Hall of Famer
30k Posts 10k Posts
Mar 9, 2001
Away from redneck country
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers
What happened to the little black dot, which showed which topics you have posted in, I thought I wasn't logged in, so logged out & logged in again & still no dots. :confused:

I noticed that too

]

smilies-6276.png

There are lots of things missing. The birthdays, the users online, and now the dots.

The things you take for granted that were always there. :mad:

Originally posted by Katthawk
There are lots of things missing. The birthdays, the users online, and now the dots.

The things you take for granted that were always there. :mad:

The B'days went nearly 6 weeks ago.

As for the other 2, they went yesterday. I wonder if turning them off, means running a 'leaner' version of Bigfooty on the server, and doesn't use as much bandwidth ie, saves running costs?

Originally posted by Danni
As for the other 2, they went yesterday. I wonder if turning them off, means running a 'leaner' version of Bigfooty on the server, and doesn't use as much bandwidth ie, saves running costs?

And there I was thinking this work PC had caused the problem........the dots were very handy when scrolling through older threads on boards........

I'm convinced there's another world out there and I'm not part of it. I've never heard of these dot things before.
How many other things are there I'm being kept in the dark about?:)

The envelopes on the far left, which show if you have opened a thread, or if any new posts since you last visited, well they used to have a black dot in them, if you had posted in that topic. :D

Originally posted by mantis
The envelopes on the far left, which show if you have opened a thread, or if any new posts since you last visited, well they used to have a black dot in them, if you had posted in that topic. :D

Hopefully the 'dot' will be back shortly! What I do is to click on 'Search' on a post I have replied to - then it brings up all my latest posts, and I can track which threads other people have responded to.

Originally posted by mantis

I wondered what those dots were - just not enough to enquire though.

Actually yeah - some tweaks were made to cut down on bandwidth.

Apologies if you liked that feature, but we need to keep the server healthy as we come into the season.

How about getting rid of avatars for a start then. They're a total waste of bandwidth.
Some sort of limit on post-quoting wouldn't go astray either. Is there an option to remove that feature for individual posters?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Fred
How about getting rid of avatars for a start then. They're a total waste of bandwidth.
Some sort of limit on post-quoting wouldn't go astray either. Is there an option to remove that feature for individual posters?

I agree, some people are addicted to always quoting everything someone else posts, even when not necessary. :D

Half a yard of quote with a two line reply.

You calling me fat? :p

Its when they quote a whole post in an articulated fashion with replies to each paragraph one after the other that get to me.

Yep they do make a difference. Lot's of bits and bobs go into checking your user name, then checking each thread, then outputting the right graphic.

Makes the server slower and there's more chance of 'server busy' messages.

I'm willing to stop quoting & getting rid of my avatar, but I want the dots back goddamn it, they save a lot of time & surely if people open less threads that don't interest them, that would save bandwidth.

It's not specifically the bandwidth - it's the load on the server to searchthrough threads to see what you've contributed to.

I've brought back the 'Who's Online' but that is all for the moment. Sorry.

Originally posted by Bluey

I've brought back the 'Who's Online' but that is all for the moment. Sorry.

Does anyone actually really care whos online??? Ive never once looked at the whos online thing on the main page.

The dots are important. If you havent been online for a day or two youve got absolutely no recollection of what threads youve posted in. Id say the dots is much more important than whos online. Does anyone actually look at the whos online thing??

Originally posted by Macca19
Does anyone actually really care whos online??? Ive never once looked at the whos online thing on the main page.

The dots are important. If you havent been online for a day or two youve got absolutely no recollection of what threads youve posted in. Id say the dots is much more important than whos online. Does anyone actually look at the whos online thing??

I paid some attention to who's online. Not a lot, but some.

The dots on the other hand, until this thread I had no idea of their existence, not mention their purpose.

Having said that, now that I know, I'd probably utilise them in the future.

I use 'who's online' a lot but not the dots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back