Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much the only time we took an inside mid over a flanker and it backfired.

I could swear that reports said Myers wasnt even a full time mid in his junior days and that people were complaining about him being a flanker on here even back then.

Funny how little things change

Later in the draft it is players that that have a deficiency in their game. We are after a larger body with good skills... much harder to find.

It’s still quite easy. We have a niche of picking project players over blokes who, despite there athletic profile can just play football.

If its so easy why haven't we done it?

Cause Dodo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zak Jones is out of contract and would be the guy we should be targeting imo. Suits our game plan to a tee as a hard nut with speed on the outside.

Our midfield requires a hard nut or two but as we saw against the Dees, our midfield works best when they have speed in and around the contest and to apply pressure.

Last edited:
Zak Jones is out of contract and would be the guy we should be targeting imo. Suits our game plan to a tee as a hard nut with speed on the outside.

Our midfield requires a hard nut or two but as we saw against the Dees, our midfield works best when they have speed in and around the contest and to apply pressure.

He’s hard at it but pretty average at the rest of the game

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/f7886abd8cbe92280fd93561262ec853

A scintillating start to 2019 has seen emerging Gold Coast star Jack Martin attract ample interest from rival clubs — but reportedly not the team that was very keen on him late last year.
Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph reported on Tuesday night that Melbourne-based clubs are preparing pitches to lure Martin from the Suns, with the 24-year-old our of contact at season’s end and in the midst of career-best form.

But Ralph said Essendon isn’t one of those clubs, despite its strong reported interest in the weeks after the 2018 season.

Ralph said the highly talented Martin, taken by the Suns in the 2012 mini-draft, had delayed contracted talks until later this season.

But asked on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight if the Bombers would chase Martin again at the end of the season, Ralph said: “I don’t think they will, but everyone else will.

“My understanding is that Jack Martin has put off contract talks until deep into the season as he tries to maximise his form, as well as assesses his options.

“He’s in fantastic form, realising the potential as one of those mini-draft players.

“His hot start to the season has those Victorian clubs frothing at the mouth about the outside speed, the inside grunt, the goal sense. But Essendon is about the only side that will not have a crack at him because they haven’t got enough salary cap room and they got Dylan Shiel.”

Martin has booted two goals and averaged 22 disposals, five inside 50s, eight score involvements and 480m gained from his three games so far.

Ralph said the much-improved Suns, who’ve impressed across the early rounds with a 2-1 record, were still a strong chance of retaining Martin, but added the big offers would soon come.

“Last year he was desperate to get there, (but the Bombers) had to give up this year’s (top) pick for Dylan Shiel and so Essendon is very much aware of that, as are his management. Every club is having a crack,” Ralph said.

“His partner’s family — which is one of the reasons he wanted to get down to Melbourne — as moved up to the Gold Coast from Melbourne, so that’s some chance to see him retained. “He’s not definitely out, but he will be one of the very big name players in a free agency pool that doesn’t have a lot of big trade stars.”

The Suns have already secured an array of key signatures in recent months, with the likes of co-captains Jarrod Witts and David Swallow, as well as goalkicker Alex Sexton and midfielder Touk Miller all signing long-term extensions.

I’d say we still land him, I would imagine we would be clearing a few contracts this year and a retirement or two.

How the deal gets done? No idea. Hopefully he is very strong in his want to play for Essendon.

Last edited:
When was the last time Dodo brought in 3 or more genuine young kids who look like they could make it? (Prior to Clarke, Mutch and Mynott)?
Kids or mids?
What Donakebab said.

Kids - there's been quite a few.
Mids - as far as drafting is concerned, Parish and McGrath are worthy of mentions but I agree, this is an area that needs more focus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s hard at it but pretty average at the rest of the game
Reckon thats a tad harsh. He has pretty good speed and is more than willing to lay a tackle.
I am not saying he is a star, but as roles within our midfield goes he would complement our current group nicely and supplement a few weaknesses we have in there.

Salary cap might be an issue however, making it null and void.

Myers was a running HBF
giphy.gif

When was the last time Dodo brought in 3 or more genuine young kids who look like they could make it? (Prior to Clarke, Mutch and Mynott)?

They aren’t going to make it, and they don’t look like they will either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back