News Tigers to use compo pick in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 16, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
THIRTEEN AND CLOSING

Can someone remind me why we have this compo pick?

And why does where Port finish affect it?

I remember something about a trade, but cannot remember details at all

"Richmond received its round two selection from Port Adelaide, via the Gold Coast Suns in a trade, after compensation for the loss of Nathan Krakouer."

So yeah, can someone just clear all this up for me coz im still a bit confused

We traded our compo pick to Gold Coast for this compo pick and pick 26, which was used on Todd Elton. IIRC. Gold Coast had previously acquired it back from Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's likely to be in the early 20's? (Sorry, the answer seems pretty simple but this draft stuff confuses me more than it probably should....)

From what I understand, we get to pick it right after Port's second round. So wherever Port end up will decide how high/low the pick is.

Here's a quote I found on the Port board...

7 compo picks have been activated for the 2012 National Draft.

If traded picks are placed using the finishing position of the original club the compo pick was awarded to, we'll see something like the following:

Richmond --> After Port Adelaide's Round 2 Selection (Krakouer)
Western Sydney --> After Adelaide's Round 1 Selection (Davis)

The rest should be as follows:
Western Bulldogs --> After Round 1 Selection (Ward)
Western Bulldogs --> After Round 3 Selection (Reid)
Brisbane --> End of Round 1 (Rischitelli)
Melbourne --> Middle of Round 1 (Scully)
Melbourne --> After Round 1 Selection (Scully)

Going by that there'll be at least 18 first round picks (1 for every club), then going by the quote above there's 5 first round compo picks activated. So that will push the first round up to pick 23. Also with free agency coming in this year, I'm not sure whether clubs are able to use their compo picks they receive from players leaving in the same year.

So basically If Port finish last the lowest it could be is 25 (as their second round pick would be 24).

Also I could be wrong but I think they also got rid of the Priority Picks this year. Not 100% though. That too would affect what number the pick would be, pushing it higher towards the 30's if there's PP's involved.

From what I understand, we get to pick it right after Port's second round. So wherever Port end up will decide how high/low the pick is.

Going by that there'll be at least 18 first round picks (1 for every club), then going by the quote above there's 5 first round compo picks activated. So that will push the first round up to pick 23. Also with free agency coming in this year, I'm not sure whether clubs are able to use their compo picks they receive from players leaving in the same year.

So basically If Port finish last the lowest it could be is 25 (as their second round pick would be 24).

Also I could be wrong but I think they also got rid of the Priority Picks this year. Not 100% though. That too would affect what number the pick would be, pushing it higher towards the 30's if there's PP's involved.

Thanks Rust, that being the case it's fortunate it's gonna be a deep draft....

Priority picks are gone.

Makes sense considering this year's reported bumper crop. Hopefully it's chock full of quality big KPD's who only need a season or so in the VFL before they're ready to go :D:D

So basically from what the above suggests, a new position will need to be filled in footy clubs, with the advert stating, must have a doctorate in maths to go with their masters in computer science, which backs up their arsiness to get it right..;)

So basically from what the above suggests, a new position will need to be filled in footy clubs, with the advert stating, must have a doctorate in maths to go with their masters in computer science, which backs up their arsiness to get it right..;)

Truth is, no one actually understands the draft order system. The AFL just assign random numbers to clubs and they make up their own hypothesis as to how they've acquired them and thus draft accordingly... :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back