Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re better off persisting with someone who’s gifted athletically like Smith than players who’ve never shown much at Afl level like Webb. I’ve never understood how clubs can be so unsure as to whether to resign best 22 players from the previous season such as Dickson or Nathan Brown at St Kilda, when there’s a number of players who are almost no chance of making it. Porter is the obvious one on the list at the moment and in recent years with the likes of Honeychurch and Cordy.

One could have said the exact same thing about Bailey Dale halfway through this year.

The broken neck robbed him of any chance of developing a career. It took over a year from him, took all his confidence. We simply cant know if he would have picked up - he had issues at the time but they werent incapable of being turned around.

He was also a victim of our surfeit of half-back flankers. That was his best position but he had to try and become a mid, wing, HFF to keep his spot on the list.

Once again, if clubs are bidding for a player it means that player is not a free agent. So that bit wouldn't work.

The essence of a free agent is that the agent (the player) gets to choose where he wants to play, assuming the club of choice will have him and has room on its list and under its TPP cap.
I know it wouldn’t be free agency but at the moment it’s selective free agency. Makes little sense a player might cost a club two first rounders one year and nothing the next, while the other clubs get pushed down the order.

Don’t mind giving players a guaranteed path to their new club but I think the compo should come from the club.

I know it wouldn’t be free agency but at the moment it’s selective free agency. Makes little sense a player might cost a club two first rounders one year and nothing the next, while the other clubs get pushed down the order.

Don’t mind giving players a guaranteed path to their new club but I think the compo should come from the club.
Agree 100%. I fear it needs somebody smarter than the AFL to solve it.

Part 2: and if by our current side you mean the side that got thrashed in the 2019 Elimination Final, well, there were so many poor performances, he could take any one of a number of spots if there had been a "repecharge" game the next week.

There would have still been a few ahead of Roarke mate. Let it go he’s played 1 half decent game in his whole time at the club. He’s not up to it and should be delisted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see him kick when he can't get the ball though.
Hard to get the ball when you get played out.of position in a dysfunctional fwd line with butchers kicking it to you. Even with that got a couple of goals in his second last game and 12 disposals stuck in a pocket. Tori Dickson gets those numbers and he is lauded as a legend. Webb would just get dropped.

Interesting to see if anyone picks him up. Neck makes it unlikely. Shame. Truly elite kick.

I just watched a replay of the first half Vs Essendon.

I think this was a great example of the natural position for our 2019 talls in Naughton, Schache and Trengove.

There were many passages of play where Naughton best work was in the high Half forward position.

Schache then worked deep into the wings for that link up tall coming from defense. His field kicking was really in show in this game.

Then you had Trengove in the deep full back role.

It was very clear that we needed a Deep tall full forward.

I’m so so excited about the addition of Bruce and Keath.

To expand on this, our game plan which involves quick hands ensures that we stretch oppositions structures. As in we part the seas (opposition)

When we have the ball in hand with the quick ‘shape’ play around the congestion, it naturally creates separation in our lines.

This separation in players works wonders for our talls.

I see our game plan working wonders for our 2020 tall line up.

Bruce, Naughton and Scahche will have beautiful representation from the centre wing right through to the goal square.

Bring on 2020.

Last edited:
Callan Ward to return to the dogs. Would you want him?

I know it’s hard to find him a position BUT he is close to elite and might not be that expensive.

Once again, if clubs are bidding for a player it means that player is not a free agent. So that bit wouldn't work.

The essence of a free agent is that the agent (the player) gets to choose where he wants to play, assuming the club of choice will have him and has room on its list and under its TPP cap.
Sadly DW they went from a situation where the clubs had to much power over the players, to the exact opposite, when what the competition needed was to find an equitable middle ground. So they resolved one problem, by creating another one. As usual the Commission is so enraptured with following anything and everything US sports do they are easily sold on dumb ideas, and this way of loosening club control by going way to far is an absolute doozy. For mine it is time the Commission was disbanded and replaced by a genuinely representative body, and the AFLPA was significantly reigned in.

What makes you think Roberts would’ve been a good fwd at AFL level? I’m genuinely interested as I don’t see any of his game that would translate well.
For starters CB if you saw his u/18 GF, his side was in trouble in the first half, till he was moved forward, where he won the GF off his own boot. In a final season game at VFL a few years back he went forward late, and kicked a clutch bomb after the siren to get us into the finals. I'm fully aware of his deficiencies, but those are a far bigger problem for a backman [ lack of pace and body strength]. Look back over the club's long term history, few of our best key forward [BBB excepted] have needed to be beasts. Fletch has a long and often accurate kick, and can mark, and I'm still convinced if he was given decent supply, and a F role on the second or third tall defender, he had the tools to be quite effective. And just as we have had a problem down back for key defenders, till now recently we have had the same problem up forward. He would probably never been a world beater, but I'm confident he would have had a better career than he was allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back