Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely hope we keep him, but concerned that he'll be looking elsewhere.

Wont get anywhere near his value in a trade, and the exact type of player that could come back to bite us if let go.

And for someone who had never played the position before, I thought he showed some strong signs playing ruck at VFL last year.
Couldn't agree more. If we lose him it'll be to port for a pick in the 40-50s. They will settle him into a role in defence where he will gain consistency from being able to develop in one position and be a regular member of the 22.

I'd personally just pull the trigger on Pruess now. If you think he to dramatically impedes our mobility around then ground, then only one KPF (Naughton) should be selected alongside English.

Enough's enough. If we can't get anyone else then just do it.

As I've stated previously, I haven't seen enough of him, but the feedback to my post asking about him was all fairly negative. Sounds like he wouldn't be a guaranteed best-22 (especially given how's he's struggled to get regular games over several years), so he is likely to end up running around in the twos with Sweet. If, as you say, he impedes our mobility, than there would be no way Bevo plays him (e.g. Minson, Campbell).

I don't know if any are obtainable, but ideally I think we need a mobile ruckman who can play #1, allowing English to play forward/backup ruck, and still has quite a few years left, not a stop-gap older guy. Or at least someone who can step up to play as a mobile #1 ruck.

Using my criteria (as I believe English is not a genuine ruckman, nor will ever be, and is better for him and us playing predominantly forward):
Preuss - no (mobility doesn't suit our game style)
Goldstein - no (too old)
McEvoy - no (too old)
Nankervis - yes (highly unlikely to be available)
Other options?

I don't know enough about other young rucks or understudies out there, or even guys from VFL/WAFL/etc with potential. If we could snag a Dean Cox/Ben Hudson slightly mature age type, that would be a good option as well.

Failing that, maybe we do look at a Goldstein/McEvoy while we identify a replacement #1 ruck to develop, and still move English to say, 70-30 forward-ruck split.

(I also asked a North mate, for some perspective, and he reckons Preuss does not suit our game style/plan/coach at all. In fact, he said we would do better with Tom Campbell!)

Genuinely hope we keep him, but concerned that he'll be looking elsewhere.

Wont get anywhere near his value in a trade, and the exact type of player that could come back to bite us if let go.

Going forward, looking for players that can chop out in the ruck, for someone who had never played the position before I thought he showed some strong signs playing ruck at VFL level last year.

The club made the call to gift games to Gardner and Roarke, there is no way Lewis Young or Bailey Dale would want to hang around and watch it happen again in 2021. Both would be actively looking elsewhere, as they should.

I meant more so in his ability (or lack of) to cover the ground and effect play other then In hit outs

Yeah I certainly see the lack of mobility.

However he could be so useful in being extremely physical with oppo ruckman. Opposition rucks would be far more tired grappling with Pruess all day than English.

Preuss, Goldy, McEvoy, Coleman-Jones, Nankervis, Cox,

One of them has to be on our list come 2021.

Going to do some research into opposition ruck stocks. Eagles have a fair bit of depth. Williams struggles to get a game. Maybe Hickey if he was free. Ditto Vardy who is a premiership ruck.

Last edited:

However he could be so useful in being extremely physical with oppo ruckman. Opposition rucks would be far more tired grappling with Pruess all day than English.

If we wanted preuss should've just kept Campbell. They're pretty much the same player imo. Bevo would not rate preuss at all

Not even sure why people are worrying about Hunter. The Carlton rumours board is notorious for trolls coming in posing as "ITKs" and giving off questionable or old mail as if it's credible. I seriously think I could achieve ITK status on their board if I started a new account and put in the effort, purely off making up the right kind of sh*t.

They're obviously relying on the old news that Caro invented for attention, and Hunter addressed that the very next game by grabbing at his jumper when he kicked a goal. He's not going anywhere
Well, yes and no...anyone whose been on our board for a while knows the 2, maybe 3 that get good intel. This time of year brings an influx of newbies who don't really know who's who, and little rumours grow legs.

The Hunter rumour isn't from one of those two or three...so Frankie says relax.

Last edited:
Seriously just need to stay on coarse the only collateral we should consider trading is picks.

No way in the world should we trade a star player for draft picks in what will be the most unpredictable draft of all time, ageing players or b grade players in positions of need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of thumbs down and angry emojis today. Gotta love a democracy. Look at the bright side - this time next year, we'll be able to reflect on how Bevo has wasted Jamara's first year, and another year of Bont/Macrae/Dunkley/Hunter/Naughton by losing an elim after the siren to 17th placed North played on the runway at Alice Springs airport. :D

Couldn't agree more. If we lose him it'll be to port for a pick in the 40-50s. They will settle him into a role in defence where he will gain consistency from being able to develop in one position and be a regular member of the 22.
Agree with that.

I didn't think he performed badly towards the end of last year at all, was expecting him to cement his spot this season.

Even if he didn't 100% establish himself, would have loved to have seen how he would have went performed/developed with the addition of Keath alongside him for at least a few games this season.

His reading of the play and intercept marking is bordering on A-Grade. Has issues to improve on, but what 21yr old key defender doesn't.
The club made the call to gift games to Gardner and Roarke, there is no way Lewis Young or Bailey Dale would want to hang around and watch it happen again in 2021. Both would be actively looking elsewhere, as they should.
There were seemingly lesser talented players getting games ahead of Bailey Williams too (when he looked a better option), for extended periods. Maybe the hunger to get better and force his way into the 22 and development at the next level down was good for him - I dunno.

He chose to hang around and fight, and could possibly be pushing to be in the AA squad next little while. But if he had walked to another club and they were bearing that fruit, it would have been an utter disaster.

Hoping Lewis makes the same choice as Williams and has the pre-season of his life to make his spot in the 22 an absolute no brainer.

Going to do some research into opposition ruck stocks. Eagles have a fair bit of depth. Williams struggles to get a game. Maybe Hickey if he was free. Ditto Vardy who is a premiership ruck.
I've already had a bit of a go at this. page349, post No. 8703

Think its kinda funny how Jon Ralph is suggesting we should go after Daniel Talia

Ahh my dude
That aint a good idea

Well if everyone could grow up and put the bad blood in the past..... then Talia is exactly the player we would want.

Total gun #1 kpd, just turned 29 and won’t cost too much, and at a club trying to regenerate their list and open to trades.

Might be worth looking for clean users if the ball. People knock Hunter , and yes most are uncontested, but he’s one of few we have averaging over 70%. At 77% is a fine effort given the gut running he does. Some of our “Elite” such as the Bont average 66%.

Well if everyone could grow up and put the bad blood in the past..... then Talia is exactly the player we would want.

Total gun #1 kpd, just turned 29 and won’t cost too much, and at a club trying to regenerate their list and open to trades.

Somehow I don't think they are willing to forgive and forget.

How would you all feel about if dogs pick up Nathan Jones for a year? He'll probably be still decent as a flanker kicking into the forward line and will provide leadership.
Oh, hell no. Would be an awful recruit

Been cooked for 2 years and even at his best, he doesn’t fill a single need that we currently require.

How would you all feel about if dogs pick up Nathan Jones for a year? He'll probably be still decent as a flanker kicking into the forward line and will provide leadership.

I am done with flankers.

so no from me

A 21 year old KPP who is still developing? Hell no. Keep.
Lewis Young is the one we should be developing to eventually play on the Kings, McKays, Hipwoods etc. He's the right height compared to our other defenders, just needs to be injected with high levels of campaigner. Can't be getting thrashed by Carlton again next season, or any other team with multiple tall forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back