Competitions Trade\Delist\FA\Keep

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how credible it is. But this popped up in my facebook feed, heart dropped when I saw it. Really would be a step too far, sure we're rebuilding but Barlow is a must to have around the club. He is Freo through and through, and deserves to play be a lifetime member by playing 150 games.
I think it is time for exactly the opposite of the approach Barlow is through and through a Fremantle player so he has to stay. It will significantly hinder the speed of our rebuild if we hold on to players who have some trade value who won't be around in four years. Signing Barlow to a two year extension would also rob Blakely and Balic time playing in the guts. There is an obvious contradiction that it seems the same posters who want us to rebuild and improve skills also want Barlow to be resigned. It would be a massive mistake if we don't at least see the trade value of all players older than 25 bar Yarran.

Look at teams that have rebuilt brilliantly over the years. Those teams all made hard decisions. I think some here overemphasise the fact good blokes should not be traded.

Last edited:
I think it is time for exactly the opposite of the approach Barlow is through and through a Fremantle player so he has to stay. It would significantly hinder the speed of our rebuild if we hold on to players who have some trade value who won't be around in four years. Signing Barlow to a two year extension would also rob Blakely and Balic time playing in the guts. There is an obvious contradiction that it seems the same posters who want us to rebuild and improve skills also want Barlow to be resigned. It would be a massive mistake if we don't at least see the trade value of all players older than 25 bar Yarran.

Look at teams that have re-built brilliantly over the years. Those teams all made hard decisions. I think some here overemphasise the fact good blokes should not be traded.

Totally agree. People can point to Melbourne getting rid of good citizens, but we are not in the same situation. We still have Sandilands, Johnson, Spurr, Mundy, Neale and Fyfe who are all leaders and good citizens.

Trading out Barlow even for little provides salary cap space and opportunities for Blakely and Balic.

Sorry to intrude... but with Hannath going officially today
Is that a sign that Clarke will re-sign? Considering you only have Sandi and Griffin. and also knowing that Lobb is not crossing.

Sorry to intrude... but with Hannath going officially today
Is that a sign that Clarke will re-sign? Considering you only have Sandi and Griffin. and also knowing that Lobb is not crossing.
Nobody really knows what's happening, but it certainly appears likely. Luckily FA opens on Friday so hopefully we'll know soon enough.

There is faint whisperings of Rhys Stanley coming over, but that rumour hasn't made its way into media - so probably will happen haha

Nobody really knows what's happening, but it certainly appears likely. Luckily FA opens on Friday so hopefully we'll know soon enough.

There is faint whisperings of Rhys Stanley coming over, but that rumour hasn't made its way into media - so probably will happen haha
Rhys Stanley? gees i'm surprised by that...o_O

I haven't heard anything in awhile especially given what season we're in. Would be surprised if we landed him now. Would of been apart of a swap involving a player and a pick.

Okay so currently I'm on 16 out of 19, although that could go as low as 13 if both Deluca and Grey are redrafted by us (I know they've been delisted, but thinks its fair to interpret delisted and redrafted as not really really finally finally delisted.) and Clarke leaves via the pre season (or main) draft.
What was the prize? The people's ovation and fame forever right?

Okay so currently I'm on 16 out of 19, although that could go as low as 13 if both Deluca and Grey are redrafted by us (I know they've been delisted, but thinks its fair to interpret delisted and redrafted as not really really finally finally delisted.) and Clarke leaves via the pre season (or main) draft.
What was the prize? The people's ovation and fame forever right?
Prize = suggest spend time one on one with nick suban or d.pearce .:)

Hannath - Delist
Clarke - Keep
Mayne - Trade
de Boer - Keep
C Pearce - Delist
Ballas - Keep
Barlow - Keep
Ibbotson - Keep
Pavlich - Beatify
Johnson - Keep
Suban - Keep
Morabito - Delist
Silvagni - Keep
Mzungu - Delist
T Smith - Keep
Grey - Delist
Deluca - Delist
Langdon - Trade
Deluca - already delisted two spots up
Hurley - Delist

That's ten gone. Too many really. But three are rookies. Which is why I'm hanging on to Tanner. Would trade Suban if someone wants him, and it's up to Clark whether he wants to go or not.

I got de Boer, Barlow, Silvagni and Smith wrong, because I wanted to keep them all for another year.
And I got Langdon wrong, because I thought he wanted out.

So 13 out of 18 correct.
I'm clearly too soft to be a list manager. Maybe I also failed to consider the player's needs not to just be back ups - I think both Barlow and Silvagni could get a regular game at other clubs (too unrealistic again?)
And I certainly thought getting all 4 of McCarthy, Hill, Hamling and Kersten was very unlikely, so didn't consider the addition of four senior players when working out how many to remove from the list.

Perhaps there is now a greater chance that de Luca and Grey get another chance.

Perhaps there is now a greater chance that de Luca and Grey get another chance.
Hard to say isn't? I'm not sure we have ever (well, not in the last 10 years anyway) invited a recently delisted player to train but then not redrafted them. We have redrafted more than 1 player at time at least twice that I can recall: 2010 and 2015 drafts.

I have a funny feeling though they're competing for the one rookie spot.

Edit: I started looking at old permission to train lists, since I am meant to be working on an env monitoring design proposal that is due in a little over 48 hours and that work is not going to not do itself, and found that in 2008 Chris Smith was delisted, trained but was not redrafted. As was Brock O'Brien in 2010 (I stopped looking at that point). So there is precedent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back