Summer Tokyo 2021 - Swimming

Missed the 4x100 girls win today... full replay anywhere?

Here you go mate enjoy :)

Americans already sooking that we broke in the Womens Relay.

That country are a bunch of cry babies.
Yet didn't hear the same neanderthals complain when Zach Apple's reaction time was 0.05 seconds in the mens 4 x 100m freestyle relay final earlier in the meet!

Bunch of hypocritical muppets who sook it up at the first opportunity. Is it any wonder that no one likes them.

The look of devastation on the the face of their womens realy team coming second was priceless. Gave the rest of the world absolute joy!

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
What an amazing effort by our swim team. Couldn’t be prouder!

And those w***ers who were lurking on here just hoping we’d choke, and resorting to calling gutsy losses “chokes” - where are they now?😊
Exactly right. I won't forget the posters claiming the choke after the women's 4*200m freestyle final. This has been the greatest ever swimming performance by an Australian swimming team. They deserve all the plaudits, congratulations and recognition that they could possibly get. They have lifted the spirits of Australians and ensured the Tokyo Olympics have captured the hearts of the general public.

When I read this a few hours ago and her talking about going home to Wollongong

I immediately thought of this - Wollongong the Brave and then thought, Emma McKeon the Brave.

Ok you have to watch it by clicking on the Watch in You Tube link - probably so they can earn an advertising $.

My highlight was Nicole Livingstone on the international feed. Why the hell didn't seven get her for their coverage?!
Livingstone worked on 9's Wide World of Sports for years and their coverage of swimming. might still have an association with 9 despite being CEO of the AFLW.

Giaan Rooney usually does 7's swimming stuff has worked for them since late 2012 but post London games. Dont know why she didn't do it, but I reckon liked the fact that they had the 2 Aussie swimmers who have won the most swimming and Olympic medals for Australia as their experts.

Good break down of the 2 medley relays for the numbers nerds out there.

Women's

Men's

Good break down of the 2 medley relays for the numbers nerds out there.

Women's

Men's
So Apple had the same reaction time for the final leg as Cate did in the women’s.

Did the idiot Yank fans go off at him and call him a cheat and that the USA should be DQ’d???

Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
wombats
Yet didn't hear the same neanderthals complain when Zach Apple's reaction time was 0.05 seconds in the mens 4 x 100m freestyle relay final earlier in the meet!

Bunch of hypocritical muppets who sook it up at the first opportunity. Is it any wonder that no one likes them.

The look of devastation on the the face of their womens realy team coming second was priceless. Gave the rest of the world absolute joy!
They sent a b grade women's side over and we still couldn't do em
Dressell the difference
Other than stubbie where were our men ?

US correspondents take on their performance including some medal states. This bit I quoted was of interest to me.

But in total, the U.S. will leave this meet with BIG questions to answer about team selection and relay selection following what was probably the United States’ worst Olympic relay performance in recent memory.

But in spite of the final numbers being not that bad, I think there are two primary factors driving this taste of disappointment in the hoi polloi of American swimming.

One is most obvious, and that’s the men’s 800 free relay and mixed 400 medley relay. Their 4th and 5th place performances, respectively, are the lowest-ever performances by American relays at the Olympic Games and the only ones to not medal.

I think the other is more nuanced.
When we think about American swimming at the Olympics, we think about the swimmers who rise to the moment and grab medals that maybe we didn’t think they were going to win. In 2016, that included names like Anthony Ervin in the 50 free, Cody Miller in the 100 breast, David Plummer in the 100 back, Simone Manuel in the 100 free, and Maya DiRado in the 200 back.

In a normal Olympics, those “pleasant surprises” are additive to the long roster of favorites holding serve.

In Tokyo, we certainly got some pleasant surprises from the Americans. Bobby Finke winning the 800 and 1500 both was arguably the stunner of the week. Lydia Jacoby upsetting Lilly King in the 100 breast was huge.

But there were so many “could’ve beens” that didn’t come true that those pleasant surprises were just kind of bringing us back to neutral.................

US correspondents take on their performance including some medal states. This bit I quoted was of interest to me.

But in total, the U.S. will leave this meet with BIG questions to answer about team selection and relay selection following what was probably the United States’ worst Olympic relay performance in recent memory.

But in spite of the final numbers being not that bad, I think there are two primary factors driving this taste of disappointment in the hoi polloi of American swimming.

One is most obvious, and that’s the men’s 800 free relay and mixed 400 medley relay. Their 4th and 5th place performances, respectively, are the lowest-ever performances by American relays at the Olympic Games and the only ones to not medal.

I think the other is more nuanced.
When we think about American swimming at the Olympics, we think about the swimmers who rise to the moment and grab medals that maybe we didn’t think they were going to win. In 2016, that included names like Anthony Ervin in the 50 free, Cody Miller in the 100 breast, David Plummer in the 100 back, Simone Manuel in the 100 free, and Maya DiRado in the 200 back.

In a normal Olympics, those “pleasant surprises” are additive to the long roster of favorites holding serve.

In Tokyo, we certainly got some pleasant surprises from the Americans. Bobby Finke winning the 800 and 1500 both was arguably the stunner of the week. Lydia Jacoby upsetting Lilly King in the 100 breast was huge.

But there were so many “could’ve beens” that didn’t come true that those pleasant surprises were just kind of bringing us back to neutral.................
To me America has over performed at the last few Olympics medal wise. I believe it is a combination of having Phelps (Though Dressel makes up some of that loss) and the fact Australia their biggest rival has massively under-performed.

And you can see that in the distribution of medals prior to London where they averaged 11.6 Gold medals per Olympics, then suddenly for London and Rio they got 16 a piece, this Olympics was simply them falling back to the mean.

Kareena Lee picked up bronze, almost stealing silver, but 5 times world champion Cunha of Brazil won by 3/4 of a body length in the 10km marathon open water swimming.

* me swimming for 1 minute 59 minutes and then having a sprint right at the end.

Commentator just said getting up at 3am for a 6am swim to swim when the water and air temperature was reasonable.

Last edited:
Announced yesterday arvo was that the great Canadian simmer, Canada's greatest and dual 200IM+400IM gold medalist at LA, Alex Baumann has resigned as CEO of Swimming Australia after 4 or 5 months, due to poor health. Before becoming CEO, since 2017 he had been Chief Strategist of the high-performance arm of Swimming Australia and been responsible for shaping things for the swim team post Rio.

Baumann has an interesting background and successful career. He was part of that great Canadian swimming team that Don Talbot was in charge of from 1983 to 1988 Seoul Olympics before Swimming Australia brought Talbot back home after Canadian Swimming sacked him because he wanted higher qualification standards for Canadian swimmer to reach.

Baumann was very outspoken about Don's sacking and put him on the outer with their swimming officials as he was a TV commentator at that stage then got stuck into them again when the Canadians did poorly at Auckland Comm Games in 1990 and was the start of a long decline in their swimming results.

He met his Aussie wife a fellow swimmer at 1982 brisbane Comm Games and they married a few months before Seoul Olympics. I had just arrived in Canada at the time for my 12 month working holiday and I remember it was big news in the social pages.

He moved to Oz in mid 1990's had various head roles with Qld Academy of Sports and Qld swimming and after Canada did poorly in Sydney the COC advertised for a CEO, he applied but was turned down, many say they will still bitter about his past criticism. When the job came up again after 2004 he refused to apply. But he got the CEO's job in 2006 to be head of Summer Olympics programs for 2008 and 2012 Olympics. He set top 18 and top 12 goals respectively for the Canadian Olympic team and just missed them.

He then moved to NZ to be he CEO of Sports New Zealand High performance and at Rio NZ had their most successful games in terms of total medals and won 18 with 4 golds. He then moved to Oz to be closer to his grown up daughters who live in Queensland.

Hopefully Swimming Oz has replaced him in the Chief Strategist role back in April with someone who will continue his good work for many years and a new CEO as capable as he is eventhough it was only a short tenure.

Just a handful of months after having been appointed Chief Executive of Swimming Australia, Alex Baumann has announced he will be leaving the post due to health reasons.

“As a two-time cancer survivor, I appreciate how important health and family are. I’ve been so pleased with the performance of our Olympians and excited for our para-swimmers who depart for Tokyo next week. I recognise the timing is difficult but I know I must take this time for myself and my family now,” Baumann said.

Baumann’s departure comes on the heels of the nation’s best-ever swimming team performance at an Olympic Games. The squad scored 9 gold medals which surpassed its count from the previous most successful Games of Melbourne in 1956.

“I’m proud of my contribution to swimming. My time at Swimming Australia, including the results at the Tokyo Olympics, will forever be a career highlight,” said Baumann

Baumann moved into the chief role this past spring, replacing Leigh Russell. At the time, Baumann had already been serving as the leader of the high-performance arm of Swimming Australia as the organization’s Chief Strategist, a position he’s held since 2017. He was also the former Executive Director for the Queensland Academy of sport and CEO of Queensland Swimming.

Baumann also served as Chief Executive of High-Performance Sport New Zealand and is credited with helping the nation achieve 18 medals in Rio, its best Olympic performance ever.

Swimming Australia President Kieren Perkins said of Baumann’s stepping down, “Alex has been integral to our success from his experience in high performance as well as his leadership within our organization.

“We’re sad to see Alex go. This is a great loss for our sport, but we understand his reasons for leaving and thank him for everything he has done at Swimming Australia. We understand health is more important than anything else. We wish him and his family all the best for the future.

The Swimming Australia Board will be appointing an interim CEO as it begins the recruitment process.

Last edited:
Whateley had a really good long 36 minute interview with Dean Boxall this morning talking Titmus, Oz swimming and other stuff whilst still in quarantine.

At about 30.20 Whateley said he had 2 last questions. First was to settle the pub debate that if he had his time again, would he change Titmus swimming the anchor league instead of the first. It was a strong - absolutely not.

He gave a 4 minute answer, went on about how it was 3 years in the planning, they were always going to have 4 heat swimmers and 4 finals swimmers, and that he coached Molly O'Callaghan, so his plan for her was always to only swim the heat, despite how well her time was and let the 4 finals swimmers have the night off and rest for the morning final.

He did admit he would change 1 thing for Arnie, to make sure she was faster in her lead off leg.

She had won the 400m and 200m, she was getting tired and after 200m win - he said Arnie have the afternoon off, go have a sleep, relax watch other Oz athletes on the TV in the village. She told Dean she felt like a zombie at 6pm, he told her to go for a walk, have a feed, have another sleep, she did and was ready to go after that. Boxall says he should have gone to the gym and pushed her a bit. He said things he had asked her to do, slowed her down a bit, after she had been moving at such a fast pace. He said his mistake was not to keep her moving.

So the timeline was Wednesday morning she wins 200m, has the arvo off, Wednesday night the 4 heat swimmers swim relay heat, Thursday morning is the final of 4x200m relay.

Wednesday she wins 200m in 1.53.50, Chinese swimmer Yang finished 4th in 1.55.01. In the relay Titmus leads off with a 1.54.51 with a reaction time of 0.72 (200m final was 0.71), Yang swim's a 1.54.37 with a reaction time of 0.65 (200m final was 0.66). smith the US swimmer did a 1.56.34 lead off leg

China beat yanks by 0.40 seconds and Yanks beat Oz by 0.56. Titmus does a 1.53.9x Australia beats Yanks and might have beaten Chinese if they started last leg in front rather than 0.41 behind Chinese. Ledecky might not have gone as hard if both Oz and China were 2 seconds ahead.

These are all just such fine margins.

Whateley's last question was - how do you change what happens next? How do you mount the next campaign? Boxall very cleverly answers it without giving an answer.

Last edited:
A few days late for the anniversary but this was discussed during the Olympics re Ledecky and Titmus swimming multiple freestyle events.

Back