Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe so, but mistakes have always been a part of his game; some more than others. I still value Hamling ahead of him.

I remember Adams played one of the worst games I've ever seen against the Pies in the Nab cup. Was that also his foot? Or was he just making clanger after clanger because it was the Nab cup?
Adams is only behind Morris as 1st picked for the backline when fit...trust me on that one...
Hamlings stocks have risen markedly ill grant you.. but Adams is clearly a better player/prospect moving forward

His had how many games experience?
I never said he was a bad player, or couldn't improve. I'm saying he's being overrated in this thread, and that I prefer Hamling.

Hamling against GWS cost us multiple goals & then made up for it with a good game in the Grand Final.

Every player is prone to a poor game, especially the less experienced ones.
GWS Game was a one-off in the context of our finals series. Overall, he just looks more natural in our system compared to Adams. Not as glamorous or explosive, but more efficient and intelligent.

Again, in 2017, there is no question he should be ahead of Adams as far as selections go. Fletcher Roberts is the one up for debate, and he hardly deserves to lose his spot either.

Hamling isn't the bee's knees. He performs well in our structure due to the zone defence he plays. He had a few decent one on one contests in the finals, certainly, but he still lost his fair share of one on one battles too. One of them against Cyril in the SF was a worry. Not only did Hamling get outmarked by the much smaller Cyril, but he failed to keep his feet and Cyril ran into the easiest of open goals.

An injured Buddy also beat him a couple of times in a couple of one on one contests.

But then I look at how Hamling smashed both Kennedy and Cameron (even breaking even in some one on one contests) and it makes me believe he will continue to improve and become a very good defender.

I would much rather we keep Hamling if we can't get something in return that is better or equal value to pick 25.
i think people really underrate the physical attributes Hamling has and how well they translate to the modern game (and we as a club are the perfect picture of modern footy). He can defend big and small because he's long enough for bigs and quick enough for smalls. That he's a high IQ defender is a bonus. You take that every day of the week and absorb when he's caught one out against a gorilla because you can usually hurt that gorilla the other way.

Also on the game v Cyril, surely that was more heartening than disheartening? He outright beat him twice in a row when the Hawks were peppering it in. Cyril loves that crap and Hamling sold both infringements perfectly.

i wouldn't even say his game v GWS was poor. Goals have to come from somewhere, he still held structure damn well he just made 2 more errors than he did in the rest of the finals (0)
well...poor by his standards
I'll put it like that.
I was only using him as a comparison because he is familiar to us all and I don't really watch anyone else ;)

Hamling isn't the bee's knees. He performs well in our structure due to the zone defence he plays. He had a few decent one on one contests in the finals, certainly, but he still lost his fair share of one on one battles too. One of them against Cyril in the SF was a worry. Not only did Hamling get outmarked by the much smaller Cyril, but he failed to keep his feet and Cyril ran into the easiest of open goals.

An injured Buddy also beat him a couple of times in a couple of one on one contests.

But then I look at how Hamling smashed both Kennedy and Cameron (even breaking even in some one on one contests) and it makes me believe he will continue to improve and become a very good defender.

I would much rather we keep Hamling if we can't get something in return that is better or equal value to pick 25.
You think Hamling is the only opponent Cyril Rioli has outmarked? Rioli's a good player, it's not the end of the world for him to beat you in a contest.

As for Franklin, how much his injury affected him is up for debate; he seemed to be running fine to me. What isn't up for debate is how he absolutely smashed Adams earlier in the year, kicking 5.4 on him.

something i really like about Hamling (as long as he stays) is he ain't getting any weaker as he ages

i think people really underrate the physical attributes Hamling has and how well they translate to the modern game (and we as a club are the perfect picture of modern footy). He can defend big and small because he's long enough for bigs and quick enough for smalls. That he's a high IQ defender is a bonus. You take that every day of the week and absorb when he's caught one out against a gorilla because you can usually hurt that gorilla the other way.

Also on the game v Cyril, surely that was more heartening than disheartening? He outright beat him twice in a row when the Hawks were peppering it in. Cyril loves that crap and Hamling sold both infringements perfectly.
Yes, those two free kicks Hammer got within 30 seconds was good. I hadn't forgotten about them. I think I literally picked apart the only bad part from his game (there may have been one or two more, but the negatives are at a minimal).

And match committee...

If Adams didnt get injured then Hamling wouldve celebrated with the VFL boys
Sorry, I didn't realize you had a 'What if' machine.

I guess that means you can also confirm we would've won the flag with Adams as the starting fullback, and that Buddy wouldn't have kicked a bag on him in the Grand Final.

You think Hamling is the only opponent Cyril Rioli has outmarked? Rioli's a good player, it's not the end of the world for him to beat you in a contest.

As for Franklin, how much his injury affected him is up for debate; he seemed to be running fine to me. What isn't up for debate is how he absolutely smashed Adams earlier in the year, kicking 5.4 on him.
Very good point on Adams getting smashed by Buddy. As I mentioned a few pages back, Adams' effort against the Swans was deplorable. It is the last game he played. It may have been mentioned previously, so excuse me if it has, but was Adams playing injured in that game? He was a late out against Port a few weeks earlier too.

I agree that Adams is overrated and has brain fades and can butcher the ball. I hope Hamling stays and we can get a good trade for Adams.

Adams has played so few games so to be assessing him on what he can't do is the exact opposite of what our recruiters do....assess on the basis of what he can do.

This sort of faulty logic is what MD does with Dickson and Jong....and why he keeps getting it wrong. And why Caleb Daniel has proved to be such a winner for us.

Adams will be a star, injuries permitting, and we should be going all out to make him fall in love with being here. If it is clearly obvious what the outcome will be already, then we must act now.

Hamling, on the other hand, is mobile, adept at assessing a situation, agile. We can ill afford to lose a player of his type without developing or receiving a replacement in kind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams has played so few games so to be assessing him on what he can't do is the exact opposite of what our recruiters do....assess on the basis of what he can do.

This sort of faulty logic is what MD does with Dickson and Jong....and why he keeps getting it wrong. And why Caleb Daniel has proved to be such a winner for us.

Adams will be a star, injuries permitting, and we should be going all out to make him fall in love with being here. If it is clearly obvious what the outcome will be, then we must act now.

Hamling is mobile, adept at assessing a situation, agile. We can ill afford to lose a player of his type without developing or receiving a replacement in kind.
Nobody is assessing him on the back of a few bad games. Just because someone labels him overrated doesn't mean they don't rate him. Do you know what overrated means?

I feel like Dogs will keep Hamling and Adams and Adams will readjust to melbourne and likely have his family come over for a while.

I hate for him to go but at the end of the day, it's just footy. Family always comes first

Hamling isn't the bee's knees. He performs well in our structure due to the zone defence he plays.

Yes, and no.

I'm watching the GWS game atm, and have been trying to focus on our defensive match-ups. (Tbh, it's a bit tough when I'm still yelling and pumping the fists! )...

...I should have been taking notes, but interesting that Richo proclaims that Hambling has shut Cameron out midway thru the 3rd...but he's very, very rarely been on him.
Clearly our zone rotates all the time, but so far he's only been in a contest with Cameron ONCE. (I'm @ 3/4 time).
[Roberts beats him 1-1 more times in the game.]

Their first goal was a horrible, needless shove. The smothered ball by Green where he was a bit slow and one sided...
Did body out Patton on 2-3 occasions (which is good!), but misjudged the flight so no one touched the ball...saved once by Morris's dive on the line, and once by the post.

I'm not knocking! I'm certainly not hating.

This has been one of the best weeks in my life and he's been a decent reason why...
...but he ain't worth 500k.

I hope he stays. But equally, I'm confident that we won't stretch to do so.

Who is the best tall defender in the state leagues?

Send Adams home for a first then draft the next best bloke with our 2nd or one of the Stevens / Rat picks.

Hopefully we keep both Hamling and Adams at least for next year. If Adams wants to go home at the end of his contract then so be it, but hopefully we throw everything at Steven May to take his spot.

Nobody is assessing him on the back of a few bad games. Just because someone labels him overrated doesn't mean they don't rate him. Do you know what overrated means?
you said he was overrated and then assessed him on the back of one game, the game against Sydney.
You're assessing his value based on one game?

Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back