Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's quite possibly the furthest removed from ever playing a game of AFL I've ever seen at VFL level, and I've seen "Bambi on ice if Bambi also had no idea where he was on the ice" written about him. People really put no thought or research or asking questions about every single name that gets delisted, do they?
[/QUOT
Cat B I asked did I not? Speculative spot and if AFL allowed 2 years due to COVID interruptions it isn’t clogging anything up.

If Timmy had a really strong back up and Bruce wasn’t injured or Jamarra had another year or two under his belt I’d probably be happy with him number one ruck, taking the hit in the middle but gaining more around the ground than most other rucks and a strong forward line.

Unfortunately Schache back up ruck, Naughty, Schache and Jamarra forward that doesn’t scream premiership contending team tbh

I find it amazing that 12 months ago Josh Bruce was being ridiculed and a bit of a whipping boy. He gets a great preseason in and is one of our most important players and probably his most consistent year. This happened at the age of 28 going on 29.
We then have English and Sweet at 24 and 23 respectively and many can’t see room for improvement?
🤔

Would love Sweet to spend an afternoon chatting with Bruce about how he turned himself around. Bruce ditched the beers and did a lot of hard training, and had a fantastic year. Could be great inspiration, and Bruce loves to help out the younger blokes.

If Timmy had a really strong back up and Bruce wasn’t injured or Jamarra had another year or two under his belt I’d probably be happy with him number one ruck, taking the hit in the middle but gaining more around the ground than most other rucks and a strong forward line.

Unfortunately Schache back up ruck, Naughty, Schache and Jamarra forward that doesn’t scream premiership contending team tbh
Except we are a premiership contending team..

[
Cat B I asked did I not? Speculative spot and if AFL allowed 2 years due to COVID interruptions it isn’t clogging anything up.
He's so far removed from being anywhere near AFL level that it's pointless to consider even making him a Cat B player.

He averaged 5 hitouts and scored 1.2 in 9 VFL games this year as a ruck/forward despite playing for a good VFL team in Casey, so by virtue of being tall and vaguely within 40m of goal it's incredible he didn't kick more in winning teams. This is after he'd spent more than 3 years on Melbourne's list. He's so far removed from being anywhere near AFL level, with the expectation that it's ridiculous to even be talking about it.

With English first ruck, Schache back up and Jamarra 2nd tall forward did we? Must have watched a different game
Guess who played forward, and spent the most and 2nd most time in the ruck in our win over Melbourne?

Are people intentionally missing the point people are making about our rucks?

The concern isn't around the quality. It's the complete lack of depth. We have 3 rucks on our list, and one of them will be lucky to get to 10 games next year. One injury to English or Sweet could be disastrous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concern isn't around the quality. It's the complete lack of depth. We have 3 rucks on our list, and one of them will be lucky to get to 10 games next year. One injury to English or Sweet could be disastrous
Have you looked at the depth of other clubs?

Like genuinely, go look. Most clubs have three rucks. I wouldn’t have called the ruck situation at GWS this year a disaster and they’re much further behind in that area than we will be next year.

On the other hand, how many teams in the competition have three rucks that all played multiple games as their team's first ruck last year like we did? It would be less than half in the league I would suggest.

Oh so now you’re the one able to see the future. Bevo fill you in on the game plan for next year, did he?
Re-read the post bruz, I literally said I can’t see us being a premiership contending team with English first ruck, Schache back up and Jamarra/Naughty forward. Which is one of the very few options we have available to us. You’re the one whose come in for no reason aggressively pointing out we are a premiership contending team

I find it amazing that 12 months ago Josh Bruce was being ridiculed and a bit of a whipping boy. He gets a great preseason in and is one of our most important players and probably his most consistent year. This happened at the age of 28 going on 29.
We then have English and Sweet at 24 and 23 respectively and many can’t see room for improvement?
🤔
true,

with English its his timidity which is the problem, which often cant be taught and doesnt often develop over time

Re-read the post bruz, I literally said I can’t see us being a premiership contending team with English first ruck, Schache back up and Jamarra/Naughty forward. Which is one of the very few options we have available to us. You’re the one whose come in for no reason aggressively pointing out we are a premiership contending team
But it’s a pointless post because that is unlikely to be the set up. Power has said we will be backing in Sweet and English.

I don't necessarily agree but that's not actually my argument.

My point is that we already have a small excess of points to match a Darcy bid. Getting an even bigger points excess in the 2021 draft will just preserve our picks in the 40s/50s. If the desire is to have a extra meaningful pick in 2021 (i.e. not just at the very end of the draft) then we are likely better served downgrading pick #23 to one later pick in 2021 (while still maintaining just enough points to match Darcy) and taking the premium as a 2022 pick. Post matching Darcy we then flip that newly received 2022 pick back in to the 2021 draft (with a different team) and will likely be able to get our hands on something in the 30s rather than maintaining picks in the 40s.
pick in the 30's or 40's is not really going to make too much difference really when all the accumulated picks by the doggies/pies get wiped off

personally im really liking where richmond sits with our #38 & #40 to be able to trade them on draft night

How many players do you guys believe the Dogs will select after Darcy

pick in the 30's or 40's is not really going to make too much difference really when all the accumulated picks by the doggies/pies get wiped off

personally im really liking where richmond sits with our #38 & #40 to be able to trade them on draft night

How many players do you guys believe the Dogs will select after Darcy
We need to have the list spots open to use the value of the points, and we're struggling to understand how we even have the more than 3 list spots open despite now having 5 picks worth points, with no announcement that Martin has been moved to the rookie list and Roarke, Sweet and Gardner have all signed two year deals off the rookie list - we can move picks around for more points but I doubt we can pick split to make use of points.

But it’s a pointless post because that is unlikely to be the set up. Power has said we will be backing in Sweet and English.
It’s actually a very real possibility when Martin is unavailable and Sweets dropped, not sure what we’ve done over the past few years to suggest this isn’t an option in Bevs mind. Even if it’s not our first choice.

I though Lynch was our target. It’s was what I was led to believe by a scout from another team. He said he had seen us recording away from play footage of his work rate and positioning. His info is usually pretty good and I was surprised that Lynch didn’t nominate us during trade week.
As you said, he went for very little trade currency and personally I would have made that trade.
We must not have been interested…. Which begs the question who we were targeting and why did that effort fall through.
Seems like the Soldo guess might have been on the money. With Chol and CCJ moving on it leaves the Tigers a bit shallow in the ruck department. And pushed up his value to the Tigers, it would seem a reasonable fit with the clues given

Seems like the Soldo guess might have been on the money. With Chol and CCJ moving on it leaves the Tigers a bit shallow in the ruck department. And pushed up his value to the Tigers, it would seem a reasonable fit with the clues given
Yeah I’ve thought it was Soldo from the start since we got those clues, would have made the most sense.

Real shame if true, geez I’d be ecstatic going into the year with Soldo/English first choice combo right now

It’s actually a very real possibility when Martin is unavailable and Sweets dropped, not sure what we’ve done over the past few years to suggest this isn’t an option in Bevs mind. Even if it’s not our first choice.
Except you're not factoring in the natural progression and growth of players. Jordan Sweet played his debut game this year and is now being backed in by our list manager. He will be 24 before the season starts so is at a nice age for a ruckman. Martin and English have played whenever they are deemed fit and available so it isn't like we aren't willing to play rucks. We may end up bringing in another as well.

Have you looked at the depth of other clubs?

Like genuinely, go look. Most clubs have three rucks. I wouldn’t have called the ruck situation at GWS this year a disaster and they’re much further behind in that area than we will be next year.
GWS had Mumford, Preuss, Briggs and Flynn. That's 4 genuine rucks. Also Keeffe if you count him. Which other teams are as thin as we are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back