Player Watch Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez... some very revealing stuff about the way Hawks run things in here. Not surprised he wanted out.
Love you, Wombat!

That part about the Hawks was really fascinating. I think Tom's analysis was spot on that being their strategy to force him out.

Wonder what went on between him and Neale during the game. Tom seemed genuinely concerned that Lachie might have considered it friendship over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A text version of how Hawthorn mistreated Premiership Hero Tom Mitchell from nine.com.au

'This is weird': Star Magpie Tom Mitchell goes public with explosive Hawks claims

Zachary Gates WWOS Journalist
By Zachary Gates

Star Collingwood midfielder Tom Mitchell has gone public with explosive claims about his relationship with Hawthorn in his final year as a Hawk, detailing a game review that made him "feel like absolute s**t" and admitting he "didn't really feel valued" by the club.
Mitchell secured a trade from Hawthorn to Collingwood in October 2022 and, 12 months later, has a premiership medal in his keeping, having featured in the Magpies' four-point grand final triumph over the Brisbane Lions.
Just over a week after tasting premiership success at the MCG, he unloaded on Hawthorn in his Ball Magnets podcast.

"I knew my time was up at Hawthorn. I knew it. I probably knew that at the start of that season," said the 2018 Brownlow Medal winner.
"I wanted to stay at Hawthorn for the rest of my career. I was content, happy.
"But certain things happened. I knew they wanted me out. I knew as soon as round one, round two. Some funny things happened.
"The coaches do a game-rating system out of five at Hawthorn, which they put on the walls for everyone to see after a game.

"I'm very close with all the Hawthorn players, we're very good mates.
"In round one, I think we played North, I was the only player in the team to get rated a one out of five. In round two we had a [64-point] win against Port Adelaide away. Great team win. I was the only player that got rated a two out of five or less. Only player in the whole team.
"The funniest thing about both of those games was I think I got Brownlow votes in both games, so I played pretty well.
"But there were some signs there. I'm like, 'Something's going on here, this is weird'."

Mitchell then opened up on one match review in particular.
"There was this one particular meeting I remember — and I don't want to come across as [though] I'm complaining; this is more just how I was feeling and how I felt I was being made to feel.
"There was a meeting in particular, a game review, a chat with Dylan Moore, Finn Maginness, Will Day, these guys who are some of my good mates still. We call it the Tom Mitchell game review. That was the signed, sealed, delivered. I knew after that meeting I'm not coming back here next year, whatever happens I'm not coming to Hawthorn.

"There was a game review where there was something like five or so clips of just me. There were a few that were fair ... but I got barrelled in this meeting. All five clips, that was the meeting done, and I walked out of that thinking, 'Are you serious? This is unprofessional, unfair, made me feel like absolute s**t in front of everyone', and that happened a few times."
Hawthorn took its list in a significantly different direction in the 2022 trade period, offloading veterans Mitchell, Jaegar O'Meara and Jack Gunston, and turning its focus to youth and development.
Sam Mitchell, a member of the Hawks' four premiership sides between 2008 and 2014, took on the job as Hawthorn's head coach and made dramatic moves early.
"We've got a lot of Hawthorn staff now at Collingwood," Mitchell added.
"I was chatting to [Collingwood development coach] Andy Otten and he remembers the meeting as well.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ffbca499a-59ab-4d69-851a-0bcc9e655e0e

Jeremy Howe (left) and Tom Mitchell celebrate Collingwood's grand final victory over Brisbane. (Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

"From that point onward I was just [thinking], 'I'm not coming back here', and I loved Hawthorn. I still do. I had a lot of great times there. But that was when I knew I'm not coming back here."
The 30-year-old said he was now in a far better mental space because of his move to the Magpies.
"I just didn't really feel valued at all in terms of what I could help and contribute with to the group [at Hawthorn]," Mitchell said.
"I was pretty happy when the opportunity came to come to Collingwood and a fresh start was exactly what I needed.
"I moved 12 months forward. It's easy to say now that we've won and can celebrate and these things, but I think regardless of if we won I'm just a much happier person with where I'm at in my life right now."
Wide World of Sports has contacted Hawthorn for comment.

Tom has been outstanding and the massive efforts he put in this year was reaped by us pies mob Hawks really stuffed up letting him go

I know Mitchell the coach didn't like Tom. Don't know why.
Arrogant prick. Perhaps he saw him as his successor at inside midfield.
Why on earth would you get rid of him.
Thanks anyway Sam.

I think Tom nailed it, Sam wanted him gone so essentially bullied him into wanting to leave rather than forcing him to leave

Yeah. Not good.
Mate they are trying to clean it up. Get around them, just keep Kennett out.

Edit: hopefully just a lapse from. Sam Mitchell. He almost left Hawthorn at the end of 2011, his manager had roughed out a deal with Collingwood simply because Clarckson was so harsh on players.

I hope he learns from this. Fine coach already, but you can't treat blokes like this. I think we had something like kke this with Bucks toward the end when poor management meant we had to shed players. Maybe S Mitchell was cleaning up his list managers mess?

Last edited:
Mate they are trying to clean it up. Get around them, just keep Kennett out.

Edit: hopefully just a lapse from. Sam Mitchell. He almost left Hawthorn at the end of 2011, his manager had roughed out a deal with Collingwood simply because Clarckson was so harsh on players.

I hope he learns from this. Fine coach already, but you can't treat blokes like this. I think we had something like kke this with Bucks toward the end when poor management meant we had to shed players. Maybe S Mitchell was cleaning up his list managers mess?
THe concept of everyone walking into the rooms with a rating out of 5 displayed for each players game ... Just so bad.

Lol pull up campaigner your clubs been just as bad culturally as anyone’s in the last 10 years
Lol.
Says he who feels the need to not only visit another teams board, but then have a crack at someone about an opinion.
And an opinion based around a coach….not a club in general

I’m sure you can see the absolute irony in using the term you did in the context that you chose to….then again, perhaps not!

Top notch by you!!

Lol.
Says he who feels the need to not only visit another teams board, but then have a crack at someone about an opinion.

I’m sure you can see the absolute irony in using the term you did in the context that you chose to….then again, perhaps not!

Top notch by you!!

Lol.

Top notch by you!!

Lol I got a notification about someone posting here and responded. Genuinely thought it was the hawks board but idc, some of the high horsery around the T.Mitchell stuff has been astounding honestly and I would’ve posted the same response regardless of where it was.

Lol I got a notification about someone posting here and responded. Genuinely thought it was the hawks board but idc, some of the high horsery around the T.Mitchell stuff has been astounding honestly and I would’ve posted the same response regardless of where it was.
Yup. And if it was posted on the hawks board…fair enough!!

But it’s just an opinion on the pies board from someone looking from the outside with limited details.
So probably wasn’t worth the vitriol on your behalf.

PS….Maybe turn notifications off for the next few days as I suspect a few other of my Magpies brethren will have their say when they jump on :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back