Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just absurd that Carlton were able to nab both McKay and Curnow in the same draft. Both could lay claims for the best key forward in the comp for the next 8-10 years.
With Curnows knee issues don't think he is going to have 8 -10 more years in him.
3 -5 of still excellent service if he can stay on the park

Assistants should bring new ideas as well as application and leadership. Matt Spangher is working miracles with our forward line and has turned us into the highest scoring team in the competition in both rounds since the bye 🤣

Yeah maybe you are correct but GWS and Hawks play a risk game that allows high scoring when it goes wrong. Like to see a bigger sample size. I know we kicked big scores against WCE and North but everyone was doing it.

We need a solid tall defender now, not in 3-4 years time. We should trade for a decent one. I mean, sure if at our pick the best available (or thereabouts) is a tall defender, then go for it, but otherwise just get some more quality of any kind into the squad.

Our midfield depth is great right at the moment, but in two years time we have one or two retire, another leave the club, and a couple of longer term injuries to our aging stars, and all of a sudden we are scraping the barrel for VFL mids.

Last edited:

Can't help but feel that Wallis injuring his foot and being out for the rest of the season is curtains on his career.

My young fella will be devastated, Mitch is his favourite player !!

Who wants to be brave and predict our end of season list changes?
Possible options:
Retire/delist: Wallis, Martin, Duryea, Butler, Cordy, Schache, Parker (r)
Delist + re-rookie: Cordy, Schache, Duryea
Trades: West, Dunkley, Cordy, JJ

What I guess happens:
Retire/delist: Martin, Wallis, Butler, Cordy
Re-rookie: Schache
Trade: Nil
Upgrade: Sweet (contracted and believe he needs to be upgraded)
Leaves 4 to bring in.

Sadly wally is done.

He hasn't been able to get much of a go whilst the injury list has been decimated. Between JJ, Hannan and McLean we have barely got a handful of games out of those players.

I'm not a fan at all of the medium sized forward in our setup. Suits genuine bigs or genuine smalls. And with an emphasis on athleticism and speed, Wally unfortunately had been impacted too much by injury to fit into the role.

Wallis, Martin, Butler and Cordy go for mine. I'd keep Croz.

Find another KPD from somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won’t get anything for Crozier other than freeing up a list spot.
What we get is his salary out of the cap and replaced with draftee wages. He signed after consecutive top 10 B&F finishes so would be on decent coin. I suspect we could use that space to cover an increased renewal for West after his recent form.

What we get is his salary out of the cap and replaced with draftee wages. He signed after consecutive top 10 B&F finishes so would be on decent coin. I suspect we could use that space to cover an increased renewal for West after his recent form.

Im presuming Croz is out of contract this year.

We could offer him less with this deal. I'm sure the same will be happening for JJ.

If Croz wants to explore and he left for a substantially better deal, I'd hope he go with the clubs blessing.

Having a look at the contract statuses of our players, I'm actually horrified with how many we need to re-sign.

Exactly my thinking. Contract runs through to the end of next season as well. I loved Crozier but he’s been well off his best for a few seasons now. Would give him a chance to revive his career, North get a best 22 experienced player, we save cap space and maybe get a handy 4th round pick.

We could offer him less with this deal. I'm sure the same will be happening for JJ.

If Croz wants to explore and he left for a substantially better deal, I'd hope he go with the clubs blessing.

Having a look at the contract statuses of our players, I'm actually horrified with how many we need to re-sign.
Once the last few big fish fall in place (Baz, Dunks) you’d be surprise how quickly deals for the middle tier will get done.

I'm going with obvious ones.
Retire: Martin, Wallis.
Delist: Butler, Cordy, Parker.

Duyrea might retire too.

Schache, Crozier. 1 year deal.
Doesn't leave too much room to trade more than 1 or 2 though so maybe there'd be a surprise trade out or something. 4-5 spots and 1 rookie spot. I think dogs will probably trade in 2 and draft the minimum.

Reckon the need for a small lockdown defender is just as important. Duryea will be 32 for mosr of next year, will have been injured for large parts of all but one of our years, and a lot of the issues people have with our defence is simply by virtue of being forced to pick an attacking-minded defensive unit on form/availability.

Also, if we see Sam Darcy as more of a KPP than a ruck (likely), a third player that's a genuine first ruck is a need. Plenty of diretions we can go with the age, AFL experience etc. of that ruck.

Nope he’s contracted until the end of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back