Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, Plugger's drunken Friday night music video postings 🤣

Roger Taylor was always a bit disconcerting in that queen video clip I reckon. Apparently was his idea

I thought it would have been Freddie's idea, that video should have been a giveaway that he was gay but as as kid I had no idea.

I gave my mate sh*t because Boy George was gay and he had a Culture Club poster on his wall while I had a Wham poster on mine.

Quite funny looking back on it.

Gang of Youths have written multiple rock songs better than Seven Nation Army on each of their three albums.

Yet you can't name of any of them for us to compare them, I highly doubt they are better since they weren't big hits like Seven Nation Army.

Literally too many to list. You should venture out from mainstream radio and streaming algorithms.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Too many to list but you can't list one.

Yet you can't name of any of them for us to compare them, I highly doubt they are better since they weren't big hits like Seven Nation Army.
Start with Magnolia, The Deepest Sighs The Frankest Shadows and Let Me Down Easy. There’s more.

Gang of Youths had three songs in the top 10 of the Hottest 100 in 2017. That’s a sign of success. But relying on ‘hits’ when the music industry has fundamentally changed just reinforces the idea that you are an old man yelling at clouds (from another old man, not yelling at clouds).

Start with Magnolia, The Deepest Sighs The Frankest Shadows and Let Me Down Easy. There’s more.

Gang of Youths had three songs in the top 10 of the Hottest 100 in 2017. That’s a sign of success. But relying on ‘hits’ when the music industry has fundamentally changed just reinforces the idea that you are an old man yelling at clouds (from another old man, not yelling at clouds).

None of those songs are better and making the Hottest 100 these days means nothing as most of the songs are trash compared to 20 or 30 years ago.

The state of music today.

75k are expected to flock to Optus stadium tomorrow night to see Ed Sheeran who is just a London busker with a couple of original tunes.

He's a poor man's David Gray.

You still haven't named a better rock song since Seven Nation Army.

Why would I bother you'll just do this
None of those songs are better and making the Hottest 100 these days means nothing as most of the songs are trash compared to 20 or 30 years ago.

Defining better in music is impossible, you're against using a popular contest as gauging whether something is "better" (which I agree with) but what's going to make another song "better" that Seven Nation Army in you mind?

Personally the two above I consider better rock songs.

Music peaked in everyone teens and twenties, regardless of how old they are.

I disagree when looking at my own tastes. I'm 30. In my opinion mainstream music peaked before I hit my teens.

Happens to me all the time, I tune in to an FM radio station just to catch the end of a great rock track and then they play some Gen Z nonsense track.

I got lucky today though, I tuned in just when this song started, one of the last great rock tracks.

Hard to believe that song is 20 years old.

Things that make me feel old thread.

Saw them at BDO in 2006. ******* epic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn’t heard a better rock song than Seven Nation Army on MMM, which hasn’t played any music made after Seven Nation Army.

It’s still a good song, though.
Depends on his definition of rock, both bands formed after Seven Nation Army and bands from long before it have put out rock music better than that that has been likely to be played on triple M.

It's a real bizarre take.

I ..

Too many to list but you can't list one.

******* one of the albums from the following would have something better, AC/DC, Airbourne, Nickelback, Holy Holy, Def Leppard, Jet, Europe, Gang of Youths, Foo Fighter, ******* Wolfmother, Shinedown, Paramore, Shihad, Young Guns, Guns N Roses, Wig Wam...

I mean Seven Nation Army is good, but the best in the last 20 years? Nothing close to it? Not for me.

That's without getting in to borderline rock/pink/metal like Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Megadeth, Green Day...

Last edited:
******* one of the albums from the following would have something better, AC/DC, Airbourne, Nickelback, Holy Holy, Def Leppard, Jet, Europe, Gang of Youths, Foo Fighter, ******* Wolfmother, Shinedown, Paramore, Shihad, Young Guns, Wig Wam...

I mean Seven Nation Army is good, but the best in the last 20 years? Nothing close to it? Not for me.

That's without getting in to borderline rock/pink/metal like Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Megadeth, Green Day...

You are stretching it there with Nickelback and Wolfmother and I haven't liked a Foo Fighters album since their debut album in the mid 90s.

As for ACDC they haven't had a really big hit since Thunderstruck back in 1990 but I haven't listened to their more recent albums to know if they have produced better rock songs than Seven Nations Army, you would know better than me. Nothing from any of those other bands stands out to me either.

Meh music

Talkback radio has always been the same. Top level cringe and hilarity

I listen more to talkback radio as most music stations are rubbish, Triple J has gone downhill and the commercial music stations are way too repetitive.

Better rock songs since Seven Nation Army from the bands you don't like, briefly, to me of course

Nickelback
Burn it to the Ground

Foo Fighters
The Pretender
No Way Back

Wolfmother
Joker and the Thief
Minds Eye

To be brief.

******* one of the albums from the following would have something better, AC/DC, Airbourne, Nickelback, Holy Holy, Def Leppard, Jet, Europe, Gang of Youths, Foo Fighter, ******* Wolfmother, Shinedown, Paramore, Shihad, Young Guns, Wig Wam...

You get a like for the Holy Holy reference.

I do not understand why seven nation army is the hill you want to die on

It's a great rock song that not many rock songs since have been able to match and I heard it recently on the radio so it was front of mind.

It's not my favourite song though, probably not even in my Top 10 so I won't die on a hill defending it.

Happens to me all the time, I tune in to an FM radio station just to catch the end of a great rock track and then they play some Gen Z nonsense track.

I got lucky today though, I tuned in just when this song started, one of the last great rock tracks.

Hard to believe that song is 20 years old.

Things that make me feel old thread.

My gym plays that all the time. And it never gets old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back