Summer Tokyo 2021 Day 4 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volleyball is i guess my sport, have played and coached it for 30+ years, both kids play for the state so I am a bit biased, but some of the rallies and amazing ball recoveries etc make it such a great sport to watch.
Watching volleyball this Olympics has made me wonder a bit why Australia are so poor at it. There are over 200K registered players and it's very well-participated in school and club. Obviously it's a popular port globally hence a lot of competition, but I would've thought we'd be better than where we ranked given the likes of Cameroon, Tunisia and, even, Qatar are ranked higher in the men's and ranked 40th in the women.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching volleyball this Olympics has made me wonder a bit why Australia are so poor at it. There are over 200K registered players and it's very well-participated in school and club. Obviously it's a popular port globally hence a lot of competition, but I would've thought we'd be better than where we ranked given the likes of Cameroon, Tunisia and, even, Qatar are ranked higher in the men's and ranked 40th in the women.
Maybe if you're tall and jumpy you get drawn into footy or basketball more so than continuing with volleyball?

One NZ weightlifter is transgender. It's a really difficult and challenging topic.

I don't think transgender females should be allowed to compete in the female competition. Just my personal opinion.

Personally I think following international sporting medical guidelines are the best way - not all transgender people are the same - but I understand the consternation at the IOC permitting her to compete since there are legitimate questions as to whether the restrictions are too lax and there is no universal agreement as to where the line should be drawn.

It's a difficult topic which often offends and enrages. Hence, steering clear. I don't think I've said anything disagreeable on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back