Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but what else do you do with a bloke commanding almost a million a season and not at AFL level at the moment?

Either play him and hope he regains form or he plays 2s on big money.

They wont get him agree to be traded unless he still gets his full salary which means north probably have to pay half of it and accept a 2nd/3rd rounder for another club to be interested.

Geez I wish my club could afford to carry 'depth' at $900k a season.

prestia ? cost post 6 to.
goldy has played 17 games while the other two young rucks have played 17 games between them cose of injury.
when you have 3 million to throw around like the roos have they can afford to carry goldie

Geez, we're meant to be rebuilding why would we want the eagles junk??
And with NicNat coming back why would you want ours?
Doesn't fit the way the club is going atm in terms of talent. There's a reason why we are looking at Kelly, Ahern and even Dusty, who has a number of years left.

Gaff is junk? AA and consistent 30 possession player and is 25 yrs old.

Why would the Eagles want Goldie with Naitanui returning from a knee reco?

Well that question answers itself I would have thought. Who returns 100% from a reco and takes on the no. 1 ruck?

Eagles offer Goldie 3 years at $650-$700k replacing 2 years at $800. He retires the same year as Kennedy and Hurn.

Simpson, Rawlings and even Petrie for next year help with the move interstate. Maybe he can patch up the marriage and a clean move interstate would help.

Well that question answers itself I would have thought. Who returns 100% from a reco and takes on the no. 1 ruck?

Eagles offer Goldie 3 years at $650-$700k replacing 2 years at $800. He retires the same year as Kennedy and Hurn.

Simpson, Rawlings and even Petrie for next year help with the move interstate. Maybe he can patch up the marriage and a clean move interstate would help.
Why was I quoted, I never said he was junk. I would love him at North, but it would cost us a bit. We are chasing players with a certain age profile was my original point, I.e Kelly/Ahern or players that won't cost North draft picks in Martin. In and out style mids are preferable to a predominantly outside player, but any decent consistent mid would do for North at this stage.

I feel the other areas are fine or will be fine, but the north midfield is an absolute mess ATM.

Maybe the bulldogs would like Goldy, protects English for 2 years and frees up Roughy to play his natural utility role, but that's another discussion.

So even if Naitanui struggles to get back to his best next year, in 2019 and 2020 you want to pay $650-700k for a ruckman sitting in the WAFL.

Thats very poor list management to have a big salary like that rotting in the seconds.

This also isnt taking into consideration Lycett and Vardy who we're also paying salaries to.

Paying a large salary to Goldy as back up at his age is just bad.

prestia ? cost post 6 to.
goldy has played 17 games while the other two young rucks have played 17 games between them cose of injury.
when you have 3 million to throw around like the roos have they can afford to carry goldie
He's not currently best 22 and he's costing the Kangaroos $900k next year. It's pretty simple to understand.

not best 22 yet playing this week deary me lol better tell north to pull him out of the team by sunday ay
Just because he's in the side doesn't mean he's best 22. Soldo was in our side last week too (similar stats to Goldy too).

Anyway I'll leave you to it, you seem to be a big fan of the bloke.

Lol at not best 22. His form prior to round 17 was actually really good. He then got dropped for a couple weeks for putting in a s**t game and is now back in the side. All this paying 900k for a reserves player is just dumb

The problem for North is that they have another very good young ruck coming through and want to give him games so dont really need Goldstein especially with him not in AA form these days. Unless they get a decent offer he wont be just given away though. If Preuss went down injured next year they would be up s**t creek with Daw going alone

Lol at not best 22. His form prior to round 17 was actually really good. He then got dropped for a couple weeks for putting in a s**t game and is now back in the side. All this paying 900k for a reserves player is just dumb

The problem for North is that they have another very good young ruck coming through and want to give him games so dont really need Goldstein especially with him not in AA form these days. Unless they get a decent offer he wont be just given away though. If Preuss went down injured next year they would be up s**t creek with Daw going alone

Finally someone talking some sense!!!
Good post!

His output is clearly not a patch on 2015 and the first 9 rounds of 2016 (has played a few ordinary games in our last 35 games), but very few players in their 20's albeit late 20's just forget how to play footy. There is an underlying reason as to why his form is off and it's CONFIDENCE. It's shot!!! For whatever reason it's SHOT! The bloke has more than shown he CAN play, if he can short his mind and fitness out, the form will sort itself out, and if it does he remains a significantly better ruckman than Preuss as well as 90% of all AFL listed rucks.

This is NOT a fire sale! He is a required player at NMFC and he won't simply be given away because we have Preuss on the list. You don't build a competitive midfield around a 'bolter' ruckman who has played 7 games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So even if Naitanui struggles to get back to his best next year, in 2019 and 2020 you want to pay $650-700k for a ruckman sitting in the WAFL.

Thats very poor list management to have a big salary like that rotting in the seconds.

This also isnt taking into consideration Lycett and Vardy who we're also paying salaries to.

Paying a large salary to Goldy as back up at his age is just bad.

I dont have confidence in relying on 2 injury prone rucks. I would trade Lycett now and bring in Goldie plus draft a young project ruck and develop for 3 years.

Vardy is more a forward than ruck. Covers Kennedy, Darlind and our 3rd tall forward plus ruck cover as the 2nd ruck. Look at our history, one of Kennedy, Darling or one of the two rucks are out injured so Vardy would still get 15 games a season just covering injury.

in those scenarios both Goldie and Vardy are required for 15 games and thats not considering their fitness or form.

It takes a squad of 30 to contend and the Eagles rucks were non existant this year. Poor rucks with a average midfield was a disaster.

not best 22 yet playing this week deary me lol better tell north to pull him out of the team by sunday ay
Well yeah he shouldn't play tommorrow and Preuss can ruck alone hey, Preuss can't ruck for the whole game so that could be a problem.

Well said mate could not have put it better myself.

Contracts r performance based, force his salary back down to 550k, if refuse, drop, then trade for 2nd rounder to bulldog as they need one to ruck full time so Boyd could play permanent forward. Alternatively direct swap for Crameri as both r 29 and on the outer.

Finally someone talking some sense!!!
Good post!

His output is clearly not a patch on 2015 and the first 9 rounds of 2016 (has played a few ordinary games in our last 35 games), but very few players in their 20's albeit late 20's just forget how to play footy. There is an underlying reason as to why his form is off and it's CONFIDENCE. It's shot!!! For whatever reason it's SHOT! The bloke has more than shown he CAN play, if he can short his mind and fitness out, the form will sort itself out, and if it does he remains a significantly better ruckman than Preuss as well as 90% of all AFL listed rucks.

This is NOT a fire sale! He is a required player at NMFC and he won't simply be given away because we have Preuss on the list. You don't build a competitive midfield around a 'bolter' ruckman who has played 7 games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good to hear Goldy's still the main man .
So he should be on that kind of money .
Pruess on the other hand might not be thrilled with the news and could be tempted by greater opportunity and salary elsewhere ...

So far I have seen figures fluctuate between 600-900k a year, does anyone actually have an idea what he is paid. I am under the impression it is closer to the 600k mark than the 900k mark.

So far I have seen figures fluctuate between 600-900k a year, does anyone actually have an idea what he is paid. I am under the impression it is closer to the 600k mark than the 900k mark.

Without seeing his actual contract it's hardly definitive.
But plenty of north posters have been saying he's on $800k per year. Was the 20% pay rise built in to his contract as well? Who knows, but it's been mentioned that quite a few players had this in their contracts.
I think your figure of $600k pa is way way under. He was the standout premium ruckman in the comp with plenty of clubs chasing him. He was a priority re-signing for north at the time. Probably easy North's highest paid player.

Without seeing his actual contract it's hardly definitive.
But plenty of north posters have been saying he's on $800k per year. Was the 20% pay rise built in to his contract as well? Who knows, but it's been mentioned that quite a few players had this in their contracts.
I think your figure of $600k pa is way way under. He was the standout premium ruckman in the comp with plenty of clubs chasing him. He was a priority re-signing for north at the time. Probably easy North's highest paid player.
Tarrant, Ziebell, Swallow are in the 400's, most are in the 300's.

He was on 600k the contract before. 800k sounds right checking with north posters since.

Tarrant, Ziebell, Swallow are in the 400's, most are in the 300's.

He was on 600k the contract before. 800k sounds right checking with north posters since.

So Ziebell signed on until the end of 2021 and Tarrant until 2019 for yearly contract in the $400k's. Swallow, yeah maybe.
But Ziebell and Tarrant. Really? Who are they managed by?
Pard don me for being a cynic but I find that simply beyond belief.
If Brown is lumped in with the rest of the $300's I think you might have a battle on your hands to retain a few of them. That means they're on less or about the whole afl player wage average (including rookies)

So Ziebell signed on until the end of 2021 and Tarrant until 2019 for yearly contract in the $400k's. Swallow, yeah maybe.
If Brown is lumped in with the rest of the $300's I think you might have a battle on your hands to retain a few of them. That means they're on less or about the whole afl player wage average (including rookies)
We used a heap of long-term contracts. Ziebell is on about 425k and Tarrant a bit more. Swallow's was signed back when he was a decent enough footballer and still skipper. Waite was on 400, but that changed to a lot less. The figures I quoted were before the pay increase of this year. Btw, aren't rookies on the 220k-ish mark? I suppose that will change with salary cap increases.

Brown's contract was renewed when he was in his first/second year, so high 300's is the word, but I could be way off with his mark.

The thing is though, no one knows whether they have back or front ended the contracts. Even the above numbers is a patch work estimate by inner sanctum posters from over the years.

There are nine north players out of contract, plus Brown for next year.

I am sure list managers have a better idea than you or I about the true figures. If Brown hadn't signed by the start of next season, then I will get nervous.

However, the same confidence you guys have in Dusty not leaving is similar to the type of confidence we have in brown not leaving. Fwiw, I still believe Dusty will stay.

The Tarrant and ziebell won't go as they be around or over 30 by then. Brown requires work but we have a structure, he wants to pursue money only, then we trade for first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back