Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we exposed for a KPF or are 2 injured?

We've got McKernan playing as a KPF and doing a job that is clearly good enough.

We have 3 guys on the list who are mature key forwards and who have shown they can play at the level, Daniher, McKernan and Stewart.

If we're 1 short it's Brown because he is a key forward in height only and he's probably the one that takes up a spot we could use elsewhere (as Begley and Laverde can play that high half forward role). We also have Gown.

My inclination would be to turn Brown into Bowman and still look for another ruck.

It's definitely time to turn over the bottom 6 spots on the list.

Bowman is a ruck first and fremost. Disappinted we haven't ben able to see he and Draper in the same team.

Are we exposed for a KPF or are 2 injured?

We've got McKernan playing as a KPF and doing a job that is clearly good enough.

We have 3 guys on the list who are mature key forwards and who have shown they can play at the level, Daniher, McKernan and Stewart.

If we're 1 short it's Brown because he is a key forward in height only and he's probably the one that takes up a spot we could use elsewhere (as Begley and Laverde can play that high half forward role). We also have Gown.

My inclination would be to turn Brown into Bowman and still look for another ruck.

It's definitely time to turn over the bottom 6 spots on the list.
Neither Stewart nor McKernan should be the focal point up forward ideally. If selected they should be competing for the third tall role behind Stringer. Someone other than Gown needs to be on the list because we can't rely on Daniher. If we were okay we wouldn't be throwing Hooker forward. We certainly should be replacing Brown if the move is to delist him.

Neither Stewart nor McKernan should be the focal point up forward ideally. If selected they should be competing for the third tall role behind Stringer. Someone other than Gown needs to be on the list because we can't rely on Daniher. If we were okay we wouldn't be throwing Hooker forward. We certainly should be replacing Brown if the move is to delist him.

This is where the list is getting complicated. We have so many of the same type of player and the type of player that ranges in style.

It's why a JPod type for a year or 2 would be helpful.

We have guys (AFL) capable of playing this role. Brown probably leads this race, in front of Laverde, Stewart and Begley. Stringer is unique in that he can play midfield minutes as well as key forward.

Our list is a shambles when you look at it structurally, talent wise we are right up there imho. A lack of direction from list management purposes has probably cost this group and opportunity to push for a premiership. It can be rectified with a game plan suited to the list.

We have guys (AFL) capable of playing this role. Brown probably leads this race, in front of Laverde, Stewart and Begley. Stringer is unique in that he can play midfield minutes as well as key forward.

Our list is a shambles when you look at it structurally, talent wise we are right up there imho. A lack of direction from list management purposes has probably cost this group and opportunity to push for a premiership. It can be rectified with a game plan suited to the list.
Yeah, I just don't see anyone on our list who can fill Daniher's role anywhere near the same quality. I'd want a player we can bank on for three goals who provides enough space for Laverde, Stewart, Begley, Stringer etc. I'm talking about a replacement until Daniher is fit because that's an unknown.

With the risk of daniher and stewart not being ready, a KPF should have been looked at.
Though id like to see what brown and smack can do with decent service.
Our forwards arent entirely the issue.

They're surely not equitable for size and strength. Do you think they are?

Yep, comfortably.

Cant say I recall any marking contests where I thought that Stewart or McKernan was outgunned.

Yes, Pearce, Andrews, Hooker and Carlisle are all bigger men but its not like players smaller than McKernan or Stewart haven't troubled these player. Cameron, Riewoldts, Kennedy, Darling, Walker (who ironically probably has 7 kgs on everyone but doesnt use it), Jono Brown. Not one of these guys is bigger or heavier than Stewart. Cameron might have McKernan covered.

McKernan is kinda funny looking, arms legs and neck, more than torso, but he strikes me as genuinely strong.

Stewart is completely jacked these days. His problem wasnt physical strength as much as it was cleanly one-grabbing marks hed outpositioned his opponent to take. He had significantly improved this aspect of his game before being dropped.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKernan is kinda funny looking, arms legs and neck, more than torso, but he strikes me as genuinely strong.

I would raise an eyebrow to anyone thinking he wouldn't be.

Even more if Draper goes.

And let’s be honest, if the money is as reported you’d have to be leaning toward going.

You reckon?

If he goes he probably gets an extra year on his contract and gets to...compete with Longer in the VFL and chop out Marshall? Marshall has blown up as the primary ruckman and is not going anywhere.

If he stays he might only get a 3 year deal but he’ll essentially have the keys to the car, he was probably a fortnight away from knocking Bellchambers off for good.

You reckon?

If he goes he probably gets an extra year on his contract and gets to...compete with Longer in the VFL and chop out Marshall? Marshall has blown up as the primary ruckman and is not going anywhere.

If he stays he might only get a 3 year deal but he’ll essentially have the keys to the car, he was probably a fortnight away from knocking Bellchambers off for good.
Depends on the money i guess. Are offering close to 400 a year? Let alone a 1.6m contract

Even more if Draper goes.

And let’s be honest, if the money is as reported you’d have to be leaning toward going.

Your panic is getting the better of your judgment on this matter. I get it, it happens and I had a momentary freak out when i saw the headline.

However, it's $425k a year. History suggests we only need to shell out something in the ball park, say $350 -$375k to keep. It always costs more to buy than it does to retain.

Draper is very highly rated. The money will be there, even morseo if Bellchambers retires.

Draper is as much chance of leaving as any player on the list.

Last edited:
Yep, comfortably.

Cant say I recall any marking contests where I thought that Stewart or McKernan was outgunned.

Yes, Pearce, Andrews, Hooker and Carlisle are all bigger men but its not like players smaller than McKernan or Stewart haven't troubled these player. Cameron, Riewoldts, Kennedy, Darling, Walker (who ironically probably has 7 kgs on everyone but doesnt use it), Jono Brown. Not one of these guys is bigger or heavier than Stewart. Cameron might have McKernan covered.

Stewart is completely jacked these days. His problem wasnt physical strength as much as it was cleanly one-grabbing marks hed outpositioned his opponent to take. He had significantly improved this aspect of his game before being dropped.
Even so, McKernan turns 30 next year and Stewart is as unreliable as JD when it comes to getting his body right. I still think we need a key forward.

You reckon?

I wouldn't mind losing Draper so long as we can procure Marshall to mitigate the loss. All good then :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind Ben Brown. Would be cheaper than Cameron, but it won't be either. I would have had high hopes for Peter Wright but I think he's contracted now as well.

Would love Wright. Murders about 4 birds with one stone.

Genuine key forward and genuine ruck (though the presence and loss of Lynxh of Witts means he's used sparingly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back