Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Adams is being overrated a bit. The idea of a big, strong, fast defender that takes contested marks obviously evokes memories of Brian Lake, but he also inherited his brain fades. I was watching the Sydney game earlier in the year, and he made a lot of bad decisions in that game, especially coming out of defence.

I'd much rather keep Hamling, and he's absolutely ahead of Adams in the team right now. He has all the right attributes for the role he plays, he fits into the defensive system we have perfectly and he played a vital role in our flag win. If he wants more money, just pay it, he's worth it.

We should be valuing all of our premiership players a lot higher than some here are suggesting. Pick 35 for Hamling is a joke.

I think Adams is being overrated a bit. The idea of a big, strong, fast defender that takes contested marks obviously evokes memories of Brian Lake, but he also inherited his brain fades. I was watching the Sydney game earlier in the year, and he made a lot of bad decisions in that game, especially coming out of defence.

I'd much rather keep Hamling, and he's absolutely ahead of Adams in the team right now. He has all the right attributes for the role he plays, he fits into the defensive system we have perfectly and he played a vital role in our flag win. If he wants more money, just pay it, he's worth it.

We should be valuing all of our premiership players a lot higher than some here are suggesting. Pick 35 for Hamling is a joke.

I agree that Adams is overrated and has brain fades and can butcher the ball. I hope Hamling stays and we can get a good trade for Adams.

A premiership does not make a player more valuable though IMO when you go to trade them. It is their playing ability for the future and what pick the club they wish to go too, has available. Your point re pick 35 seems to be from an emotional point of view as 35 is spot on for Hamling.

He was injured during that game.. suffered foot sprain

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree that Adams is overrated and has brain fades and can butcher the ball. I hope Hamling stays and we can get a good trade for Adams.

A premiership does not make a player more valuable though IMO when you go to trade them. It is their playing ability for the future and what pick the club they wish to go too, has available. Your point re pick 35 seems to be from an emotional point of view as 35 is spot on for Hamling.
Premiership alone doesn't, playing a vital role does.

35 for Hamling is anything but spot on. He's a best 22 player and just played a vital role in a flag win. I don't care if he didn't play every game this year; his value to us is dictated far more accurately by his status right now.

Pick 35 is nearing the border of speculative pick range, which isn't much better than pick 60+. To trade a best 22 player with great key-defensive attributes, who was outstanding throughout the finals series is laughable to say the least.

I was watching that Sydney game you've mentioned in the lead up to the Grand Final. You're right about the brain fades. They stuck out like bees to honey.

He was injured during that game.. suffered foot sprain

Maybe so, but mistakes have always been a part of his game; some more than others. I still value Hamling ahead of him.

I remember Adams played one of the worst games I've ever seen against the Pies in the Nab cup. Was that also his foot? Or was he just making clanger after clanger because it was the Nab cup?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams was the player I was looking forward to see further improve and develop and become a rock/anchor for our backline... definately be a massive loss if he goes.. def rate him higher than hamling.. a definate Rd1 credential player..
If he goes.. Eagles Pick 12 would be the mark..

Maybe so, but mistakes have always been a part of his game; some more than others. I still value Hamling ahead of him.

I remember Adams played one of the worst games I've ever seen against the Pies in the Nab cup. Was that also his foot? Or was he just making clanger after clanger because it was the Nab cup?
His had how many games experience?

Hamling against GWS cost us multiple goals & then made up for it with a good game in the Grand Final.

Every player is prone to a poor game, especially the less experienced ones.

Hamling isn't the bee's knees. He performs well in our structure due to the zone defence he plays. He had a few decent one on one contests in the finals, certainly, but he still lost his fair share of one on one battles too. One of them against Cyril in the SF was a worry. Not only did Hamling get outmarked by the much smaller Cyril, but he failed to keep his feet and Cyril ran into the easiest of open goals.

An injured Buddy also beat him a couple of times in a couple of one on one contests.

But then I look at how Hamling smashed both Kennedy and Cameron (even breaking even in some one on one contests) and it makes me believe he will continue to improve and become a very good defender.

I would much rather we keep Hamling if we can't get something in return that is better or equal value to pick 25.

Hamling against GWS cost us multiple goals & then made up for it with a good game in the Grand Final.

Every player is prone to a poor game, especially the less experienced ones.
i wouldn't even say his game v GWS was poor. Goals have to come from somewhere, he still held structure damn well he just made 2 more errors than he did in the rest of the finals (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back