Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be disappointed if there are no changes to our support coaching staff this year! So who should get shown the door and who should we target..? Things need a change up !!

WE ARE NEVER IN THE TOP 3 DESTINATIONS

When people finally accept that in our history not one top line player has chosen outright to come to our club. NOT ONE!

I don't disagree with your argument but the one exception was probably Adrian Gallagher. who was just before my time. He's the rover in Carlton's Team of the Century and he joined us in 1973 when in his prime at 26 years of age.

I’ll be disappointed if there are no changes to our support coaching staff this year! So who should get shown the door and who should we target..? Things need a change up !!

Personally I’d love to add Morris and Sandilands to our development coaches. There’s not much else up for grabs.

Yep, they simply need to get games into Max King and if they land Ryder, Marshall will spend minutes forward. They have Membrey as a marking tall and Josh Battle is rumoured to be spending some minutes forward next year.

No doubt we asked about Bruce because he's gettable at the right price.
We didn’t ask, he came to the Dogs with his manager saying he wants in. It was totally unsolicited from our end

Oh I thought when you said in our history you meant in our history

And I’d wager 99% of footy fans had no clue who most of those players were other than Foster(was he an A grader when he came over ??)

Oh and didn’t Tony leave the as soon as he could back to the crows?

We’re those players A garde talent when they arrived at the club? I legit do not remember

But in your attempt to be smart you just helped prove my point, couldn’t give me a single name in the last 30 odd years could you?

Surprised you didn’t throw Hudson, Winmar or Eagleton at me

And I’d wager 99% of footy fans had no clue who most of those players were other than Foster(was he an A grader when he came over ??)

Oh and didn’t Tony leave the as soon as he could back to the crows?

We’re those players A garde talent when they arrived at the club? I legit do not remember

But in your attempt to be smart you just helped prove my point, couldn’t give me a single name in the last 30 odd years could you?

Surprised you didn’t throw Hudson, Winmar or Eagleton at me
I actually forgot that was pre the AFL so not sure on their pre Footscray careers though I believe they were pretty good.. but Fossie was born an A grader!!!

You're prob right about the last 30 years

Last edited:
I actually forgot that was pre the AFL so not sure on their pre Footscray careers though I believe they were pretty good.. but Fossie was born an A grader!!!

You're prob right about the last 30 years

Your a A grader Fossie , but the Fossie certainly was not when he crossed over to us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Foster came across from Fitzroy without much fanfare but once he settled into CHB for us something clicked with him and he was a gun.

Similar to Glenn Coleman who came across from Sydney with the dreaded "journeyman" tag but became an essential part of the forward line.

seems we invented Moneyball.

Does it really matter is we’re a ‘destination club’ though?

How many truly great teams have traded in key parts of their team?

Geelong of 2000s was built off draft rules of that time - Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Enright, Hawkins, etc, with only 2 semi-key players drafted in being Ottens and Mooney.

Hawks of 2010s was also built off drafting well - Buddy, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughy. 1 key player was traded in, being Burgoyne, plus maybe Gibson.

On that basis it seems better to draft well, and to chase role-player trade targets - as opposed to the big names...

Yes, Foster came across from Fitzroy without much fanfare but once he settled into CHB for us something clicked with him and he was a gun.

Similar to Glenn Coleman who came across from Sydney with the dreaded "journeyman" tag but became an essential part of the forward line.

seems we invented Moneyball.

It’s the Coleman memory that wanted us to go out and get Casboult when no one really wanted him.
Hard at it , good in the air. Galaxy was great for us .

Does it really matter is we’re a ‘destination club’ though?

How many truly great teams have traded in key parts of their team?

Geelong of 2000s was built off draft rules of that time - Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Enright, Hawkins, etc, with only 2 semi-key players drafted in being Ottens and Mooney.

Hawks of 2010s was also built off drafting well - Buddy, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughy. 1 key player was traded in, being Burgoyne, plus maybe Gibson.

On that basis it seems better to draft well, and to chase role-player trade targets - as opposed to the big names...
Gunston, McEvoy, Hale, Lake.

Bruce is still the most important target this offseason. I completely oppose it but if absolutely required Naughton can play back.

Even then I’d still give 2/3 of Trengrove, Young, Cordy first crack. Someone mentioned Schofield earlier and I don’t mind that idea either.

I want to have the most powerful KPF setup we have ever had. I think with the ease you can find defenders these days it’s vital to get the forward pillars sorted first.

Sam Frost from Melbourne? Very frustrating player but there’s a bit to like and work with. Quick and strong, but disposal is poor. We need defenders and if we miss on Keath who do we turn to.
The draft. There just aren't that many KPDs on the market. Casboult has actually played ok as a KPD but I don't think the club rates him.
I doubt we get Dougal Howard unless we overpay in every sense of the word, although it might be worth it just to have a decent spine next year.

CBF quoting various posts sorry, so to tie a few players in together:

In 1973 there was a short lived 10 year rule, where any player who had been at their club for 10 years could cross to any other club, unhindered. That’s how North nabbed Barry Davis, Wade and Rantall. We lost Bissett to the Pies, and Ditterich moved to Melbourne. The rule was only active for 9 months. Gallagher actually wanted to go to North too, but for some reason ended up with us. A 3-time premiership player, and first rover in the 72 flag side, his 1973 season for us was outstanding, statistically the best of a very good career. With another gun rover, Ray Huppatz 4xbnfs at Woodville and SA state rep, joining us in 74, those 2 were a big reason we played our first final in 13 years.
In 1975, we picked up gun recruits Featherby and Sachse (both state reps in WA and SA). Also Denis Blair around this time, and Greg Parke, a more than handy CHF, crosses from Melb in 73. We were as much a destination club as anyone else in the 73-76 period. Then financial and administrative mismanagement kicked in, and it all went to sh1t. Sachse has his injury to compound the existing problems, and in a few short years, Thorpe, Round, Featherby, Quinlan, Sandilands, Huppatz, Gallagher, Dempsey, Stoneham, Collins and other very good players crossed to other clubs, virtually all of them with several good years in them at least.
Now to the others:
Purser was a young gun ruck for East Fremantle, and we traded our right (pre-draft VFL bullsh1t system) to Gary Shaw (WA) to Pies for a bucketload of cash. With the cash we got Purser, swing man and East Freo skipper Jimmy Sewell (who was originally headed to Carlton), Ian Williams, Chris Hansen - and the Lions threw in 7-gamer Foster for bugger-all.
Royal and Wallis arrived from LaTrobe Valley zone too.
The year before in 82, we nabbed leading WA full forward Beasley, who at one stage was headed to, I think, Bombers. We were a “destination” in this era thanks to Shane O’Sullivan and “player’s coach” Bluey Hampshire.
After Malthouse took over and impressed in 84, we were again a destination for 85, nabbing Sandgropers Hardie and Daniels, both established players at home, plus Buhagiar and Maylin. After just missing the GF in 85, Magarey winner McGuiness and highly regarded KPP player Murray Rance arrived in 86 at a club again seen as a destination (although I believe Cats may have had dibs on McGuiness originally).
During these pseudo-successful eras, we were a “destination” club, and if we’d maintained momentum and played regular finals, most of those players probably would have hung around longer as well.
I agree though, that since 86, most “guns” who have come to us have come a long time after their peak - Toohey, Coleman, Aker, Welsh, Hall. All were serviceable, but certainly none came to us in their prime.
In summary, I would say in 73-76, and 83-86, we absolutely were seen by name players as a desirable destination. Since 86, though, we’ve been pretty much a destination for second tier movers, or fading stars wanting to hold on a bit longer.

(Personally, I still spend s lot of time in that 73-76 era, mainly due to the romance and nostalgia of what might have been, and if it had brought more success, I suspect the history of our club would be very different today.)

Edit: oh, MD, Purser was a gun from pretty much his first game btw. Had a strong 83, better 84 and good 85 seasons.

If we get Bruce and fail to get a decent KPD has it occurred to anyone that we might just go with our KPDs as Naughton plus 1-2 of Young, Trengove, Cordy?

I don't want to ignite the whole Naughton forward or back debate here - there's a dedicated thread for that and it's been thrashed out repeatedly. I just wanted to point out the possibility while we're considering our trade options for KPD cattle. It would allow us to re-focus our trade/draft strategy on our next priorities.

I reckon Bev's preference would still be to keep Naughton as a CHF but if no KPDs can be found and with the likelihood of getting another key forward in Jamarra UH in 2020 he might just decide it's strategically better for the team to push Naughton back. I think it's unlikely any of Schache, Bruce or JUH would make a decent KPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back