Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another of Williams’ clients, Western Bulldogs forward Josh Bruce, has also been floated around in trade circles given that his clubs is attempting to recruit Rory Lobb from Fremantle.

However, the 30-year-old former Giant and Saint will not be joining a fourth AFL club anytime soon and could even find himself in defence at times in 2023.

“Josh is committed to playing at the Dogs,” said Williams.

“He’s got another year to go on his contract. He had a great year in 2021 until he did his ACL.

“The aim was just for him to come back and play a little bit of football in 2022, which he did.

“I know Josh is training really hard at the moment and looking to make a big impact there.

“I think he’ll have a chat with ‘Bevo’, he might either play in defence or up forward so that remains to be seen.”

As much as I couldn't give a toss what happens to Judas Dunkley and as much as Hunter has been up and down lately, losing him would sting. Always heart and soul and a real barometer for us.
I do agree, losing a F/S B&F winner does sting BUT going into next season with literally zero tall depth down back stings me more. I'd be going all out and doing Tomlinson for Hunter trade + salary pickup just to get it over the line, we need tall depth.

I've seen multiple articles on where O'Meara might land, who cares? He is cooked and its a salary dump by Hawthorn, he'll have zero impact wherever he ends up.
I wouldn't write him off just yet. He's a good player who's spent a long time languishing in a poor team. I could easily see him making a pretty good impact at a side like Freo in the 4th or 5th mid role, more of a Mundy replacement.

Another of Williams’ clients, Western Bulldogs forward Josh Bruce, has also been floated around in trade circles given that his clubs is attempting to recruit Rory Lobb from Fremantle.

However, the 30-year-old former Giant and Saint will not be joining a fourth AFL club anytime soon and could even find himself in defence at times in 2023.

“Josh is committed to playing at the Dogs,” said Williams.

“He’s got another year to go on his contract. He had a great year in 2021 until he did his ACL.

“The aim was just for him to come back and play a little bit of football in 2022, which he did.

“I know Josh is training really hard at the moment and looking to make a big impact there.

“I think he’ll have a chat with ‘Bevo’, he might either play in defence or up forward so that remains to be seen.”
This is an interesting comment. I wonder if there have been some internal discussions between Bruce and the club already around this, especially if we land Lobb.

I do agree, losing a F/S B&F winner does sting BUT going into next season with literally zero tall depth down back stings me more. I'd be going all out and doing Tomlinson for Hunter trade + salary pickup just to get it over the line, we need tall depth.
Jones & Gardiner as key pillars, Darcy, Keath & O'Brien as depth.
I'd be tempted to play Darcy down there a fair bit as our interceptor. Nowhere near as acrobatic as a prime Wood or Crozier, but he just read the ball so well last year at VFL level and another year of development (and a full pre-season) means he'll be better again.

We really need to draft a KPD though for succession planning.

This is an interesting comment. I wonder if there have been some internal discussions between Bruce and the club already around this, especially if we land Lobb.
Didn't he spend a bit of time in defence late last season?

Would not mind if we traded any or all of Hunter, Bruce and Crozier today. If we can slightly improve our draft hand due to this, absolutely go for it. Older blokes not in our best 22 are better off not being in our salary cap either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Bruce does recapture his 2021 form, then damn we will be spoilt for options. As Naughton and Darcy can play up both ends, and Bruce potentially as well, even though I feel he is on the slow end to be a defender.

We could end up with Lobb, Bruce (Naughton) and Jamarra up front. Naughton (Bruce), Jones and Keath down back. With Darcy as the rotational swing man. If Doc stays fit, Richards has shown he can defend, and if we manage to get our hands on Weddle in the draft. Suddenly we have a solid defence.

Last edited:
IF Hunter does go. I think our biggest hit would be his on field leadership. How many other players, people in the leadership group included, are constantly directing others where to go, and what to do. He acts like an on field coach at times. Always vocal. For the knocks on his kicking at times, or slowing the play down, he is a very smart player.

I hope we retain Schache as deep list depth option if he's willing to stay for peanuts. There's some depth and versatility in this group. Draft a developing KPD and I'm comfortable enough with that.

KPD - Jones, Gardner, Keath, O'Brien
KPF - Naughton, Lobb, JUH, Darcy
Ruck - English, Sweet
Utility - Bruce, Schache

Thank heavens this ends today

I was sucked in early days years ago, but haven't listened a minute for a good five years. Absolute trash.

Cooney's 'Mega Trades' are yet another example that there ain't much going on upstairs.

I imagine the audience for this crap is spaced out uni students with plenty of time on their hands between lectures and nuffies whose idea of fun is trainspotting.

If we trade Dunks, Cordy and Hunter, are we even going to hit the 95% salary cap floor? That'd be $1.2 million. Jones wouldn't be on much i'd imagine. Lobb obviously bumps it up I guess though if we get him.
It'd very easy to hit. If we're $500k short of 95%, just bump some payments up until next year for some players that you know will be here throughout their entire contract (Bont, Macrae etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back