Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a big part of the problem with a guy like Rocky is the opportunities he will take away from our youth. Langford, Mutch, Begley and Laverde all will need considerable midfield opportunities or their development will stall. We cant continue to plug our list up with these older guys unless they are just coming in to be a role player.
Other issue is the attitude as well. Having one guy with a demonstrative style like Goddard is enough. Remember what we saw happen at Brisbane when they had both Rockliff and Hanley? Don't want that happening here.

Kennedy would massively help our delivery into it too.

Imagine that, Daniher, Hooker, Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Stewart, Stringer.

Hnnnggggggggggg.
Stringer and Connors both said will be playing midfield next year. Me thinks already locked in with us.

Other issue is the attitude as well. Having one guy with a demonstrative style like Goddard is enough. Remember what we saw happen at Brisbane when they had both Rockliff and Hanley? Don't want that happening here.
Yeah, I don't know about that other than what was reported.

He's a good player but we need to invest in our own players before bringing in a guy who's only got 3 or 4 good years left.

From a list management perspective we have great depth forward and will get even better with Stringer coming in so we have these other guys like the ones that I mentioned that realize that unles they become midfielders they will struggle to get regular football. I actually believe it puts the club in a very strong position because we effectively have Langfoed, Laverde, Begley and Mutch competing for 1 or 2 midfield roles.

A left of centre idea could be to trial Begley from half back. He has that Hibberd body shape and is a brilliant field kick.

All I can assume is that they must have a lot of faith in the kids coming through if they dont think Rockliff is worth having around for 3-4 years.

With the retirement of so many senior players this year the powers that be may have decided that we are now a couple of years away from a top 4 finish so we might as well stock up on guys in that younger age bracket

He's a good player but we need to invest in our own players before bringing in a guy who's only got 3 or 4 good years left.

From a list management perspective we have great depth forward and will get even better with Stringer coming in so we have these other guys like the ones that I mentioned that realize that unles they become midfielders they will struggle to get regular football. I actually believe it puts the club in a very strong position because we effectively have Langfoed, Laverde, Begley and Mutch competing for 1 or 2 midfield roles.

A left of centre idea could be to trial Begley from half back. He has that Hibberd body shape and is a brilliant field kick.
Nah for mine Langford, Laverde, Begley and Mutch will all push for mid/half forward roles. Unless of course (assuming we get him) we plan on playing Stringer as a mid (which is what I'd imagine is what we've offered him).

With the retirement of so many senior players this year the powers that be may have decided that we are now a couple of years away from a top 4 finish so we might as well stock up on guys in that younger age bracket
Yup sustained success rather than continually bottoming out and rebuilding (like we have the last 15 or so years) is the way to go.

But he is a free agent that immediately fills a needs that makes us better and still a contender for finals, while at the same time giving the young guys more time to develop and we dont even know if all of langford, laverde, mutch and begley will make it as mids. We also dont know if Kennedy will even make it.
For me its a no brainer but its done.

Nah for mine Langford, Laverde, Begley and Mutch will all push for mid/half forward roles. Unless of course (assuming we get him) we plan on playing Stringer as a mid (which is what I'd imagine is what we've offered him).
I have no doubt they will rotate through the forwardline but I personally haven't been a fan of having that fourth tall role in the forwardline. With Joe, Hooker and Stewart up front my personal opinion is we need another small to put tackling pressure on like Walla does. Green is not bad at it but for mine we need another quick player.

Langers, Laverde and Begley are that in between size that is a little too much for our forwardline.

I have no doubt they will rotate through the forwardline but I personally haven't been a fan of having that fourth tall role in the forwardline. With Joe, Hooker and Stewart up front my personal opinion is we need another small to put tackling pressure on like Walla does. Green is not bad at it but for mine we need another quick player.

Langers, Laverde and Begley are that in between size that is a little too much for our forwardline.
Strictly speaking I wouldn't call it a 4th tall role though, the best our forwardline has functioned all year was when we had 3 talls (Daniher, Hooker & Stewart), 1 medium (Laverde/Begley, Stringer could fill this or become a mid) and 2 smalls (Walla & Fantasia). We've seen how potent this type of structure has made Adelaide.

Green is rated the worst at the club for pressure though, and by a fair margin. The bit that bothers me most is that he often stands and watches opposition players run past him and only once they're a good 10+ metres ahead does he finally start chasing.

Of those 3 Laverde is the quickest of the lot (I'd say he's just as quick as Green).

I just read this. Sounds good but one minute a 28 year old is too old in (Rockliff) next minute we asked about Ablett and Crameri is a maybe. Cmon Dodoro thats just silly. Clearly some other reason for not wanting Rockliff.
Maybe he's trying to find a polite way of saying "we think he's a dickhead"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enough with saying dodo doesn't want old farts. Rockliff probably commands too much money and has a bad attitude, dodoro said we want 22-25 elite mids, not 28 year old elite mids. Ablett is a role player and would go into any teams starting 22 and us there to mentor the young kid dms in his last year or so(Kelly, Mitchell ,Lewis, chapman etc.). Crameri would be depth, we wouldn't recruit him to slot into our team straight away. I'd say he's a bit behind stew and would be a replacement should one of our big men get injured.

In essence, we would be interested in what suits our list the best, and if that's an old bloke like Ablett to replace Kelly Jobe and stants in the mentor role then I'm all for it. If we lack KPP or mid or fwd blah blah depth then we go for anyone who would compliment the hole in our depth, not necessarily on age. Someone who can play in the 2s and perform ok when called upon (smack)

Strictly speaking I wouldn't call it a 4th tall role though, the best our forwardline has functioned all year was when we had 3 talls (Daniher, Hooker & Stewart), 1 medium (Laverde/Begley, Stringer could fill this or become a mid) and 2 smalls (Walla & Fantasia). We've seen how potent this type of structure has made Adelaide.

Green is rated the worst at the club for pressure though, and by a fair margin. The bit that bothers me most is that he often stands and watches opposition players run past him and only once they're a good 10+ metres ahead does he finally start chasing.

Of those 3 Laverde is the quickest of the lot (I'd say he's just as quick as Green).
Yeah, I'm not worried about how potent our forwardline is with that fourth tall because its actually pretty negligible. None of the guys that we have used in that role have really contributed much at all offensively but they offer even less defensively.

I would like to see Fantasia used more through midfield and I would love to see another defensive forward like Walla come in to assist with putting pressure on the ball coming back out fast. A lot of goals are started from defence and it's important to try trap the ball in. It's something we arent partiularly good at. It would also give more time for the midfield to set up defensively as well to keep the ball down our end more.

I just think our forwardline can be a little top heavy against some opponents.

Me thinks Stringer will end up at Geelong.

Devon Smith heavily linked to Carlton now. They'll get him because Geelong have shifted their focus from Smith to Stringer.

Hopefully we're heavily into Kennedy.

I don't get where "his preference is Geelong" is coming from. From all reports Stringer and his management have only spoken to Essendon so far.

He is also great on forward flank. Beautiful kick at goal.

I don't get where "his preference is Geelong" is coming from. From all reports Stringer and his management have only spoken to Essendon so far.
Geelong is focussing on finals. Get Kelly to speak with Stringer re how he lost his appetite for football at Geelong due to the huge pressure that they put on him and regained it playing with the youthful Essendon team.

Last edited:
Enough with saying dodo doesn't want old farts. Rockliff probably commands too much money and has a bad attitude, dodoro said we want 22-25 elite mids, not 28 year old elite mids. Ablett is a role player and would go into any teams starting 22 and us there to mentor the young kid dms in his last year or so(Kelly, Mitchell ,Lewis, chapman etc.). Crameri would be depth, we wouldn't recruit him to slot into our team straight away. I'd say he's a bit behind stew and would be a replacement should one of our big men get injured.

In essence, we would be interested in what suits our list the best, and if that's an old bloke like Ablett to replace Kelly Jobe and stants in the mentor role then I'm all for it. If we lack KPP or mid or fwd blah blah depth then we go for anyone who would compliment the hole in our depth, not necessarily on age. Someone who can play in the 2s and perform ok when called upon (smack)
Crameri is good mates with Stringer. Both Maryborough boys. Buy them both a share in a trotter. They love it. I reckon Stringer modelled his game style a bit on Crameri.

He had Cats beanie and socks on

I just read this. Sounds good but one minute a 28 year old is too old in (Rockliff) next minute we asked about Ablett and Crameri is a maybe. Cmon Dodoro thats just silly. Clearly some other reason for not wanting Rockliff.
I think the difference is getting a 28 year old best 22 player and getting a Crameri that is depth, plays VFL all year and takes on a mentoring type role with the youngsters.

I'm gonna assume the Ablett thing was a joke, and if it wasn't then the suggestion would probably be a StevieJ type deal (but honestly he doesn't seem to have the leadership qualities that you would want in a mentor/coach anyway?)

I think the difference is getting a 28 year old best 22 player and getting a Crameri that is depth, plays VFL all year and takes on a mentoring type role with the youngsters.

I'm gonna assume the Ablett thing was a joke, and if it wasn't then the suggestion would probably be a StevieJ type deal (but honestly he doesn't seem to have the leadership qualities that you would want in a mentor/coach anyway?)
Yup. From everything that's been reported in the media since he first joined the Suns, it seems as though he isn't a particularly good leader. That being said though, he's had bugger all support in that regard up there most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back