Opinion Top 5 Most Overrated Players Of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going to criticize the list, but just to say that because a player is considered the best ever or the best currently does not mean he can't be see as overrated, even if you hold those views.

FWIW i thought Carey was overrated even though I think he was one of the best to play and think Ablett Jnr is a little overrated even though I consider him to be the best player currently.

Overrating is based on Hype v Ability.

Lost count of how many times I've said this, but not everyone in the team must get contested possessions.He has a job, and over the years has done it very well. Bleeds yellow and black and is a very, very smart player. Certainly not overrated.
He gets so many possessions but they are very cheap and easy. Throughout his career he hasn't played the ball out of defence enough or not enough for someone who ranks up as many disposals as he does.

If you want a fine example of a man who gets plenty of disposals but knows how to bring the ball out of defence, watch Josh Drummond for Brisbane. He's the type of player Bowden should have been.

I'm not going to criticize the list, but just to say that because a player is considered the best ever or the best currently does not mean he can't be see as overrated, even if you hold those views.

FWIW i thought Carey was overrated even though I think he was one of the best to play and think Ablett Jnr is a little overrated even though I consider him to be the best player currently.

Overrating is based on Hype v Ability.

thank you thats what i was trying to say

brent harvey - too many cheap possies that dont mean anything, cant win his own ball and he's a midget as*hole of the highest order.

cameron bruce - at any other club he wouldve been delisted a long time ago

michael o'loughlin - same as cameron bruce, what has he ever done? "magic"???? i think not

trent croad - if ever a spazz this is the guy, i still cant work out how he has a premiership medal. very lucky boy.

Stephen Silvagni

Don't get me wrong - terrific player (yes, better than anything Richmond have had in the last 20 years). I just don't think he was 'clearly' the best full-back of his time, and I'm not at all sure about the Team of the Century.

Interestingly, when the Herald-Sun did their 'Best players of the 20th Century' they didn't even have Silvagni as the best Carlton full-back - they rated Southby better. All opinions are of equal value.

I think Silvagni was potentially a better player than we saw - some of his stints up forward were quite impressive. But purely as a full-back - very, very good - not as good as his reputation (but then he did score Jo Bailey so I guess he deserves extra points for that).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Archer - Corageous and all but was mediocre in most other areas of the game.
Nick Davis - One trick pony that won them the 2005 grand final but really was overrated for it.

My top 5 here few from my own team I must admit are overrated

1. Travis Cloke - 100 odd goals from 90 odd games hardly the greatest stats for him and the commentators/media love him
2. Dale Thomas - Flanker who does the odd brilliant thing but doesnt do any ordinary stuff like all good players hate the way commentators go on about him lucky to get 15 touches a game and has no impact way out wide
3. Anthony Rocca - When Sav retired I heard a commentator can't recall who say who's had the better career sav or anthony are you kidding Savs record is great and Anthony is one of the most inconsistent players ive seen whos bad games far far outway the good ones
4. Chad Cornes - Not sure he's that good a player never pays any respect to his opponents overrated for mine
5. Justin Kositschke - Must admit he's been better this year but before that he was very overrated

5 that are overrated simply in the fact they won a Brownlow

1) Libba
2) Scott West
3) Brad Hardie
4) Woewoeful
5) Dippa
you're not very bright are you? Scott West did not win a Brownlow although if he had been able to get the ball over the jam tin he just may have

With thomas opposition supporters just kick up a stink cos hes everywhere in the media, no one at the pies would probably even rate him in our top ten best players.

So who is actually rating him so high that hes over rated? Has a lot of development to go.

if you want over rated. Look no further than buddy, one season of 100 goals and hes being considered as the best player to ever play afl.

Thats over rated

1. Gavin Brown - very good player, but far from what Collingwood supporters and the media thought of him

2. Brent Harvey - again, very good player, but the gap between output and reputation is nonetheless still very large.

3. Jonothan Brown - inherently talented enough to be a great of his generation, but just hasn't put it together with sufficient consistency to warrant the hype. It seems that most people have never quite realised that he has in fact not inherited Carey's mantle, though he was predicted to.

4. Michael O'Loughlan - as someone else pointed out... magic? Not quite. A talented player, but output has never approximated reputation... not even close.

5. Stephen Silvagni - Overrated in terms of his position in the team of the century. Very good stopper of big forwards, but probably given that extra recognition because he played for so long, and managed to snag 200 goals along the way. Stats like these appear very impressive at first glance, but can be revealed to be not quite as glorious.

Current/recent players (ie. not of all time)

Matthew Richardson
Matthew Lloyd (without Hird, Lloyd would have been an OK FF at best)
Brendan Fevola
Mark Riccuito
Nick Riewoldt (although this year I've been impressed)
Glen Jakovich (wasnt even the best Jakovich and his match ups with Carey were overhyped)
Jonathan Brown
Jason Akermanis
Adam Goodes
Warren Tredrea

and some more I've probably missed.

All good players, but all have been hyped up beyond their actual performances at some stage.

1. Dale Thomas- pathetic ball use and not exciting
2. Nick Dal Santo- Inconsistent and soft
3. Travis Cloke- he is not a born Star
4. Brian Lake- good but not a superstar
5. Nick Stevens- He is a good midfielder but not as much as a superstar as everyone says, needs consistency

1. Dale Thomas- pathetic ball use and not exciting
What? Everyone acknowledges that Thomas plays an exciting brand of football but he is very inconsistent.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HE09W-SGjTc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HE09W-SGjTc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

3. Jonothan Brown - inherently talented enough to be a great of his generation, but just hasn't put it together with sufficient consistency to warrant the hype. It seems that most people have never quite realised that he has in fact not inherited Carey's mantle, though he was predicted to.
He had his injury issues and he constantly has two or three defenders on him. He could do with a few minutes in the midfield in some games to win cheap possessions.

In today's modern day, I reckon Bartel is overrated.

If he didn't have a brownlow attached to his name (for which ablett, and to a lesser degree harvey and cornes were the standout favourites to win), he wouldn't be rated as the elite superstar that he is today.

He's a gun, but I rate him a level below his team mate ablett and a couple of other midfielders in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back