Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we have mate

We have re-signed 3 "depth" players and have two pretty important KPS(they don't grow on trees) wanting out.

So as I've said there is a week to go but to date in pretty disappointed with that.

Why wouldn't we have a nibble at Deledio?

The Hawks showed you must be proactive even if you win a flag and I hope next week changes things but going to the draft again isn't exciting me
Trouble is MD, if we get Deledio, it hits us big in the back pocket and it means we HAVE to go to the draft for the next two years. It's either that or we trade someone worth a first rounder. That'll go down like a lead balloon.

I don't think anyone is stoked with the way things lie at the moment mate but to be honest with you, there's nothing you, I or anyone else here can do about it.

Yelling out the sky is falling down isn't helping either. For what it's worth I think the Jong re-signing is a mistake, I was either way on Boyd and stoked about Clay.

Really like Hammer and The Specimen but it looks like they're gone and we'all just have to wait and see what comes back our way for them. If Adams wants out and that's come out publicly now, I can't see him staying. We need to move him on. We can't keep him in case he does a Macarthy on us.

I've got faith in Collins but he'll take time to get a tank. I've never been a Roberts fan, but we've still got Moz for now and Cordy looks a prospect.

Try and enjoy your weekend mate, if you keep stressing you'll bust ya foo foo valve.

I can't believe the panic that seems to be setting in here. Do I need to remind everyone that we are the Premiers, we have beaten EVERY team except Geelong, and I am confident that if we had to, we would have beaten them as well in finals.

Hawthorn and Geelong are trying to improve their teams because the Dogs and the Swans showed them up as second rate in finals. I don't see Sydney panicking and being involved in every trade either.

It's a pity Hammers has gone, but there are a lot more players in front of him that I would have not wanted to lose more than him. It would appear that he had been talking previously to Freo and did not alert the club, one of Bevo's non negotiables.

We will take some good picks into this draft and keep replenishing our team, our development is excellent and our coaches are some of the best in the game. Cede Nulius.

Dont trade Adams this year.

a) we need him to actually play this year - we dont have a tonne of KPD options
b) If he plays well for the whole season, both WC and Freo would bid against each other, so we get good value despite him being uncontarcted.
c) theres always a chance that if he plays well in a successful team that he will decide to re-sign anyway.

Too much time and energy dedicated to responding to nonsensical, alarmist posts. They don't warrant consideration.

We won't be able to judge trade week until after the draft. Keep your powder dry, friends.
I reckon you could go further than that and say we won't be able to judge it until the close of the 2017 season. IIRC Voss' Lions were seen as big winners out of the "crazy Vossy" trade period and well we all know how that turned out. At any rate flag has earned my trust and patience with those in charge.

Last edited:

b) If he plays well for the whole season, both WC and Freo would bid against each other, so we get good value despite him being uncontarcted.
c) theres always a chance that if he plays well in a successful team that he will decide to re-sign anyway.
This is the best post so far on this thread

Just digressing from the overbearing, attention seeking 5 year old on here, is Tomlinson still uncontracted ? Anyone from Bris Vegas? Gardiner ?
Tomlinson is contracted for next year, Gardiner is out of contract.

This thread gives lemmings a bad rap. There are many misconceptions about these little guys and most of them are insinuated in this thread. Lets show a bit of respect to these cute little rodents.

Actually out are right mate my apologies

I'm insulting lemmings comparing them to some of the things on here who soon it up if you think differently then insult you and cry foul lol

Anyway hope next week is better onwards and upwards

MD, I don't disagree with your general argument re: being aggressive. However, when I look at the list of players available this season I don't see a lot who fit our age profile and really, really improve us when thinking about what they'd cost re: salary and trade

I'd prefer to get into Deledio's ear and nab him as a free agent next year and find a guy like Hurley who absolutely and definitely improves us, then throw our excess cap space and a couple first rounders at him next year. Hawks have been targeting O'Meara and Mitchell for the whole season, targeting a big fish on short notice is hard to do. Elite talent is always hard to shake out - maybe we missed the boat this year as we didn't think we would be peaking this soon?

Of the players available this year, who would you pursue and what would you be happy to spend to get them?

Ahhhh that's my argument

Why does it have to be a player that's available ??

We want someone go and bloody get them and please don't tell me Omeara wouldn't set our midfield up as complete for the next 5 years. Bont Libba OMeara McRae Dahl Dunkley Smith etc !!

Dear god how scary would that be, but no we let the bloody Hawks make all the moves again

MD is a pissa. Its like he is trolling everyone, but he isnt. So angry, but keeps everyone on their toes.

I think J Mac has something real nice cooking that will be unveiled this coming week.Who knows what its going to be, but I'm going to dream its Rance.

Ahhhh that's my argument

Why does it have to be a player that's available ??

You think it's easy to obtain players that aren't available? You seem to think all J-Mac and co have done is camp outside Jong, Campbell and Hamiltons homes to get them signed. We would have enquired about numerous players, but other clubs aren't just going to give us great deals on their best players. You, like everyone on this board has no idea about who we've tried and are still trying to get, but you have to to weigh up what needs to be lost to pick up all these stars you seem to think we should have signed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing the range of unconnected things that the club gets blamed for. Pretty sure some people on here would reckon climate change or ISIS are the club's fault too.
yebiga is onto it :p

bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329.jpg

Are there direct flights from broome to melb? If not, they have a point.

Are we dealing with adult, professional footballers here though who get paid extremely well or are we dealing with 10-year-olds at a school camp?

Seriously, the go home stuff is crap. Hamling got the flag he never thought he would get and is taking a very, very generous offer by the Dockers on the back of a dozen or so good games.

It's fine, clearly he's had enough of playing in and contending for flags.

Ef being content with the premiership. If we are happy with that ONE them we are lost for the next 10 years.
So far I see a lot of teams improving. Melb, saints , hawks (yes they have done what is required to stay up top). Gws will be very strong. We won't compete staying as we are and if we lose both hammer and Adams. It's a bottom 8 finish next year.
Don't miss this boat of opportunity.

Happy for jong to stay as cheap depth. But we are piss weak if others go elsewhere and we get nothing for them . What's the point having Dalrymple pick rough diamonds if they leave for nothing.

We just can't stand still and roll into next year. Aren't we m sick of Prelims

We won't compete staying as we are and if we lose both hammer and Adams. It's a bottom 8 finish next year.

So if we lose 2 players that rarely if ever played together the sky will fall? What will happen if we don't get 2 injuries every week next year?

What benefit will we get from
1. Toyd maturing
2. Crameri returning
3. Libba second season back after reco
4. Bont having a pre season
5. Collins getting more game time
6. Suckling Achilles improving
7. General improvement from our 30 players under the age of 24

Or is it literally all dependant on 2 players who 8 weeks ago were seen as a promising player and a bloke about to be delisted?

Agree,hold on to him,need him to play but doubt he will be convinced to stay beyond his contract. When he nominated for the draft he was more than likely hoping for a WA team to draft him.
Anyhow hope Dogs can get adequate compensation for him.

Are we dealing with adult, professional footballers here though who get paid extremely well or are we dealing with 10-year-olds at a school camp?

Seriously, the go home stuff is crap. Hamling got the flag he never thought he would get and is taking a very, very generous offer by the Dockers on the back of a dozen or so good games.

It's fine, clearly he's had enough of playing in and contending for flags.
Agreed, the whole I want to play with my best mate Kersten is just as juvenile.

Adult professional footballers who are still human
It's not that human to be in your twenties and incapable of being away from your family for work for a while. There are kids going off to uni in different states studying for 4-5 years who manage just fine. It's not like WA is the other side of the world. It's even more pathetic when you get the ones homesick for SA. He's gone for the money, which is fair enough, but let's not pretend it's for any other sympathetic reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back