Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
with our Defensive "structure", I dont think we can cope with players without some legspeed in key defensive positions...
With different KPD options it might allow us to adopt a different structure. What we are doing currently isn't working. For a 3rd I would take a flyer on him and if it doesn't work we have only done a 3rd rounder

McAsey's family were a mad dogs family so that's all I need.

He showed great signs in 2020. Talent doesn't just go away.

Unless you're Jake Stringer and piss it away.

At best for Freo, he’ll go for a late 2nd rounder, but dare say Power will push for a 3rd.

Its a salary dump when they land Jackson and that’s the only way we’re interested, i.e. we’re not forking out much for a 30yo.
Pretty sure he’s in the last part of a contract that was front ended.

If the price isn’t right we won’t pull the trigger, can very easily see it not getting done.

It's pretty clear that Fremantle are going to ensure they get something more than Pick 30 for Lobb, and if we can't involve our Pick 11 in a deal which sees us getting Pick 13 (or similar) back, then we are going to have to use one of Brisbane's picks to trade down to something more suitable. For example, Pick 15 for Picks 20 & 39 from West Coast, with 20 going to Freo for Lobb.
Yeah nah. We just won’t deal in that case, and they can keep a disgruntled player on their list in Perth.

Why on earth would we sell the farm for an inconsistent 30+ player. It’s such a stupid thing to even consider doing.

Pretty sure he’s in the last part of a contract that was front ended.

If the price isn’t right we won’t pull the trigger, can very easily see it not getting done.
That would still be a decent amount and things only get tighter when Jackson signs.

Yeah, agree, while I want him as much as anyone on here, we can’t give up much for him.

Yeah nah. We just won’t deal in that case, and they can keep a disgruntled player on their list in Perth.

Why on earth would we sell the farm for an inconsistent 30+ player. It’s such a stupid thing to even consider doing.

There's no point fans grandstanding about it. We know the trade will get done, and Freo are going to want something better than 30, and that's fair enough for a contracted player who is in reality their only key forward. We'll have no option but to find a way to split one of our first rounders and use half of it for him. We should have three first rounders to play with, so it's not selling the farm even slightly.

There's no point fans grandstanding about it. We know the trade will get done, and Freo are going to want something better than 30, and that's fair enough for a contracted player who is in reality their only key forward. We'll have no option but to find a way to split one of our first rounders and use half of it for him. We should have three first rounders to play with, so it's not selling the farm even slightly.
I’m not grandstanding - I trust Sam Power to do the correct thing and not pay well over for an inconsistent 30+ year old player. I trust him based on all exposed evidence of this not occurring before with other players (Bruce, Keath, Treloar, etc.).

It’s better that we don’t trade than make a deal of the type you are suggesting.

I don’t understand why you say “we have no option”. We have another very obvious option.

30 is a fine deal for a player with his issues, and if they don’t want it they can keep him one more year and see him walk (which they are in their rights to do). I’m not even sure we are offering that much.

Last edited:

Respectfully disagree
Late 2nd round at best for me.
But club may very well agree with you !
Lobb is a limited footballer
And a 30 yr old limited footballer !

I’m not grandstanding - I trust Sam Power to do the correct thing and not pay well over for an inconsistent 30+ year old player. I trust him based on all exposed evidence of this not occurring before with other players (Bruce, Keath, Treloar, etc.).

It’s better that we don’t trade than make a deal of the type you are suggesting.

I don’t understand why you say “we have no option”. We have another very obvious option.

30 is a fine deal for a player with his issues, and if they don’t want it they can keep him one more year and see him walk. I’m not even sure we are offering that much.

We really don't need Lobb. If we can't get a good deal then we just walk, surely. My preference this year would be to just take some good first round picks to the draft.

Respectfully disagree
Late 2nd round at best for me.
But club may very well agree with you !
Lobb is a limited footballer
And a 30 yr old limited footballer !

Lobb is all of those things, I agree. And in an ideal world I'd agree with your valuation. But it's not about what we think. We know we want him, and we know the club will pay what they have to, and pretending otherwise is pointless.

If Hunter and Dunkley are traded out, JJ re-signed on a (presumably) significantly smaller contract and we can't do a deal on Lobb,we are going to have some serious cap space.

If Hunter and Dunkley are traded out, JJ re-signed on a (presumably) significantly smaller contract and we can't do a deal on Lobb,we are going to have some serious cap space.

We'll probably be paying a decent chunk of Hunter's contract. Also, a lot of our boys who re-signed this year will be getting substantial pay rises next year. Bailey Smith, Bailey Dale, Tim English and probably others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and you'd assume Bont and Jacko signed for unders than the open market. Naughton is already on big coin too

If dogs cant deal on Lobb then I hope they can find someone else before the close of trade period. But even then there might be a state leaguer like Crossley that can slot in. Not sure if there is anyone dogs cant pry out before trade period ends.

Lobb is all of those things, I agree. And in an ideal world I'd agree with your valuation. But it's not about what we think. We know we want him, and we know the club will pay what they have to, and pretending otherwise is pointless.

Why on earth will the club “pay what they have to”??

We can want a player but not at any cost.

There isn’t a single example I can think of from Power where he has done that. He’s always paid an ostensibly fair price or got a bargain.

For a laugh you lot should check at the Freo board. They think Bulldogs want Lobb so bad that you should give up pick 11 or pick 15 from Brisbane. It's insane reading.

Lobb wouldn't even be rated as a pick in the 20s. Be around pick 30 at the most. Not even sure why Bulldogs even want Lobb at all. Your tall forwards are alright. It would be better for you guys to get some quality small forward crumbers. That's more where I feel you fall down a little. I'm a little confused on why you guys even want Lobb.
I see your list and Norton, Bruce Hagan, Darcy. But not much quality smalls.

Whats your take on this.
For us it's more about the 2nd Ruck so we don't get slaughtered when English rests. Lobb has a 2nd string in that he can take a contested mark and kick some goals 👌

Correct but it’s pretty worthless. We need to win now IMO. We have great young talent but our core is in its window. If you don’t improve our list this off-season (even with a Dunkley loss) then it’s a massive fail. If Lobb falls through then our list will be worse than this current season.

Why on earth will the club “pay what they have to”??

We can want a player but not at any cost.

There isn’t a single example I can think of from Power where he has done that. He’s always paid an ostensibly fair price or got a bargain.
Honestly, I think Power would view Pick 29 as overs for Lobb, he’d be aiming for less.

Not a chance in hell Freo get more than 29, that’s a shade overs for mine and absolutely wouldn’t cough up any more.

Honestly, I think Power would view Pick 29 as overs for Lobb, he’d be aiming for less.

Not a chance in hell Freo get more than 29, that’s a shade overs for mine and absolutely wouldn’t cough up any more.
I agree. I think the Dockers supporters perception of his value is far off what it actually is. Now that Jackson has nominated Freo, I think they’d be comfortable shipping Lobb off to get rid of his salary and get an extra second rounder to use.

I agree. I think the Dockers supporters perception of his value is far off what it actually is. Now that Jackson has nominated Freo, I think they’d be comfortable shipping Lobb off to get rid of his salary and get an extra second rounder to use.
I fully understand club bias with this stuff, but I feel that’s generally put aside when a guy is like 30 and not a star.

Pick 30-40 is about his worth, I’d suggest most would agree on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back