Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westy isn't tall but his agility is exceptional and he's very tough.
And he's very good by hand

Certainly no mix up at the hospital when he was born

ErnieSigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching some of our games, our inside mids regularly get beaten up by more physical teams. We need more size and power to take the fight to other teams.

I know that West will hopefully get more midfield time soon. Do we think that Garcia can become a bully inside mid? I see him as having a great attack on the ball carrier but I worry about him not getting powerful enough.
That is more about not having a real bull ruckman as most other teams do.

BLACAE

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2018
Toowoomba, QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
SEM Pheonix, Tas Jack Jumpers
Thought Marra and Schach really showed a bit last night and shows how effective a 3 tall forward line can be if you can put pressure on the ball when it hits the deck. Took a qtr to get that right but when it was it looked great.

The first, and defensively the last we were a bit of a shambles. Need to be on the ball next week or the Lions will cut us apart.

DueWest

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought Marra and Schach really showed a bit last night and shows how effective a 3 tall forward line can be if you can put pressure on the ball when it hits the deck. Took a qtr to get that right but when it was it looked great.

The first, and defensively the last we were a bit of a shambles. Need to be on the ball next week or the Lions will cut us apart.

Jamarra has put on size throughout the year and is beginning to be able to compete physically. Two more preseasons and he will be cherry ripe

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rolling along the run home - we are hopefully getting some players back and will have some selection issues.

We get back from yesterday the following best 22 players

English
Hunter
Bruce
García
Smith
Maclean
Richards
Duryea

Still amazing we are still in the hunt with a third of our team out.

Also fringe players

Hannan
VDM
Wallis

Hopefully we scrape in the finals and look like this:

FF: Weightman Bruce JUH

HF: West Naughton JJ

C: Hunter Macrae Smith
R: English Bont Libba

HB: Dale Keath Richards

FB: Duryea/Crozier Gardner TOB

Int: Trelor, Daniel, Dunkley, Schache/McLean/García

This is a considerably better side but also let’s us see where we are weak.

The obvious issues are speed and contested defence.

For speed - we have JJ, Smith, Richards, Dale and Trelor with good speed but a high speed open space but runner is a gap - Hunter certainly has the gut running but nor so much speed.

For defence the problem is both form and cattle. Keath and TOB are currently out of form. Both are not taking as many marks or contacting on the defensive marking contests - put simply they are being beaten too easily by forward going for the ball. Williams and Cordy both apply this pressure but neither appears the answer.

Gardner is still developing but looks slightly better each game and is getting more responsibility - he just need to make decisions faster.

We have two needs in defence -

1. right now for this next window we need a ready to go KPD who will try and beat his opponent and contest marks. These are hard to find and of course everyone wants them because they are rare leaders and back themselves. We had Wood - TOB isn’t taking it on: We probably can not afford to chase a tier 1 KPD (we have Smith still to sign and some others) so a solid Tier 2 like Logue, Hamling, Petty, Payne etc

We could even go left field and chase MacDonald from Melbourne (old but he keeps being f’d around. He was a good KPD before he had to move forward. Melbournes forward talls are a rag tag bunch of b-graders who play to their system. But defensive talls of May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson, Rivers and Joel Smith is stacked. They have a full two lines of AFL standard and would be hard to hold all of them. Petty would be a favourite but MacDonald for a couple of years might be very handy.

2. We have Darcy coming through who maybe a Ruck/KPD. In any event I would have two over 195 KPD kids - one in the draft - the best we can get.

second I would go for Mccasey - he has dropped off a cliff form wise but he never wanted to go to Adelaide and wanted to come here - I would be surprised if he didn’t play much better with us. risky of course but he was a good junior and has some of the traits we want.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rolling along the run home - we are hopefully getting some players back and will have some selection issues.

We get back from yesterday the following best 22 players

English
Hunter
Bruce
García
Smith
Maclean
Richards
Duryea

Still amazing we are still in the hunt with a third of our team out.

Also fringe players

Hannan
VDM
Wallis

Hopefully we scrape in the finals and look like this:

FF: Weightman Bruce JUH

HF: West Naughton JJ

C: Hunter Macrae Smith
R: English Bont Libba

HB: Dale Keath Richards

FB: Duryea/Crozier Gardner TOB

Int: Trelor, Daniel, Dunkley, Schache/McLean/García

This is a considerably better side but also let’s us see where we are weak.

The obvious issues are speed and contested defence.

For speed - we have JJ, Smith, Richards, Dale and Trelor with good speed but a high speed open space but runner is a gap - Hunter certainly has the gut running but nor so much speed.

For defence the problem is both form and cattle. Keath and TOB are currently out of form. Both are not taking as many marks or contacting on the defensive marking contests - put simply they are being beaten too easily by forward going for the ball. Williams and Cordy both apply this pressure but neither appears the answer.

Gardner is still developing but looks slightly better each game and is getting more responsibility - he just need to make decisions faster.

We have two needs in defence -

1. right now for this next window we need a ready to go KPD who will try and beat his opponent and contest marks. These are hard to find and of course everyone wants them because they are rare leaders and back themselves. We had Wood - TOB isn’t taking it on: We probably can not afford to chase a tier 1 KPD (we have Smith still to sign and some others) so a solid Tier 2 like Logue, Hamling, Petty, Payne etc

We could even go left field and chase MacDonald from Melbourne (old but he keeps being f’d around. He was a good KPD before he had to move forward. Melbournes forward talls are a rag tag bunch of b-graders who play to their system. But defensive talls of May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson, Rivers and Joel Smith is stacked. They have a full two lines of AFL standard and would be hard to hold all of them. Petty would be a favourite but MacDonald for a couple of years might be very handy.

2. We have Darcy coming through who maybe a Ruck/KPD. In any event I would have two over 195 KPD kids - one in the draft - the best we can get.

second I would go for Mccasey - he has dropped off a cliff form wise but he never wanted to go to Adelaide and wanted to come here - I would be surprised if he didn’t play much better with us. risky of course but he was a good junior and has some of the traits we want.

Not sure how you can have McLean and Garcia in best 22 and not Hannan

I’m one of the first to criticise Hannan but he has constantly been picked in the best 22 when fit. Garcia hasn’t and McLean has barely played for 2 years due to injury so can’t really rate where he will sit and how much toll those injuries have taken on him

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Not sure how you can have McLean and Garcia in best 22 and not Hannan

I’m one of the first to criticise Hannan but he has constantly been picked in the best 22 when fit. Garcia hasn’t and McLean has barely played for 2 years due to injury so can’t really rate where he will sit and how much toll those injuries have taken on him
McLean over Hannan every day for me. Hannan is constantly picked because we’ve never had our best 22 fit while he’s been at the club. Agree on Garcia, he’s not best 22 (and the poster only allowed one spot on the bench for McLean/Garcia so can’t have both in the best 22).

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McLean over Hannan every day for me. Hannan is constantly picked because we’ve never had our best 22 fit while he’s been at the club. Agree on Garcia, he’s not best 22 (and the poster only allowed one spot on the bench for McLean/Garcia so can’t have both in the best 22).

No arguments if we are talking 2020 mclean but this is his second knee reco he is returning from in the space of less than 24 months if I’m not mistaken. You have to admit there are question marks on how he comes back so at this stage he is an unknown

BLACAE

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2018
Toowoomba, QLD
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
SEM Pheonix, Tas Jack Jumpers
No arguments if we are talking 2020 mclean but this is his second knee reco he is returning from in the space of less than 24 months if I’m not mistaken. You have to admit there are question marks on how he comes back so at this stage he is an unknown
We'll have a good idea later today but if his last reco is anything to go by he'll hit the ground running. He's a determined bloke.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve sort of just written off McLean when I think about the side I want out there - as two knees is brutal. But geez he’s a big inclusion to our forward half if he gets himself right.

He was Robbie Gray like for a brief period of time a few years back, just everything he touched turned to gold. So creative with ball in hand and so strong defensively and in the contest.

When all fit a mixture of Cody, West, JJ, McLean as our main smalls in the forward half is such a perfect mix. When they’re all up and about there is just zero need to have the ball butchering battlers like Hannan, McComb, McNeil in the side hopefully

Keep the list together and put every single resource we have available to us into our back half - has to be the priority this year

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jackson Paine would be selected rd 1 2023 if we brought him in. Much stronger body than O'brien/Gardiner and we need another big boy down there.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve sort of just written off McLean when I think about the side I want out there - as two knees is brutal. But geez he’s a big inclusion to our forward half if he gets himself right.

He was Robbie Gray like for a brief period of time a few years back, just everything he touched turned to gold. So creative with ball in hand and so strong defensively and in the contest.

When all fit a mixture of Cody, West, JJ, McLean as our main smalls in the forward half is such a perfect mix. When they’re all up and about there is just zero need to have the ball butchering battlers like Hannan, McComb, McNeil in the side hopefully

Keep the list together and put every single resource we have available to us into our back half - has to be the priority this year
Toby would also have a midfield role when Libba, Treloar retire and if we lost Dunkley.

He was a great contested midfielder a few years ago.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
For those who despair our ruck situation spare a thought for the loyal Frankston VFL fans our there. With 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter they’re losing the hit outs 37-8

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh well.. apparently wet toast will take Naughton and English off us in 2 years.

At least their supporters have informed us in advance

Even though naughton isn't really from WA. Derp

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jackson Paine would be selected rd 1 2023 if we brought him in. Much stronger body than O'brien/Gardiner and we need another big boy down there.

Jack Payne you mean? Jackson Paine was delisted a while back.

Admittedly I was harsh on Payne. He looked good against Melbourne apart from his ball use.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh well.. apparently wet toast will take Naughton and English off us in 2 years.

They've got such promising youth to make their team an appealing destination and rise up the ladder, after all.

I think we should throw in Baz as well, seeing as his transgression took place in Perth and he obviously feels at home there. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back