Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some confusion about this; there was intel that we opted to list him as a Cat A rookie at some stage. So I don't think any of us really know.
Yeah I thought that Khamis was drafted onto the main rookie list rather than cat B.
Then we drafted Gardiner onto the cat B list as a mid season draftee.
I don't know if they've switched around since or whats going on to be honest.

I think we often structure up with Hunter on the slow/crowded wing and Richards or another pacy player on the fast/open wing.
More often than not we use the slow wing to either chip the ball up the ground or kick to a contest and try to get a handball chain going. Hunter is great at finding space in these chip kick chains or getting involved in handball chains which means he can rack up the possessions.

We're pretty reluctant to use the open side of the ground and it's a very hard spot to play because you have to alternate between being a target or opening up space and potentially being the next kick. Often Richards is out there fighting for hurried kicks out of defense that have just gone to space rather than to his advantage. If we use it on a switch then it's usually our high defenders running the ball out so he has to push higher up the ground to create space for them and often the ball is then kicked to a midfielder who is cutting across from the other side of the ground.

His contested possession rate is almost 50% which is very high for a winger/outside mid. Hunter is about 25%.

Richards is often one out fighting to get a ball out of bounds or get a ball up to stop an opposition repeat entry which is thankless statless work but is valuable to the team.

Another thing that I found interesting is that Richards average AFL player rating points for this year is higher that Brad Hill's who most were dreaming about adding to the wing last off season. I know these player measurement metrics are always going to have flaws but these ratings take into account the value of a players involvements rather than basing it off stats. The full explanation is below.

Every time a player is involved in a passage of play he will have the chance to accrue points. But rather than his score being a simple tally of his possessions, marks, tackles, hit-outs, free-kicks and scores, his performance will be measured using a system called Equity Ratings. The system determines where and how a player influences a contest and whether the player's effort then results in a positive result for his team. Equity Ratings includes what coaches love to describe as "pressure acts". As a result, players are rewarded for interrupting opposition passages of play as well as setting up scores for their own team.

Players who consistently produce positive contributions are rewarded more highly than players with a high volume of stats. As an example, a 20 disposal game by Cyril Rioli where 17 disposals are positive and only one is negative can have the same impact as a 40 disposal game by Dane Swan where 25 are positive and nine are negative.
I haven't analysed Richards game as closely as you have, but I have noticed him battling hard and working out how to win or 50/50 most contested situations. You don't see him beaten outright too often.
Vandermeer shows some of the same traits. Just a good game sense and the athleticism to compete.

North are going to be in massive trouble.

A bottom two team losing 3-4 top 22 blokes (Brown, Higgins, Polec, another couple will undoubtedly walk out when they see what they're in for the next few seasons), another 11 delisted ... it's going to get bloody ugly.

You desperately need some quality long term clubmen/mature guys around to show the way when rebuilding - we had Grant, West, Johnson, Smith and Darcy for 2002-2004, Morris, Boyd, Cross, Minson and Murphy for 2012-2014 - these older heads setting standards are critical (I've ommitted Nathan Brown and Griffen, you can't force experienced players to stay).

Yeah, they still had currency, but if we offloaded a lot of those guys for a few draft picks and non-A grade outsiders on way over the odds contracts, IMO we possibly never have got back up.

North are going to be in massive trouble.

A bottom two team losing 3-4 top 22 blokes (Brown, Higgins, Polec, another couple will undoubtedly walk out when they see what they're in for the next few seasons), another 11 delisted ... it's going to get bloody ugly.

You desperately need some quality long term clubmen/mature guys around to show the way when rebuilding - we had Grant, West, Johnson, Smith and Darcy for 2002-2004, Morris, Boyd, Cross, Minson and Murphy for 2012-2014 - these older heads setting standards are critical (I've ommitted Nathan Brown and Griffen, you can't force experienced players to stay).

Yeah, they still had currency, but if we offloaded a lot of those guys for a few draft picks and non-A grade outsiders on way over the odds contracts, IMO we possibly never have got back up.
I don't think North have anywhere near the young talent we had, but remember in 2014 we finshed 5th last and lost 4 best 22 players (Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Gia) plus 8 others. We had a few older blokes stick around like Boyd, Murphy, Minson and Morris, which I suppose equates to Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldy and Tarrant.

Makes me a little nervous as to who they will be throwing all their money at.
They have to pay someone.
They've done this in recent years to no avail. Shooting for the stars and ending up face down in the gutter with players that they've just de-listed like Pittard or aren't standing in the way of leaving like Polec.

Unless they can manage to lure one or more of these stars, I can see a long period of over paying mid-range journeymen to paper over the cracks whilst they they hit the draft and hope that some of their promising youngsters don't get chewed up and spat out or worse picked off by other clubs with the promise of success. They get this wrong and they could be on the same cycle of being a talent farm for others that The Gold Coast are still struggling to shrug off. It's a risky strategy for a club with as precarious a situation as North have. I wish them well.

North have a loyal set of core supporters but if this recession really bites you'd wonder what their crowd numbers will be like at 3:20 on Sunday arvo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throw everything at Brennan cox

22 years old
195cm
Great kid
Forward or back
Out of contract

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was actually wondering whether we would have a look at Cedric Cox this off-season.
He seems to have slipped behind Ah Chee and Coleman in the forward pecking order (not to mention Cameron) and we were apparently keen in his draft year.

I don't think North have anywhere near the young talent we had, but remember in 2014 we finshed 5th last and lost 4 best 22 players (Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Gia) plus 8 others. We had a few older blokes stick around like Boyd, Murphy, Minson and Morris, which I suppose equates to Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldy and Tarrant.
They don't have the elite youth yet, but will get plenty via the draft over the next 2-3 years. But they're going to turnover at least 14, and possibly up to 16-17 of their list this year - IMO that's utter madness.

Add another 5-6 retirements/trades/delistings next year and 5-6 again the year after, and that's 25-30 players out the door over the next 24 months - they'll undoubtedly bring in a few new players on massive over the odds contracts, but otherwise, IMO those elite young draftees are going to be walking into an utter shambles.

Some form of list consistency/stability and a group of loyal foot soldiers is critical, even if they're not all great players. This level of change is asking for massive trouble.

Norf could have 14 players leave this off season
Has to be close to the blues record
There's another half a dozen outside of those 14 confirmed outs that are out of contract.

With how things are playing out, even some contracted blokes are no guarantee to be there next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back