Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done that myself and ended up with a frozen solid bottle of soft drink which takes ages to thaw out and it's not the same when it does.
They usually explode don't they.

As a kid I use to put half bottles in the freezer for 1-3 hours and then shake them and you would end up with a slurpee. One day it must of froze around the lid and when I undid it the gas came out after I had the cap off and exploded in my face. Soft drink all over me and the kitchen.

They usually explode don't they.

As a kid I use to put half bottles in the freezer for 1-3 hours and then shake them and you would end up with a slurpee. One day it must of froze around the lid and when I undid it the gas came out after I had the cap off and exploded in my face. Soft drink all over me and the kitchen.

I have seen glass bottles of beer explode when they are left in the freezer for too long but not plastic soft drink bottles.

Plastic soft drink bottles can explode out of the top if you take the lid off after they have been frozen though, the gas builds up in them.

Then you are left with half the bottle of soft drink all over yourself and a half bottle of flat soft drink.

I have seen glass bottles of beer explode when they are left in the freezer for too long but not plastic soft drink bottles.

It's wild when glass bottles of home brew beer start to explode. It means they're too gassy, so obviously the issue is going to be across the whole batch - which means when one pops it sets off an amazing chain reaction.

My mum lives in Carrara (QLD, not Italy) and has been without power for 40 hours. She's been advised it's possible that she wont have power back until sunday, making it a week without power, in what I would consider a pretty major city.

I could understand if she was in a country town or a remote area, but she is 2 torpedoes from Carrara stadium.

Does anyone else question how bad the infrastructure has become? And that no-one can afford to fix anything?

Last edited:
My mum lives in Carrara (QLD, not Italy) and has been without power for 40 hours. She's been advised it's possible that she wont have power back until sunday, making it a week without power, in what I would consider a pretty major city.

I could understand if she was in a country town or a remote area, but she is 2 torpedoes from Carrara stadium.

Does anyone else question how bad the infrastructure has become? And that no-one can afford to fix anything?
I don’t know how they estimate the length of an outage. There would be a lot of factors - locating the break; finding out how many customers are affected by each one; clearing fallen trees; rounding up enough staff, many of whom would be on holiday at this time of year, even absent from the state. And bad timing of the worst series of storms in years to start right on Christmas Eve.

I think, like everything else, overall lack of staff is a big worry.
In my area the power is underground so luckily have escaped with no outage, except NBN broadband which has been out since Sunday.

The Gold Coast is actually still counted as a regional centre. Brisbane, the Scenic Rim, and very wide areas were also affected by the storms so staff and equipment are probably stretched pretty thin.

Edited to add: I just heard that many electricity workers had gone north to the Cairns area, which is going through widespread flooding.

Last edited:
Some quotes from a FB page I follow

“It’s easy to complain but Energex workers have been doing 16 hours straight to get it sorted. My husband had just started holidays and his first Christmas off standby and still missed Christmas and Boxing Day because he went in to help others get power on. You probably still spent it with family power or no power.”

“… My son.in.law works for Energex and we did not see him at all over Christmas. He is exhausted. Admittedly he gets overtime but really being out in dangerous storms is no substitute for missing all the family fun get together. 😭

“… My brother was the same. Went on leave only to get called up to north QLD to help then sent back down here to help.”

“…but now over 36 hours later and still no power kinda sucks !!!
Bright side tho … solar hot water we can still have a hot shower !”

“There have been 800 power poles downed.”

Here’s an interesting one…

“… I suggest you follow Robert Deutsch he predicted this 'weather event' weeks ago.. (along with many other weather events, weeks out) believe it not it's a fact!!! (I've seen it with my own eyes, he is always on the money) Also if your government didn't waste so much money and really cared about the people (which they don't), everyone would have under ground power, that's another fact!!! As you were...🥱🙈🙉🙊🤦🤦

“And this kind of weather events will always happen ,regardless if Australia is emissions free or not !” 😉

All the above just FYI 😀

Ricky Gervais. His reasoning seems to be that I have the right to say anything I want and if you are offended you're the one with the issue. So, his whole schtick seems to be based on gaslighting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ricky is great. It's comedy. I agree with him tbh.
20231227_202559.jpg
He's an egdelord shithead who just says racist offensive s**t and calls it jokes

And he's found an audience that also likes to say racist offensive s**t and then say just joking

What Pilko up to these days .

bullshit karl GIF

I don’t know how they estimate the length of an outage. There would be a lot of factors - locating the break; finding out how many customers are affected by each one; clearing fallen trees; rounding up enough staff, many of whom would be on holiday at this time of year, even absent from the state. And bad timing of the worst series of storms in years to start right on Christmas Eve.

I think, like everything else, overall lack of staff is a big worry.
In my area the power is underground so luckily have escaped with no outage, except NBN broadband which has been out since Sunday.

The Gold Coast is actually still counted as a regional centre. Brisbane, the Scenic Rim, and very wide areas were also affected by the storms so staff and equipment are probably stretched pretty thin.

Edited to add: I just heard that many electricity workers had gone north to the Cairns area, which is going through widespread flooding.

Damage to the network in areas accessible by foot only is doing the bulk of issues. 68,000 NMI's (HOMES and BUSINESSES) still out down from 135,000. Access paths are cut by fallen trees and landslides in the GC hinterland area.

There is also High Voltage lines damaged, which is a different beast to the LV lines you seen in streets.

Ricky is great. It's comedy. I agree with him tbh.
Says the guy who was so offended that he stormed off and almost took his bag and went home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back