Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would Tarryn Thomas cost if he keeps this up? Has been fine before this season and there's clearly a shocking culture there. Would be the perfect medium for our forward line

If we didn't have such gaping CHB/FB/2nd Ruck shaped holes - I'd love to try and get him - but he just isnt what we need right now...

he'll go somewhere else and be great for them....

Sharkey66 in another thread pointed out that Schache is 11 days older than English

I had never notice it and it seemed to me Schache has been around for a lot longer.

What we do with Schache and what he does at season end reg contract will be interesting given his only 24.

Sharkey66 in another thread pointed out that Schache is 11 days older than English

I had never notice it and it seemed to me Schache has been around for a lot longer.

What we do with Schache and what he does at season end reg contract will be interesting given his only 24.

English was drafted at 19, so Schache's got one more year in the system.

Cue norf screeching for a priority pick.

Nup. Can’t have that. I think their list is in an ok spot in terms of beginning a rebuild. They are just poorly coached and the players aren’t buying in (from what I can see).

Tarryn Thomas has all the talent in the world. Had 3 disposals today and looked completely disinterested.

This isn’t priority pick worthy. Imo.

Nup. Can’t have that. I think their list is in an ok spot in terms of beginning a rebuild. They are just poorly coached and the players aren’t buying in (from what I can see).

Tarryn Thomas has all the talent in the world. Had 3 disposals today and looked completely disinterested.

This isn’t priority pick worthy. Imo.
I think a close family member had died, he shouldn’t have played really.

Billy Frampton worth a look?

What would Tarryn Thomas cost if he keeps this up? Has been fine before this season and there's clearly a shocking culture there. Would be the perfect medium for our forward line

Some probably still do, but remember when Norf were saying Thomas was Bette than Bont all because he sold him a candy once in a game about 5 years ago? Good times.

Don’t know much about someone passing away, but he’s had a few injuries and just seems very uninterested. Norf are gonna struggle for a while as they keep getting belted every week.

I would be happy with a two year deal for Schache. I’m assuming that the long term plan for the fwd line is Naughts/Marra/Darcy fwd/2nd ruck (Tim 1st ruck/resting fwd). Darcy may end up in the backline but I feel that he’s pretty likely to end up fwd/ruck.

However that fwd line is probably a couple of years away from being our consistent first choice - leaves two years to have Bruce and Schache as options. Then if Tim leaves in FA, Darcy slots in to his role, and we could give Schache another deal to stay forward.

He has his issues but his time playing ruck in the vfl seems to have hardened him up some. His skills as a forward and link up player are pretty handy. I also wouldn’t be completely shocked if he got a game in the backline over Gardner or TOB when Bruce is available. Not because he’s a gun but because those two have ranged from dreadful to ok this year, we just don’t have any other options.

He’s unlikely to ever be a monster that can kick 6-7 in a game but he knows his role. I think our forward line has functioned quite well with him in it - 2019, 2021 finals series, last couple of games. That’s just gut feel, no stats. Could be wrong.

However we know Bev really gets hot and cold (Mostly cold) with Schache, and for a weaker team he would probably be playing each week. So wouldn’t be surprised if it was a bit similar to the Lipinski situation.

Schache is excellent depth to have for the right price. Unfortunately when he his an off a game it tends to be an absolute mare.

This is only my opinion.

I think Schache will look elsewhere to a club that gives him clarity of role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is only my opinion.

I think Schache will look elsewhere to a club that gives him clarity of role.

Wouldn’t be upset to be honest. It is what it is. He’s just a depth player. The difference between his best and worst is massive. Yes it’s obviously important to keep depth players but he’s easily replaceable.

In saying that, the constant moving of the magnets for some guys is very frustrating.

Ah my bad, apologies then!

Thomas has looked disinterested all year and had to be dropped before this. Certainly doesn't help losing a family member though.

This is a pretty immature response from him below and probably reflects where he's at. I would be pretty disappointed if I was a North fan, doesn't seem to have any real pride for the jumper.

We don't need to take the risk, it sounds like he's on pretty decent coin.

Schache as the highest tall in our setup works really really well. He has become more consistent in his marking and then his kicking forward is still a huge strength.

I see him as a must keep in this role. He commands a taller defender, which brings that player out of our forward 50.

Moving forward, JUH isn’t suited to this role. Neither is Bruce. Unless we want Naughton to play this role, then we are back to using Hannan or a small

IF JUH, Bruce and Schache are all available & playing well, I would consider moving Naughton to CHB. Not ideal, as he is the best player BUT we have a huge hole there.

I have been against Naughton to CHB for a long time. But IF we have a working forward line with Scahche, Bruce & JUH, then it’s something we could consider.

Schache as the highest tall in our setup works really really well. He has become more consistent in his marking and then his kicking forward is still a huge strength.

I see him as a must keep in this role. He commands a taller defender, which brings that player out of our forward 50.

Moving forward, JUH isn’t suited to this role. Neither is Bruce. Unless we want Naughton to play this role, then we are back to using Hannan or a small

IF JUH, Bruce and Schache are all available & playing well, I would consider moving Naughton to CHB. Not ideal, as he is the best player BUT we have a huge hole there.

I have been against Naughton to CHB for a long time. But IF we have a working forward line with Scahche, Bruce & JUH, then it’s something we could consider.

That’s only something I’d consider IF Jamarra is dominating games and Bruce is back to his best.

The problem is that we can’t be certain that JUH & Bruce are both firing…. As only 1 can play IF Naughton is in the team, unless Naughton is playing CHB.
Also a big part of being able to get away with the 3 talls is the defensive pressure Naughton brings. Not sure we would get away with Schache, Bruce and Jamarra.

Richmond supporters say Miller cannot take the next step up and is a spud. Don't want
i really don't get why you are so infatuated with everything every supporter of opposition clubs think. These are the exact type of players we need to consider targeting, and I'm sure there are some who like him, as well as others who are probably on the fence.

What do you think Geelong supporters thought of Hamling before we recruited him? Or Swans supporters regarding Biggs? They seemed to turn out OK.

And on the other side of the coin, I've even read some of our supporters suggesting Arty Jones for a debut, havn't really seen him do anything, although he did kick a nice goal this week.
And then there's Sweet, can't go a page on any topic without hearing his name, its like people think he's a mix of Dempsey and Wynd for some reason.
Sometimes supporters don't know as much as they think they might.

I trust our recruiters are doing the required research regarding who we will or won't go after. And whether we agree or disagree on their eventual reasonings, they will have reasons for their decisions.

Last edited:
Good to read some talk regarding Key Backs we might have a look at. I'm not sure if people discussed this at the time, but we also need to consider that Keath's AFL career might be shorter than expected, due to coming from a separate professional sport, and playing both disiplines in that sport. Being a tall batsman, as well as a medium fast bowler, would have put a faif bit of strain on his back, which could lead to earlier than expected hamstring issues?

Also, with talk that we've neglected tall defenders, I'm not sure thats true. we have been unlucky. In Bev's time Hamling and Adams have both left, Collins was taken high but didn't work. Naughton was taken high as a defender, but Boyds unexpected retirement probably had some effect on us having to transform him into a forward. Cordy hasnt come on at all. But yes, another tall defender would be handy.

And we have invested an awful lot on talls in general recently. English was first round, Naughton, JUH, Darcy also. I think we have to appreciate this to some extent. And was Collins a first round pick that got split so we could also get Dunkley?

Out of all the Key defenders that could be available I'd go Logue, Pearce, Gardiner, Payne, McGovern, McAsey, Nyuon, BZT, Miller. In that order.

Yeah absolute necessity to bring in one ready to go and hopefully draft one with our first too.

What are some realistic options? Payne maybe but doesn’t seem he’s keen on moving if he hasn’t yet, plus I’d like to aim a little higher tbh. Logue does zero for me, wouldn’t be worth the cost imo
I like a lot of Defensive players. GWS are said to be in need of shedding salary cap space.
I would be interested in Himmelberg as a defender, Haynes and Taylor.
McGovern and Harrass from Eagles
Jack Henry who is battling to get games for Geelong.
Clurey port Adelaide
Balta Richmond
Pearce, Ryan Young at Freo
Harris Andrews. Worth asking about
Ridley and Redman Essendon
We just have to be aggressive and bold

Out of all the Key defenders that could be available I'd go Logue, Pearce, Gardiner, Payne, McGovern, McAsey, Nyuon, BZT, Miller. In that order.
For me Payne is clearly the most likely option given:
  1. His desire for opportunity despite being from QLD (hopefully)
  2. Likely impact on our salary cap which is presumably tight
  3. Brisbane's need for points to match bids on Ashcroft (pick 1-2) and Fletcher (~pick 20)
  4. Brisbane's need for open list spots to allow for use of multiple 2nd-3rd round picks to match those bids (can only use picks if you have open spots)
Our 3rd rounder (tied to North so will be pick #37 pushed back for free-agency compensation picks) should be enough to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back