Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bailey Smith requested a trade to Hawthorn in 11 months time from now, would that make him more despised than Nathan Brown?
Brown gave 7 years to the club, and left after we snagged a spoon. I'd imagine Smith leaving would leave a worse taste in our mouths, but we can't exactly voice our disappointment when we took Schache in similar fashion, and that was arguably worse since Schache was contracted

Brown gave 7 years to the club, and left after we snagged a spoon. I'd imagine Smith leaving would leave a worse taste in our mouths, but we can't exactly voice our disappointment when we took Schache in similar fashion, and that was arguably worse since Schache was contracted
We got a bunch of good draft picks when Brown left, that we entirely pissed into the wind. Had we made the most of those picks, we probably wouldn't be as bitter about Brown's departure.

Schache wanted out of Brions and would have gone to other Vic clubs.

Smith nominating a single club in the same city as us is way worse.

I don’t see how the Hawks get the trade done. It would take two first round picks and to do that, they won’t have any first round picks for a full four year cycle. AFL wouldn’t sign of on it, unless they traded out a good player for a first round pick.

Schache wanted out of Brions and would have gone to other Vic clubs.

Smith nominating a single club in the same city as us is way worse.

I don’t see how the Hawks get the trade done. It would take two first round picks and to do that, they won’t have any first round picks for a full four year cycle. AFL wouldn’t sign of on it, unless they traded out a good player for a first round pick.
I was thinking about this. Isn't the rule you have to use two first rounders in 4 years? This year they have 11, but will a matched bid on Maginness count as a first rounder too?

I was thinking about this. Isn't the rule you have to use two first rounders in 4 years? This year they have 11, but will a matched bid on Maginness count as a first rounder too?
I believe it does count. If the Hawks wanted Smith though, there's no way they could provide enough in the way of picks. They'd need to put up some serious talent that we'd actually be interested in - I'm talking guys like Mitch Lewis, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick, etc. Would suck if Smith didn't re-sign and requested a trade, since it removes a lot of our bargaining power though..

Not sure why we are worried. It is very very rare a player of his talent and age goes from one vic club to another purely based on who he barracked for as a kid. Can’t even name any previous examples. Different story if he was interstate.
I'm not worried, but it's still a bit strange he hasn't re-signed yet. Then you take into account he allegedly told the Gold Coast not to draft him so he could stay in Victoria, and his kick-to-kick with Tom Mitchell in Lorne...

In the 2011 draft, didn't that Elliott Kavanagh tell clubs he will refuse to play unless Essendon drafts him?

We got a bunch of good draft picks when Brown left, that we entirely pissed into the wind. Had we made the most of those picks, we probably wouldn't be as bitter about Brown's departure.
You're not wrong.

Lost Brown for Picks 6 + 20.
Gave away Pick 6 to bring in Lochlan Veale (lol) and game the system to force Jade Rawlings to end up at our club despite him not wanting to come. Veale didn't even play a single game, while Rawlings never even attempted to contribute to the club, and ended up being traded out 2 years later thanks to causing trouble with others at the club.
Pick 20 for Peter Street was worth it though

Also traded Pick 19 for Steven Koops (lol), which ended up being used to draft David Mundy...

Really the only positive to come out of that year was the priority pick to draft Cooney, plus Street as a fair trade

I'm not worried, but it's still a bit strange he hasn't re-signed yet. Then you take into account he allegedly told the Gold Coast not to draft him so he could stay in Victoria, and his kick-to-kick with Tom Mitchell in Lorne...

In the 2011 draft, didn't that Elliott Kavanagh tell clubs he will refuse to play unless Essendon drafts him?
Wingard tanked his interviews with the non-SA clubs too. Not the greatest indication of attitude, but hopefully all the talk about Smith is unwarranted

Rawlings never even attempted to contribute to the club, and ended up being traded out 2 years later thanks to causing trouble with others at the club

This is just plain wrong. To Rawlings credit when he first joined, he put it all behind him, and was on an early ep of “The Footy Show” and was very positive, spoke well and handled the expected ribbing from the “hosts” by repeatedly answering positively about the club. He was also exceedingly approachable at training, etc.
It didn’t work out, but considering how we got him, he did his best to represent the club onfield and off - obviously Eade wasn’t a fan when appointed 12 months later, and that’s where he and the club drifted apart.

This is just plain wrong. To Rawlings credit when he first joined, he put it all behind him, and was on an early ep of “The Footy Show” and was very positive, spoke well and handled the expected ribbing from the “hosts” by repeatedly answering positively about the club. He was also exceedingly approachable at training, etc.
It didn’t work out, but considering how we got him, he did his best to represent the club onfield and off - obviously Eade wasn’t a fan when appointed 12 months later, and that’s where he and the club drifted apart.

Didn’t Rawlings kick 7.5 on debut ???

Or were those just lucky not caring kicks ???

Maybe it's an exaggeration, but I never felt Rawlings' heart was in it. He made it pretty clear he didn't want to come, and ended up being moved on within 2 years thanks to "internal disputes". I liked him at the time, but looking back on it leaves a sour taste in my mouth thanks to what we gave up to bring him in, and how little we got in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it's an exaggeration, but I never felt Rawlings' heart was in it. He made it pretty clear he didn't want to come, and ended up being moved on within 2 years thanks to "internal disputes". I liked him at the time, but looking back on it leaves a sour taste in my mouth thanks to what we gave up to bring him in, and how little we got in return.

Couldn’t blame him if he wasn’t keen to come - imagine a player these days being gamed by 2 clubs and sent to a club he didn’t want to go to. The fault was with the coach at the time and recruiters. What “internal disputes”? He was moved on because Eade didn’t rate him, and Eade was initially involved in list management and saw the Rawlings contract as too much for a player who struggled with injury after his initial successes with us.

I was agreeing with you and highlighted something, not taking a shot at you

Fair enough, it seemed you were, just looked out of context to my post.

That first game, 12 shots at goal and a heap of contested marks, seemed to justify the hype and the bold move to secure him. Then round 2 or 3, he kicked 3.7, and it was all downhill from there. He was a good mark, average kick, but I reckon what we should have been wary of was his knees, which is ultimately what finished his career.

Couldn’t blame him if he wasn’t keen to come - imagine a player these days being gamed by 2 clubs and sent to a club he didn’t want to go to. The fault was with the coach at the time and recruiters. What “internal disputes”? He was moved on because Eade didn’t rate him, and Eade was initially involved in list management and saw the Rawlings contract as too much for a player who struggled with injury after his initial successes with us.
There were rumours of him getting into some poor relationships with some players - not Stringer level, more like Libba, Biggs, Redpath, Dahlhaus sort of thing. Supposedly caused some trouble behind the scenes, but was never actually "confirmed"

There were rumours of him getting into some poor relationships with some players - not Stringer level, more like Libba, Biggs, Redpath, Dahlhaus sort of thing. Supposedly caused some trouble behind the scenes, but was never actually "confirmed"

Absolute garbage

Rawlings didn’t want to be at the Dogs but everyone that dealt with him(especially in the twos) said he was nothing but professional.

didn’t like the way he basically phoned it in with us but what you said above is blatant bullish!t sorry

Absolute garbage

Rawlings didn’t want to be at the Dogs but everyone that dealt with him(especially in the twos) said he was nothing but professional.

didn’t like the way he basically phoned it in with us but what you said above is blatant bullish!t sorry
Sorry, didn't realise you worked at the club during that period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back