Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Every player goes through a form slump - good to see him work through it and now start to play some god footy.
Do you honestly think a club would trade in anything less than a 3rd rounder for Goldstein and that contract? If he was a free agent then sure but you wouldn't want to give up decent picks

Do you honestly think a club would trade in anything less than a 3rd rounder for Goldstein and that contract? If he was a free agent then sure but you wouldn't want to give up decent picks
If he does go we will be paying some of his wage - he would still get more than a 3rd rounder - look at the history of trading rucks. A team like the dogs desparately needed a ruckmen - the 3rd man up rule really hurt them.

If he does go we will be paying some of his wage - he would still get more than a 3rd rounder - look at the history of trading rucks. A team like the dogs desparately needed a ruckmen - the 3rd man up rule really hurt them.
I see Goldstein as done by this time next year so if another club is willing to pay that they will feel the pain

What could Freo offer them?

GWS are asking for a late first/early 2nd for Wilson.

With Weller asking for a trade to the Suns, a potential pick for Wilson would likely come from that deal.

In any case, hard to see GWS forking out a pick notionally between about 15 and 25 for Goldstein, outside North's 23 coming back with Goldstein for a slightly earlier pick.

With Mumford cooked would GWS offer up what they get for Wilson from Freo for Goldstein?

I think they just plan on playing Lobb in the ruck. They looked a lot better doing so.

In any case, hard to see GWS forking out a pick notionally between about 15 and 25 for Goldstein, outside North's 23 coming back with Goldstein for a slightly earlier pick.

Goldstein and 25 for pick 23.

I suppose if we cough up the $1.7 million left on his contract then that would be a good deal.

Depends if there is a three way trade now between Freo, GCS and GWS where Weller and Wilson change clubs and GCS give up picks (I assume a few of their early 2nd rds).

We would need a pick inside 25 outright, to even consider a trade. Especially if we are expected to foot some of Todds coin.

GC: Swallow & 23 for pick 21
GWS: Goldstein, picks 21 & 46 for pick 11
North: pick 11, and we pick up half of Goldsteins remaining contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Mumford cooked would GWS offer up what they get for Wilson from Freo for Goldstein?
Mummy going doesn't actually mean we need a ruck. In the finals we played Lobb who has always looked like a ruck follower. We have Dawson available and in great form this year.
We either play Lobb and a scratch ruck like Himmelberg to assist, as looks most likely.
My preference os we play Dawson as ruck follower and Rory as Forward/Ruck, and see how it goes.
Matt Flynn is also coming along in the NEAFL.
If Mummy stays as ruck coach.amd there's an opening with Brogan leaving then we're good I think.

Be a bit worried if Lobb goes down they'd have to run with Dawson Simpson.

Agree.

The Lobb, Patton, Cameron forward mix is driving the Lobb as a stand alone ruckman agenda.

Mummy going doesn't actually mean we need a ruck. In the finals we played Lobb who has always looked like a ruck follower. We have Dawson available and in great form this year.
We either play Lobb and a scratch ruck like Himmelberg to assist, as looks most likely.
My preference os we play Dawson as ruck follower and Rory as Forward/Ruck, and see how it goes.
Matt Flynn is also coming along in the NEAFL.
If Mummy stays as ruck coach.amd there's an opening with Brogan leaving then we're good I think.
When Dawson played he was a revelation. He's very positive and seemed to lift our mids.
From what i have seen of Dawson Simpson i don't rate him as anything better than a emergency ruckman as he gets very little of the ball around the ground.
Like the Dogs match in round 21 he had just 4 handballs and no kicks.

From what i have seen of Dawson Simpson i don't rate him as anything better than a emergency ruckman as he gets very little of the ball around the ground.
Like the Dogs match in round 21 he had just 4 handballs and no kicks.
Your call but it hardly matters. The article linking us to Goldstein had no reference to our club. What we have said is we're happy to go with the rucks on our list.

I like Goldstein but as we've discussed on our board, we can only develop Flynn by giving him ruck time at NEAFL level. If we go with Rory then Dawson and Flynn have to share the NEAFL. If we bring in another ruck we haven't got the capacity to put game time into all if them.

It only makes sense to me to recruit a ruck if we let one go. Given Dawson's form in the NEAFL and at AFL level when he got a chance it aint gunna be him I would think.
Flynns had two years put into his development and he seems to be coming along nicely in physical development.

We would need a pick inside 25 outright, to even consider a trade. Especially if we are expected to foot some of Todds coin.

GC: Swallow & 23 for pick 21
GWS: Goldstein, picks 21 & 46 for pick 11
North: pick 11, and we pick up half of Goldsteins remaining contract.

Hard to see GC or anyone giving up 2 draft spots for Swallow.

Not sure GWS have much use for pick 46 either.

As for a pick under 25 for Goldstein outright, at the end of the day he's a nearly 30 ruckman who was dropped from a Notting 4 team.

Hard to see GC or anyone giving up 2 draft spots for Swallow.

You clearly don't rate Goldstein at all then

Not sure GWS have much use for pick 46 either.

Sweet. We'll keep it.

As for a pick under 25 for Goldstein outright, at the end of the day he's a nearly 30 ruckman who was dropped from a Notting 4 team.

Based on this post it's hard to fathom why you bothered making any contribution.

We'll just keep him. Preuss has extended another two years, so there's no pressure on us to move him on.The cap money is no great issue either. His contract expires in 2019 and Kelly comes out of contract in 2019.

I can see why the club are in no hurry to dump him.

Haha gws don't have enough cap space to cover their EXISTING players.

Any thoughts of them taking on goldys 800k/year till 2020 is fantasy.

Goldy won't accept a pay cut and north won't take ~300k of his wage a year for 2 years

Gws have no cap space for Goldstein.

Correct, and we 'ain't paying $1.7 million dollars for pick 27.

They would have to give us pick 11 PLUS change for us to do a trade AND pick up the tab..

Goldy won't accept a pay cut and north won't take ~300k of his wage a year for 2 years

I reckon we could be tempted with some very good picks in exchange. We have the cap space spare and Kelly is out of contract when Goldy comes out of contract, so we're just effectively parking some coin..

Last edited:

We do have the capacity to pay our players I beleive but some tough calls have been made on Smith and possibly Kennedy. Our 2018 cap must be planned. Issue is whether Mummy was budgeted for and I suspect he was. It's pretty obvious he hoped to play on and I dont beleive we would blindside him like that.

I like Goldstein as a ruck and would be happy to see him him in orange and grey. It just doesn't fit our plans and the contract payment would be hard to fit into 2019 I expect. We've extended Taranto, Setterfield, Perryman and Whitfield with payments beginning then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back