Time for the AFL to introduce the red card

Remove this Banner Ad

OP what happens with the interchange?

& 90 seconds is not enough to make a decision like that.

Nothing. A player comes off and you now have one less person to choose fron

Yes it is. How many camera shots would a bloke need

And why is it bad to leave the people who broke the rules of the game in a worse state during that game? Why should we have to even up there rule breaking for? Its better for the guy who took a player out to be at a disadvantage then giving the disadvantage to the guy being carted off on a stretcher

So glad Coledinho doesn't run our game. Reactionary, mindless bullshit.

Wellingham will get his right whack at the tribunal and so he should. This is the way the game has been played forever and to suggest we should mess with it to suit some clowns vague perception of fairness is insulting and annoying.

If your crappy rule existed in the 80's, Leigh Matthews would today be considered a talented player we never were able to see the best of because he was always being sent off. And the game wouldn't be what it is today.

It's a mans game, not all of them are gentlemen...but the game has it's own evolution and it's own way of sorting things out. s**t thread.

Maybe for things that are malicious and obviously intentional. I don't think Wellingham deliberately took out Simpson tonight.

But let's say Alistair Lynch had landed one of Wakelin's chin in the GF in the opening minutes and knocked him out cold. Brisbane plays with an extra man all day and goes on to win? Yeah, that'd be unfair to me. I think it should be considered, but not for something as grey as Wellingham's hit tonight. If Wellingham had extended his arm and spoiled the ball, a suspension wouldn't even be being discussed. He chose to brace himself and go the man though, so he'll get his whack from the MRP.

So glad Coledinho doesn't run our game. Reactionary, mindless bullshit.

Wellingham will get his right whack at the tribunal and so he should. This is the way the game has been played forever and to suggest we should mess with it to suit some clowns vague perception of fairness is insulting and annoying.

If your crappy rule existed in the 80's, Leigh Matthews would today be considered a talented player we never were able to see the best of because he was always being sent off. And the game wouldn't be what it is today.

It's a mans game, not all of them are gentlemen...but the game has it's own evolution and it's own way of sorting things out. s**t thread.

The sliding rule is what? The video umpire review is what? The deliberate rushed behind rule is what? Thats right reactionary

The people who run our game make every decision on a reactionary basis. Why should this one be different?

Maybe for things that are malicious and obviously intentional. I don't think Wellingham deliberately took out Simpson tonight.

But let's say Alistair Lynch had landed one of Wakelin's chin in the GF in the opening minutes and knocked him out cold. Brisbane plays with an extra man all day and goes on to win? Yeah, that'd be unfair to me. I think it should be considered, but not for something as grey as Wellingham's hit tonight. If Wellingham had extended his arm and spoiled the ball, a suspension wouldn't even be being discussed. He chose to brace himself and go the man though, so he'll get his whack from the MRP.

What do Carlton get from this though? How does the victim get his justice?

I dont think Kade Simpson gives a flying s**t if Wellingham misses 6 weeks. He would have much preferred the punishment of Wellingham watching from the bench like he was. Guarantee you that

What do Carlton get from this though? How does the victim get his justice?

I dont think Kade Simpson gives a flying s**t if Wellingham misses 6 weeks. He would have much preferred the punishment of Wellingham watching from the bench like he was. Guarantee you that

Carlton are welcome to do the exact same thing back to Sharrod Wellingham if they feel they've been treated unjustly.

The point is, there is too much grey area to be red carding people for hits like Wellingham's. What about when the Doggies player cleaned up Jordan Lewis? It was a fair hit, but I'm sure the MRP panel looked at it, just like they'd have to make a call on that hit during the game if red cards existed. And what about something like Maxwell's hit on McGinnity? Maxwell got reported, would've got red carded under your rules but actually got cleared by the MRP. Same thing when Farren Ray cannoned into Selwood, pretty sure he got cited and cleared for that. Do you expect them to have a panel of adjudicators on hand to make the calls the MRP panel over the space for days and multiple viewers?

I love the people who are so biased against anything to do with soccer. Pathetic.

There are plenty of situations where someone smashes a bloke leaving him injured or off to hospital and the offender should be sent off. The offender's team gets an advantage.

I love the people who are so biased against anything to do with soccer. Pathetic.

There are plenty of situations where someone smashes a bloke leaving him injured or off to hospital and the offender should be sent off. The offender's team gets an advantage.

Considering this is a forum with the majority being AFL followers, I would have thought it would only be natural for natural bias to come through.

i considered the points during the game (simpson having to sit out), but it could be open to abuse if not properly enforced. i'm sure if our last player picked got cleaned up by swan they'd say he's not coming back. like staging but with concussion.

edit: there's also the possibility of the umpires we normally hate for making wrong decisions, having to sort this out too...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering this is a forum with the majority being AFL followers, I would have thought it would only be natural for natural bias to come through.
Obviously but I think people have to accept that other sports do some things that the AFL could possibly do. Regardless of your opinion on that sport.

Yes, but it is irrational. Bias is never good, unless you are a WA umpire at Subiaco, in which case it's welcomed. But aside from that, bias is bad.

Hockey, NBA, NFL, Rugby Union, Rugby League all send players off for illegal conduct.

Id argue that AFL is the only contact sport to not do so. We are hardly following soccer. We are just using there terminology.

it is pretty silly that barry hall can KO staker then play out the rest of the game.

drawing a long bow, but it does open the possibility of an enforcer coming on in games and rubbing out 3 or 4 opposition players for the match, and playing it out themselves.

would never happen, but i cant imagine there are too many sports where that is a possibility.

You're asking an umpire to decide on the spot if it is intentional?

It often takes the tribunal process (whichever one you use, be it the current or former one) ages to decide matters like that.

The incident tonight looked awful, but I am sure whether it was intentional or not will be up for considerable debate.

It's asking an awful lot of umpires to make that immediate judgment.
How much time do you need to sit down and decide that wellingham should cop weeks ? just one replay showed wellingham take his eyes off the ball and line up Simpson .....we don't need a committee to see the blatantly obvious .

Yes, but it is irrational. Bias is never good, unless you are a WA umpire at Subiaco, in which case it's welcomed. But aside from that, bias is bad.

Screw soccer, bunch of over paid wimps who fall even to the slightest of touches (anyone got that video of the soccer player hitting himself and falling to the ground and getting a free kick?)

And I'm pretty sure WCE get umpiring bias no matter the state they play in.

Country leagues use cards though don't they? I don't know if they have reds though. I had a team mate that got a yellow during a highschool competition game (in one of the good private school leagues, not just some bumpty high school scratch match), so they exist is some form.

i considered the points during the game (simpson having to sit out), but it could be open to abuse if not properly enforced. i'm sure if our last player picked got cleaned up by swan they'd say he's not coming back. like staging but with concussion.

edit: there's also the possibility of the umpires we normally hate for making wrong decisions, having to sort this out too...

depends on how swan cleans someone up. you wouldnt get a red card just for running through someone. you would get a red card for obviously stepping outside the rules of the game, and doing something incredibly stupid.

of course the umpires would get involved. who decides a red card in soccer? the ref. does he always get it right? no. of course there would be bad calls, and right calls.but in soccer, if the best player on the opposition is foolish, there off. injury or not. if there was a sending off in the AFL, i do not think it would require injury/concussion, necessarily. its used in the lower grades, isnt it?

im not really in favour of it, but as i said above, it is bizarre hall can get 8 weeks suspension, and yet play out the game he is involved in.

Dunno if it has been said as yet but Angus Graham was red carded in the VFL this season only to have his report thrown out by the tribunal, no need to have the red card.

Too hard to adjudicate. Barry Hall on Staker, red card. Wellingham tonight, red card. Taylor Walker last week? Got the free, so field umpires thought it was fine, assume no card. Then the bloke gets suspended. Too hard to adjudicate.
Obviously the umpires won't always make the right decision but it happens in the sports that send players off. There's always cases of NBA players getting fouls downgraded from flagrant or fouls upgraded to flagrant after the game. Getting a decision wrong every once in a while shouldn't be a reason for not looking at a form of sending players off.
Screw soccer, bunch of over paid wimps who fall even to the slightest of touches (anyone got that video of the soccer player hitting himself and falling to the ground and getting a free kick?)

And I'm pretty sure WCE get umpiring bias no matter the state they play in.
Yeah so just because soccer players fall down their officiating system shouldn't even be suggested as a good thing to do in the AFL. Great logic. People like you let your AFL bias and soccer hatred cloud your judgement.

Carlton are welcome to do the exact same thing back to Sharrod Wellingham if they feel they've been treated unjustly.

The point is, there is too much grey area to be red carding people for hits like Wellingham's. What about when the Doggies player cleaned up Jordan Lewis? It was a fair hit, but I'm sure the MRP panel looked at it, just like they'd have to make a call on that hit during the game if red cards existed. And what about something like Maxwell's hit on McGinnity? Maxwell got reported, would've got red carded under your rules but actually got cleared by the MRP. Same thing when Farren Ray cannoned into Selwood, pretty sure he got cited and cleared for that. Do you expect them to have a panel of adjudicators on hand to make the calls the MRP panel over the space for days and multiple viewers?

but a line would be drawn between awful collisions that are part of the game (ray on selwood), and things which just arent (hall on staker). of course it is a judgment call, but i doubt any hard contact necessitates a red card, or a sending off. nor injury.

you would be sent out for obviously flaunting the rule, much like in soccer. you dont get sent off for knocking someone out when attempting a header in the box, which accidentally hits another player (or, if you do, the ref got it wrong). you would be sent off for a studs up tackle straight into a players knee, however, regardless of whether you injure them or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back