Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Heres my list

1. Dale Thomas
2. Brad Johnson
3. Chris Tarrant
4. Matthew Lloyd
5. Gary Ablett Jnr.

Gary Ablett being on the list will probably be a bit controversial but he is over hyped because of Gary Snr. but after all its opinion. Ok i took wayne carey off i admit i made a mistake

I think Carey will be your most controversial pick there mate...
Picked by many as the greatest player to play the game, doesn't belong to be mentioned anywhere near Daisy.

i did think about he probably should be lower but the way Bruce McAvaney used to talk about him made me think different

Worst list ever.

Firstly, Daisy isnt rated. He has great marketing value, hence his head is everywhere (its the look) but he is not even in the pies best 10. Wouldnt get near a best current 100 players.
Tarrent the same without any marketing appeal. Everyone thinks hes been a dud. Not worthy of this type of list.
The other 3 are just silly. And you know that. Poor thread.

Heres my list

1. Dale Thomas
2. Wayne Carey
3. Chris Tarrant
4. Matthew Lloyd
5. Gary Ablett Jnr.

Gary Ablett being on the list will probably be a bit controversial but he is over hyped because of Gary Snr. but after all its opinion

wayne carey,over rated hardly,the best ever CHF,with rules regarding holding,blocking,and arm chopping as they are today he would have kicked 200 goals in a season,

dont agree with gazza being here either,

your credibility is zilch

The best player of all time is over rated? The best player today is over rated? One of the best set shots for goal and one of the top 10 goal kickers of all time is over rated?

Trivial that you put these names up there with Dale Thomas.

Do you have any actual reasons why instead of just saying it's your opinion? I see you changed Dale Thomas to number one instead of Carey. Why is that? Was your opinion changed all of a sudden?

Heres my list

1. Dale Thomas
2. Wayne Carey
3. Chris Tarrant
4. Matthew Lloyd
5. Gary Ablett Jnr.

The only ones I agree is Thomas & Tarrant (when he plays forward, as a backman you could say he is a little under-rated, a far better player down back then in the forward line, looks comfortable). Dont agree with Gary Ablett Jnr. His ability to get the ball in traffic and deliver is fantastic to watch.

how the hell can wayne carey be mentioned in this he is an absolute champion best CHF ever its crazy he is mentioned in the term Overated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have any actual reasons why instead of just saying it's your opinion? I see you changed Dale Thomas to number one instead of Carey. Why is that? Was your opinion changed all of a sudden?
well after everyone pointed out that Wayne Carey was a very good player (which is true) the only reason he was on there because he got alot of hype but now that ive thought about probably shouldn't be in my list list and ill replace him with brad johnson

5 that are overrated simply in the fact they won a Brownlow

1) Libba
2) Scott West
3) Brad Hardie
4) Woewoeful
5) Dippa

Nathan Buckley - he did win the Rising Star award in 1993 with the Bears, numerous Copeland Trophies and the 2003 Brownlow with Ricciuto and Goodes but he gained more hype than he did because he played for Collingwood. Eddie McGuire was able to generate more hype around him than what he should have got and stood out in a team full of mediocre players. A Top 200 player? Yes. Top 100? Probably not. Top 50? No. Top 25? Certainly not

Chris Judd - he hasn't finished yet but compared to other star centremen, he is too reliant on pace and stamina for my liking. He has good judgement but there have been on-ballers with better technique and more flair. If I had to pick another current player, I'd go for Gary Ablett Jnr and that's more for the name he carries and not on his actual ability. Comparisions with his father are very annoying. If not those two, Leon Davis is another one but that is because Brian Taylor is just a massive fanboy. The rest of the media doesn't praise him like Taylor does

Graham Arthur - he is a Hawthorn legend but 201 goals in 232 matches sounds pretty crap for half-forward flanker. Apparently he played some games as a centreman but Hawthorn had Brendan Edwards and Ian Law in the centre during his time.

Ken Fraser - similar to Arthur. He is an Essendon legend but 197 goals in 198 games sounds rather poor for a centre half-forward

Scott West - similar reasoning to Buckley but Bucks was more talented. He would get many possessions in matches but he was nothing more than a solid performer. Voss, Hird and Harvey were better and even Crawford was a more talented player. When it comes to rating Bulldogs players from his time, Rohan Smith and Brad Johnson were better players

Nathan Buckley - he did win the Rising Star award in 1993 with the Bears, numerous Copeland Trophies and the 2003 Brownlow with Ricciuto and Goodes but he gained more hype than he did because he played for Collingwood. Eddie McGuire was able to generate more hype around him than what he should have got and stood out in a team full of mediocre players. A Top 200 player? Yes. Top 100? Probably not. Top 50? No. Top 25? Certainly not

Chris Judd - he hasn't finished yet but compared to other star centremen, he is too reliant on pace and stamina for my liking. He has good judgement but there have been on-ballers with better technique and more flair. If I had to pick another current player, I'd go for Gary Ablett Jnr and that's more for the name he carries and not on his actual ability. Comparisions with his father are very annoying. If not those two, Leon Davis is another one but that is because Brian Taylor is just a massive fanboy. The rest of the media doesn't praise him like Taylor does

Graham Arthur - he is a Hawthorn legend but 201 goals in 232 matches sounds pretty crap for half-forward flanker. Apparently he played some games as a centreman but Hawthorn had Brendan Edwards and Ian Law in the centre during his time.

Ken Fraser - similar to Arthur. He is an Essendon legend but 197 goals in 198 games sounds rather poor for a centre half-forward

Scott West - similar reasoning to Buckley but Bucks was more talented. He would get many possessions in matches but he was nothing more than a solid performer. Voss, Hird and Harvey were better and even Crawford was a more talented player. When it comes to rating Bulldogs players from his time, Rohan Smith and Brad Johnson were better players

Agree with West (as per my list), but you are seriously off the mark with Buckley and Judd. Big game performers, consistent All Australians, Norm Smith Medalists and BF winners are rarely over rated.

The brownlow is overated as a measure for judging greatness. See Matthews, Carey, Kernahan, Ablett, etc as examples why

Fair enough. Maybe Buckley would appeal to me more if he didn't play for Collingwood and if McGuire's man-crush on him wasn't so obvious but I stand by my Judd comments for now. It depends who he is compared with too and the reasoning.

One player I should have listed is Joel Bowden. How does a guy like him get 250 + games? Has he ever had a contested possession in his career? Darren Gaspar was overrated by people that actually rated him.

Just an aside - Who exactly rates Thomas so highly in the first place to make him overrated? And no, being on television doesn't count. All that means is that he has a good manager and a marketable look. Most Collingwood fans would agree that he's not in our top 7-8 players, so it's not Magpie fans pumping up his tyres.

One player I should have listed is Joel Bowden. How does a guy like him get 250 + games? Has he ever had a contested possession in his career?.

Lost count of how many times I've said this, but not everyone in the team must get contested possessions.He has a job, and over the years has done it very well. Bleeds yellow and black and is a very, very smart player. Certainly not overrated.

Just an aside - I want to know who rates Thomas so highly that he's overrated? And no, being on television doesn't count. All that means is that he has a good manager and a marketable look. Most Collingwood fans would agree that he's not in our top 7-8 players.

Exactly Damon, it's only us Collingwood supporters that no he's not overrated. The only compliments I see him receive are that he can take the speccy or kick a goal for the highlights, which he can, but so can most players. If he wasn't on any TV ads or The Footy Show and had normal hair, he wouldn't be rated. Most Collingwood players get that extra bit of stick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back