Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedendo, Hannan & Khamis on one year deals.

Great news. I think Buku and Bedendo have great upside.

Not sure if already been posted...

The dual suspensions arrived with Smith in the final months of his existing contract.

But Bains suggested the midfielder will not lose ground in negotiations as a result of his off-field dramas, pointing to strong developments in prior talks with Smith’s management.

“We had made a fair bit of progress with his manager Paul Connors in the last two to three weeks, so hopefully that momentum can keep going,” he told Sportsday.

I take serious issue with Hannan being labelled a “silky left footer”. The blokes pure working class denim.
He's a better player than this forum seems to judge him as

Some media outlets saying Tim English has re signed others are saying there is no official word so he remains unsigned

Which is it?
I think it's all but certain he will re-sign for two more years and take him to free agency.

Just a matter of exact money figure and maybe incentives being worked out I assume.

Don't know if its been discussed before or not, but there's some debate starting about the AFL dropping its vaccine mandate ahead of next season.

With that in mind, and given a fairly clear need for an experienced KPD, would we look at bringing back a former project forward turned key defender who's currently on the sidelines? Even if just for a couple of years given his age..

Given there is no contradictory messaging from English's management. I think its pretty safe to say that both parties are comfortable that the news is out there that that he has re-signed with the club. Last week saw the announcement of two mid-range players. Today saw the bulk announcement of 3 lower tier players. The club will want to wait for the right moment to announce the re-signings of the elite parts of the list for guys like English, Dunkley and Smith. They'll do this either as a means of distraction, building sense of momentum going into finals or they will release the news in the post season as a way of upselling fans on next year if we miss out.

Sam Power.

Dunkley is a must keep. People on this forum underestimating his importance for us going forward both as a successor to Libba who doesn’t have much left in the tank and as a leader at the club.

I think people lost some emotional attachment to him after the Essendon saga which is understandable but a big takeaway from that personally was that he’s highly ambitious and a Puritan when it comes to professionalism. God knows we need as much of that at the club as possible.

Suggestions that a kid like West can step straight into replacing Libba might not be too far off the mark in terms of playing style but in terms of the on field maturity and leadership personally I think West is still a long way off.

From my perspective the lack of mature leadership in all areas of the ground was our number one issue post 2016 and I would hope we’ve learned from that over the past 5 years.
Agree. Even disregarding his midfield form (which, why would you?), his ability to go forward and look threatening alone this year makes him incredibly important. If there is any hope at all of keeping him, we need to.

Agree. Even disregarding his midfield form (which, why would you?), his ability to go forward and look threatening alone this year makes him incredibly important. If there is any hope at all of keeping him, we need to.
How many of our 2022 big name signings will be getting under 550k a year. All of Daniel, Daniel, English, Smith will be getting at least that if not well more.

Dunkley won't be asking for chump change. His management team will push for 700k a year.

I wouldn't shocked if the current top of the table team become a late player for him either.

It's not a question of do we want to keep him. Rather how much can we afford to pay him.

How many of our 2022 big name signings will be getting under 550k a year. All of Daniel, Daniel, English, Smith will be getting at least that if not well more.

Dunkley won't be asking for chump change. His management team will push for 700k a year.

I wouldn't shocked if the current top of the table team become a late player for him either.

It's not a question of do we want to keep him. Rather how much can we afford to pay him.
Daniel and Dale will be around the 500k mark given their length of contract but again we are all guessing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no need to rush to extend players who would attract zero interest from other AFL clubs. Although the club resigned Roarke for two years last year... 🤦‍♂️
There’s also no need to let a young man kept guessing on his future. But hey, let’s all pretend the team we support is filled with objects as opposed to people.

There’s also no need to let a young man kept guessing on his future. But hey, let’s all pretend the team we support is filled with objects as opposed to people.
That's just the world of professional sport. If they were objects as opposed to people we'd also save a fortune on the myoptherapists.

That's just the world of professional sport. If they were objects as opposed to people we'd also save a fortune on the myoptherapists.
I understand that, but you don’t delist someone after one season especially after they’ve played a majority of the games in that particular season and despite the noise, hasn’t been our worst performer.

I understand that, but you don’t delist someone after one season especially after they’ve played a majority of the games in that particular season and despite the noise, hasn’t been our worst performer.
As a general point on team selection.
When selecting a team to win a flag ,
We select the team that will be expected to perform in the final series..
The run home against finals aspirants will determine those that are up to the challenge..

Go Doggies.!!

Anyone in mind as examples?
Barrass
McGovern
Sam Taylor
Haynes
Ryan
Sicily
Stewart
Doedee
Andrews
Clurey
Tom McCartin
Weitering
Himmelberg
Moore
May
Lever
Petty

All of them likely to be contracted, however contracts can be broken. If one of them wants out and we can get a deal done with a good mid, why not?
Essendon tried it on with us and Dunkley, why don't we try instead of being subs for the rest of the comp.

As a general point on team selection.
When selecting a team to win a flag ,
We select the team that will be expected to perform in the final series..
The run home against finals aspirants will determine those that are up to the challenge..

Go Doggies.!!
If it were up to some we'd have the best 22 in the land and after that, nothing but youth coming through.

Because depth is never important. McComb is important depth. That's why you sign him for another year.

Might be controversial but I'm not offering Dunkley huge money. If he wants to go for a large term deal let him go.

I have all the faith that someone like West/Garcia when given the opportunity could offer 80% of what dunkley can do when they get to there prime.

We should be building around generation talents at the club. I'd rather Lose Dunkley and offer Naughton a market rate deal when he comes out of contract in 2024 rather than risk any chance of losing him.

Personally i'd plan to have 1.1-1.3 million of space to make sure Naughts is a life long bulldog. We have lost mids like Dunkley before and come out of the other side. If we can keep dunks and our essential players great. If there is any risk though I'd leave Dunks open to losing him rather than losing our biggest assets.

I feel there is a fair bit of undervaluing of Dunks going on.

The guy is a beast 190cm inside mid - gets plenty of ball, plenty of hard ball and can swing forward.

Not many like that on our list, and definitely worth paying him plenty to keep him.

I am concerned we’ll lose him.

I feel there is a fair bit of undervaluing of Dunks going on.

The guy is a beast 190cm inside mid - gets plenty of ball, plenty of hard ball and can swing forward.

Not many like that on our list, and definitely worth paying him plenty to keep him.

I am concerned we’ll lose him.
and fifth on the list for total score involvements this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back