Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was 2013. Even then we weren’t great. We had a great fixture at that stage. GWS twice and only played the final top 4 teams 3 times at that stage. The emotional four point win against Freo and then got done by 5 goals by Geelong and 8 goals by Sydney.

We weren’t actually contending just making up the numbers.

Hardly. Kicked 11.19 to 17.11 against Geelong, bad kicking cost us, we were in the game. Sydney we shat the bed against. Beat West Coast in Perth after that. The players being told we weren't playing finals definitely had an impact on the way the year finished.

We were in a very similar list position in 2013 to what we are now. Main difference is we had a much better ruck division then.

Top 4 backline
Bottom - of the top 8 - midfield
Injured semi-functional forward line

You could argue 2013 was better than our current squad, and may have won a final, but they weren't going to do any real damage imo.

The problem is the same as it has been for nearly 20 years. We can't draft OR develop a midfield. Look at 2013 delistings and it tells our story - it's chockers with failed mids (or flankers that were supposed to become mids) Dyson, Reimers, Prismall, Lonergan, Long, Ross. We then replaced these guy's with more flankers and here we are.

Ironically a lot of our hopes back then were tied to Joe arriving and dragging us into finals relevance (along with BJ). We've seen how effective that was. We were just gifted another chance to get into some first round mids and here we are - waiting for saviour Joe to come back instead - whilst taking another tall with our first meaningful selection.

At least now its slightly different. By trying to copy Richmond we are putting together a squad with the most short players in the history of the AFL We will try anything outside of actually building a top 4 midfield.

Last edited:

Hardly. Kicked 11.19 to 17.11 against Geelong, bad kicking cost us, we were in the game. Sydney we shat the bed against. Beat West Coast in Perth after that. The players being told we weren't playing finals definitely had an impact on the way the year finished.

It’s fantastical. We had one elite midfielder and the next best was a b grader and we had a 19 year old as our only key forward.

Jeremy Cameron putting talks on hold for new contract

Makes sense, he’s in for a huge payday if he can replicate his 2019 form. If GWS win the premiership I can see a couple of their stars taking big money offers from elsewhere.

Also, if I was Cameron’s manager, I’d be telling him to hold tight until the Daniher situation is resolved.

If Daniher left we’d easily throw $1m a season at Cameron to replace him, our team was built around Daniher and if we lost him but replaced him with Cameron - and Caracalla works some magic - then we’d be a great destination for him.

Plugger looking good for 60.

Makes sense, he’s in for a huge payday if he can replicate his 2019 form. If GWS win the premiership I can see a couple of their stars taking big money offers from elsewhere.

Also, if I was Cameron’s manager, I’d be telling him to hold tight until the Daniher situation is resolved.

If Daniher left we’d easily throw $1m a season at Cameron to replace him, our team was built around Daniher and if we lost him but replaced him with Cameron - and Caracalla works some magic - then we’d be a great destination for him.
If it was my call, id swap joey for jez.
Even without the current hullaballoo around daniher.

Jez is the best fwd in the comp.

If it was my call, id swap joey for jez.
Even without the current hullaballoo around daniher.

Jez is the best fwd in the comp.

Early days I thought Daniher would be the better of the two at their peak, but Cameron has the runs on the board whilst Daniher has 2017 and that’s it so far.

If Daniher got back to his best we’d be a completely different side with a genuine talented KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jezza wanted to move GWS could also become a player for Joey, so hopefully he can show his wares in the latter part of the season for other clubs to ask the question.

In a perfect world we lose a couple of players (Hooker and Belly) and add Jezza to Joey like the Tigs did with Lynch and Jack.
Why would we want to lose Hooker?

Isn't he out of contract? Thought he could call it time but if not we would save some coin on his next deal?

2021 he's up

1372791913.png

We've got quite a few guys up this year, I'm guessing Phillips & Cutler lack data since I don't think they're on 1 year deals.

Danihers worth a 2nd round pick end of this year let's be honest

Tim O'Brien is maybe the one we should be throwing solid coin out to move. Unsure on contract*
Tim O'Brien? No thanks. Would prefer Phillips play FF to him.

2021 he's up

1372791913.png

We've got quite a few guys up this year, I'm guessing Phillips & Cutler lack data since I don't think they're on 1 year deals.
How many of those are locks for best 22? McGrath, McKernan and Saad. Daniher and TBC on the rare occasions when they are fit. I'm happy for the rest to scrap it out.

How many of those are locks for best 22? McGrath, McKernan and Saad. Daniher and TBC on the rare occasions when they are fit. I'm happy for the rest to scrap it out.
Bellchambers has played 50 of a possible 68 games the past 3 years, hardly a rarity.

Also Gleeson is best 22 with little doubt right now. But yeah, would agree with the rest.

SSP deadline is March 13.

I imagine that if we move on a SSP selection, we would do it soon. It makes more sense to get them in for a pre season game or two I would have thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back