexibility.

For a lot of people 4 weeks is closer to 3 weeks most years with business closing over Christmas.

Im not a teacher but know a few, always complain about prices over accom/flights.

My boss closes our office for 4 weeks over Christmas so that is most of my holidays gone anyway. Leaves a few days to use during the year if wanted but not much

Im not a teacher but know a few, always complain about prices over accom/flights.

My boss closes our office for 4 weeks over Christmas so that is most of my holidays gone anyway. Leaves a few days to use during the year if wanted but not much
Surely that's illegal to force you to take your entire annual leave when they want to? I know a lot paces close up for two weeks but for a month?

Ive already submitted for the Friday following Anzac day as leave. Why you cant organise it well in advance for an extended period of time is beyond me.

Ive in the past booked leave without formal approval because ive had lazy or busy managers but ive always told them, anything over 2 weeks should be 6 months in advance.

The best thing about being a teacher (says me who isn't one) is the Summer holidays. Most of Dec/Jan off every year. I would probably spend a couple of weeks camping and a couple of weeks in the Northern Hemisphere snow each year.

Regular school holidays are good too, but I'd probably keep my standard 4 weeks over 3 x ~2 week inflexible blocks.
Most of dec you say? Dont students finish mid dec and then teachers a little later? So its at best half dec and most jan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of dec you say? Dont students finish mid dec and then teachers a little later? So its at best half dec and most jan?

Depends what type of school. Private finish earlier. I finish Dec 14th.

Government staff go up to about the 20th/21st

Ah true.
One thing ive been wondering. Would it be better if schools started in early/mid jan and finished in early dec so that most of school holidays are before christmas?

No.

If anything, I'd rather Feb off, cause its shit hot and everyone hates it.

But it wouldnt work in a practical sense.

Not sure why people don't ask first.

probably scared it will be rejected

Wonder why she didn't ask for leave in May if she booked flights then? I would have.

The more notice you give, the more likely it'll be accepted because there's plenty of time to plan around it (unless the boss is a flog). It's called upward management.

yes on all accounts.

so she's organised enough to book 6 months in advance, but not organised enough to arrange leave 6 months in advance.....

bizarre!

In my old corporate job we had a big wall planner and you were expected to book your leave for the next year. First in best dressed. I never bothered and so after 12 years I took six months off accrued annual and long service leave, and came back still with six weeks owing.*

Then they got all up themselves and said the amount of leave owing was affecting their bottom line, and anyone that had more than 20 days outstanding could expect their manager to fill in a date for them. Told them to get ****ed.

* rookie mistake, it showed they could survive without me

I knew a dude who worked away in his first few years as a graduate on remote sites in Africa. I imagine at the time (early 2000s) he would've been paid maybe $40k a year but with remote loadings and tax free status that existed at the time would've been banking 2-3 times what he normally would. Due to working flat out for a year or two he took no holidays, then came back and worked for a few years in the office when the mining boom took off. I reckon he would've taken no annual leave outside Christmas office closures for 5-10 years, at which point someone finally twigged how much leave he had accrued and he had to start taking some - all of which was paid out at his salary after many years of experience which would have been pushing $200k. It's something companies need to keep track of.

[QUOTE="Over The Post, post: 58805113, member: 52548"

Then they got all up themselves and said the amount of leave owing was affecting their bottom line, and anyone that had more than 20 days outstanding could expect their manager to fill in a date for them. Told them to get ******.

[/QUOTE]

we have a annual leave drive going on at work now, have to organise 10 staff in my store to have leave between now and the EOFY, being retail, no leave to be taken during December, one employee has 10 weeks he has to take, i have 7 weeks i need to take, its a pita to sort out

"OK, I'll take four weeks starting tomorrow."
"No."
"Well when can I take it off?"
"You need to book it. Say June or July."
"I'm not taking time off in the middle of winter."
"You can't have it before then."
"Fine, I'll have three weeks off to watch le Tour."
"You're going to France?"
"No you campaigner I'm going to sit up to 2am every morning watching it and sleeping in while you're stuck in peak hour traffic in the pissing rain."

The other thing that ****ed me right off, was we had a roster for being on-call. After years of campaigners looking at the on-call and taking a week's leave to coincide with their turn, the rule came in that if you missed your turn, you took it when you got back. Got back from two months off "We changed the roster, you've missed three turns" - straight onto 24 hour call for three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back