Topics you have contributed to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the dots. At least they tell you where you have posted in a topic or when you have started a topic.

Please Bluey can you bring them back?

I have a few to spare if ya need em

fp-6-1.jpg

Who's Online lets you see who is around and how many people are here to talk to. It's a good feature for new users - lets them know there are people around for discussion.

Something has to give - perhaps sigs could go?

Yeah, sigs could definitely go.

To be honest I never really knew what the dots were there for so I didn't notice their disappearance, and I rarely look at the 'who's online' feature.

Originally posted by Squeak
What's the deal with the dots? Can you see out of them? Do they change colour when you get ticked off?

If you post in a thread, the envelope on the forum page would show up with a black dot. Any new posts that you hadn't read would show up with an open envelope.

We'll see how it goes - the dots may be removed.

The server load is a serious issue that will not go away unless the site sustains itself cash-wise. The bandwidth will only get bigger as the season kicks in.

We'd love for everything to be free, but the fact is that servers, bandwidth, software and support cost cash.

Dots are back off - the server is freaking out with the load.

We might be able to work out why this is happening now when its been running for a while without these problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bluey

Just wondering, you sent emails to everyone to cut their sigs down to four lines & no huge writing, but seems no one has done it yet, so is this going to be enforced, maybe this will help with overload.

That is not a huge thing in regards to server load.

I've given people some notice so soon I'll start actually blowing the whistle and making wild hand gestures at people who ignored the message.

Wouldnt it make sense to add up the total posts on each board and start chopping from the least used boards.

Bigfooty should only have AFL General and team boards anyway not even general. I realise the site has expanded a lot though therefore music and entertainment (which should be combined in my op) were requested and the cricket and soccer ones obviously are popular.

Losing the dots has been annoying. All this talk about losing things like avatars, signatures, who's online, the dots etc is disappointing but I suppose you have to do what you have to do.

I hope the "who's online" stay as that is a good feature and you can tell if people are on and where they are so you can create discussion and so forth. The birthdays werent really needed but I hope the dots make a come back. I used them ALL the time.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
What constitutes four lines?

Your sig would not cause me any concern.

People can have coloured and bold writing, but keep it smaller and less intrusive.

Sigs running to 20 solid lines of text are ridiculous when the user posts two or three lines in a thread. They do add to bandwidth and they reduce the readability of the page.

Originally posted by Bluey
Sigs running to 20 solid lines of text are ridiculous when the user posts two or three lines in a thread. They do add to bandwidth and they reduce the readability of the page.

Step right up Rooboy96.

Originally posted by mantis
Bluey

Just wondering, you sent emails to everyone to cut their sigs down to four lines & no huge writing, but seems no one has done it yet, so is this going to be enforced, maybe this will help with overload.

Got Bluey's e-mail, and edited mine accordingly. Four lines, small (1.5-point) text.

C'mon, people, follow my lead here. :D

And to answer Mobbers' question, I think a "line" on a BigFooty signature is defined by the length to which a person writes and then hits the "enter" or "return" key. At least I think that's what it is...

Also agree with Spidey-- if there are too many inactive, and long inactive, accounts clogging up the system, maybe those can be put in the proverbial refuse bin. That way, keep avatars, signatures, and all the other bells and whistles while increasing the bandwidth (just a theorhetical assumption here)... and it keeps everyone happy here, hopefully. :)

I've started moving inactive accounts to a special 'Inactive' user class.

I might go through and wipe any that haven't visited the site in over twelve months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back