Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think he hasn’t tried before?
Tell me where this has worked before on 22 yo 5 years in the afl system?
Unless he is 120kg he won’t be getting faster.
He is as fast as he will ever be.
Rather than wishing for something we don’t have, embrace the very good player he is now.

Honestly feel like the "leg speed" discussion comes from the most naive perception of the game imaginable. Richmond aren't beating everyone because their players run faster. I don't even think it's that much to do with personnel.

The implication is that we are a slow team, yet in the second half of the season most media types had us pegged as lightning quick and that is purely because of our elite ball use. Any team will look slow when they dont have the ball and its the reason we have built a game around dominating possession and denying our opponents the ball.

Outside leg speed is nice, in fact I call for it every single draft. However, our side has more fundamental issues revolving around finding somebody to play a key defencive post that needs to be addressed.

What I do take from the game last night is that we still lack a burst mid.

dusty, danger, prestia, Kelly and Edwards can all accelerate from stoppages and it just opens the game up.

Bonti, Macrae, Dunkley and to a lesser extent Lipinski, are all great, but none of them have leg speed.

Bailey smith is going to be that man for us, so we don’t need to bring one in, but I think we need to start getting him more centre bounces in 2020.

It also makes me worry about libba.
The other player on our list who has the ability to burst out of a pack and provide powerful run and carry is Bailey Williams. A few have gone past him, but with a big off season, really feel he has the tools as a flanker/rotating mid to add a lot to our mix

People can train to get faster. Especially people who have yet to hit their physical peak.

A better take would be deciding whether or not it's worth the effort over other areas that can be worked on.
Cannot remember the name but there was a Swans mid ten or more years ago who over an off season moved from good ordinary player to elite by picking up a yard of pace. He put it down to working with a sprint coach who changed the players gait. Sorry, just cannot recall his name.

Also a fan of the way Pina plays. Suited to playing half back, he is a ball magnet with elite ability to read the play and often is involved in the one two handball receive to get offensive chains started. Reminds me allot of Kade Simpson, seriously good player but not sure he is a list fit for us.

Do you like Pina Dogfather?
Or do you prefer getting caught in the rain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im guessing its to do with having fast twitch fibers or not

Training for a faster maximum speed isn’t really worth the effort for inside players when you consider that Dunkley probably hits absolute maximum speed for a total of about 1 minute per game.

If we’re looking for Dunkley to be a more explosive Dangerfield type burst midfielder then that comes down to role and play style more than anything else, he has the attributes already.

I've changed my tune on H Bennell mates back home reckon hes doing real well now and his kid has changed him. Cheap as a rookie and can play anywhere. Bit of outside polish we lack
Can play anywhere? Mate he can barely get on the park. I'd be ropeable if we got him, we're not that desperate to fill spots on our injury list.

Well then. I guess every sprinter on the planet should just give up on getting faster if they aren't number one by the age of 22.

Not a great comparison IYF. Sprinters work hard for tiny gains which slightly improve an already impressive pace. If Dunks was seeking the same gains, he'd still be slow as *.
Sprinters are exactly that, Sprinters. Slow Dunks is just slow Dunks. That will never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back