List Mgmt. Trade Targets 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure there is much value on the trade table atm. We have tried trading in players to make a Premiership list but so far it has not worked. Ryder, Dixon and Polec have yet to play together but when they do I would expect more than I have seen thus far. The trio cost us three first and two second round picks and to me that is big spending in terms of developing a list.

As I see things the only way we are going to get near a Premiership is for a big improvement from some of the inconsistent players we have atm. Younger players like Impey, Amon, Austin and Ah Chee need to take a step up but more experienced players such as Boak, Westhoff and Hartlett to name a few also need to give us more and do it more often.

We badly need a ball getting midfielder to go with Wines and Gray. We need Boak to get back to his best and we need to find a role for the enigmatic Harltlett who should never have been made Vice Captain. I think our best option is to take the best available midfielder in the Draft. If we trade it should be players for players.

Impey is developing ok for me, it is guys like Amon and Ah Chee that are the problem. Wouldn't be surprised if the club is pretty hard on both in the off season.

Am I dreaming or was it reported that Ken was on the Gold Coast recently?

I think one of his kids still lives there but any chance he was catching up with anyone?

No. He was always a flanker type forward or back but has settled into the back lines and is having an excellent year. Is untradable from gws viewpoint.

Straight swap for Broady then ;) #bigfootytradelols

Impey is starting to find his feet and doing well not being used as a defender. IMO we have the back covered now.
Harts should be moved into the guts! make him a clearance machine. Boak gray wines harts rotating through the centre bounces

Love the discussion around Hammer, such an enigmatic player.

I like him coming off the half back line.

He is a guy that has more talent in his little finger than most AFL players and has gone through his entire life being the best at everything. I think he still struggles with genuine mental lapses and would be a liability as a full time midfielder.

We should be active in the trade market, but I'd be chasing draft picks over anything else. We should be balls deep into this draft to try and rejuvenate the list. I want mids that are ready to go. And Wingard HAS to become a genuine mid for us to have any hope of climbing the ladder. I can still see us dipping further next year to be honest as other sides continue their rise and our years of sub-standard drafting of flankers will show. Winter is coming.

Impey is developing ok for me, it is guys like Amon and Ah Chee that are the problem. Wouldn't be surprised if the club is pretty hard on both in the off season.

Agree on Impey. Consistency and mentally sorting his occasional clanger kick are the final frontiers for him. Next year will be exciting I reckon.

Amon is going on 21 for next season and Arch 23. Different players entirely but Amon has time on his side more so than Arch.

Age for age Amon is definitely coming along more quickly in terms of showing that he's working on his demonstrated weaknesses. Showed an issue "backing out" a couple of times last year, showed some guts in similar situations this year but he's always going to be built like a matchstick, and we probably don't want him to slow down one bit anyway. Has an elite weapon in the kick. Unless he gets utterly poleaxed Ben Eckermann style and has his confidence irreprably destroyed I reckon he's going to make it. Medium term White replacement, already keeping Toump out of the side... keep.

Arch isn't really getting much of the ball at the moment. So is he doing the blocking, tagging, shepherding or otherwise contributing at the contest that shows he understands the structures at AFL level and is just in head down, arse up, learning mode for an inside mid? Hard stuff to see unless you're watching with a focus on that alone. Has that amazing handball ability but to a casual observer doesn't seem to be developing. There is that ongoing question around his tank as well. I'll say it, he's threatening to turn into Andrew Moore 2.0. I'm someone else on here has watched more closely, what are you seeing? Do we go for another year in the hope he breaks out and takes some bloody pressure off Wines? I think we'd have to look with an open mind at win-win trade offers for the right player for example, from GC where his brother plays.

Agree on Impey. Consistency and mentally sorting his occasional clanger kick are the final frontiers for him. Next year will be exciting I reckon.

Amon is going on 21 for next season and Arch 23. Different players entirely but Amon has time on his side more so than Arch.

Age for age Amon is definitely coming along more quickly in terms of showing that he's working on his demonstrated weaknesses. Showed an issue "backing out" a couple of times last year, showed some guts in similar situations this year but he's always going to be built like a matchstick, and we probably don't want him to slow down one bit anyway. Has an elite weapon in the kick. Unless he gets utterly poleaxed Ben Eckermann style and has his confidence irreprably destroyed I reckon he's going to make it. Medium term White replacement, already keeping Toump out of the side... keep.

Arch isn't really getting much of the ball at the moment. So is he doing the blocking, tagging, shepherding or otherwise contributing at the contest that shows he understands the structures at AFL level and is just in head down, arse up, learning mode for an inside mid? Hard stuff to see unless you're watching with a focus on that alone. Has that amazing handball ability but to a casual observer doesn't seem to be developing. There is that ongoing question around his tank as well. I'll say it, he's threatening to turn into Andrew Moore 2.0. I'm someone else on here has watched more closely, what are you seeing? Do we go for another year in the hope he breaks out and takes some bloody pressure off Wines? I think we'd have to look with an open mind at win-win trade offers for the right player for example, from GC where his brother plays.

I guess the question is how long do we persist with players like Ah Chee before we realising it isn't working at the expense of developing another player that may work?

Just looking at the players out of contract list, the players i would be interested for varying (general low) cost would be;

Mitch Grigg (DFA-i know he will probably get delisted and not picked up), Josh Green, Lewis Taylor, Blaine Boekhorst(DFA - token pick), Tim Broomhead (DFA - token pick), Jay Laverde, Michael Barlow, Jake Barrett (DFA - token pick), Tom Downie (token pick), Brendan Whitecross (UFA), Jack Trengove (dfa- token pick), Tim Membrey, Jordan Foote (token pick), Toby Nankervis, Koby Stevens.

If we can move on some excess players for picks and plug a couple of gaps with these players then our list would be better balanced.

[And Wingard HAS to become a genuine mid for us to have any hope of climbing the ladder[/QUOTE]Long time lurker driven to post for the first time. Totally agree re: Wingard developing as a mid, not sure why he hasn't spent more time in the midfield this year. Has Ken ever been questioned on how he sees Wingard being used moving forward? To my mind the ideal split would be 60-65% midfield, the rest of the time forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the question is how long do we persist with players like Ah Chee before we realising it isn't working at the expense of developing another player that may work?

Well that's more of a conclusion, than a question ;)

I don't see Arch moving along and I'm interested if anyone else sees or thinks anything different.

Wingard has stagnated as has wines. What were once payers with huge upside have so far become nothing close to what we hoped. Maybe this issue needs to be addressed as mush as the talk of trading.

I don't think stagnated is the word for Wingard, he's having a year well below what he is capable of but after having two AA's previously it's tough to be at the top of your game year in year out without a dip.

Wines on the other hand burst onto the scene and was tracking upwards, now you hardly notice him aside from his clangers. He's somewhere between stagnating to regressing, despite his numbers actually improving he is having far less of a positive impact on the game.

Just looking at the players out of contract list, the players i would be interested for varying (general low) cost would be;

Mitch Grigg (DFA-i know he will probably get delisted and not picked up), Josh Green, Lewis Taylor, Blaine Boekhorst(DFA - token pick), Tim Broomhead (DFA - token pick), Jay Laverde, Michael Barlow, Jake Barrett (DFA - token pick), Tom Downie (token pick), Brendan Whitecross (UFA), Jack Trengove (dfa- token pick), Tim Membrey, Jordan Foote (token pick), Toby Nankervis, Koby Stevens.

If we can move on some excess players for picks and plug a couple of gaps with these players then our list would be better balanced.
Taylor - nah, doesnt do enough (younger version of Boomer)
Laverde - wont be leaving Essendon me thinks
Barlow - too old
Membrey - trenched in the Saints forward line and they wont be giving him up

others i would be happy to get for the right price

Well that's more of a conclusion, than a question ;)

I don't see Arch moving along and I'm interested if anyone else sees or thinks anything different.

Haha true!

I think in some ways Ah Chee has to be viewed as a 2nd year player given his first 2 or 3 were injury depleted.

Can he ever go from a 15 to 20 possession player to 20 to 25?

You'd think that the Crows would have some midfield players that are tradeable but their midfield depth is woeful as you can see even from their AFL side.

I'm sure all clubs can continue to pick off players from the GC, Syd and GWS academies, we've certainly done well from the GWS. I am really hoping that Snelling turns into a quality midfielder.

Ah Chee was the youngest player in his draft , and was always a long term prospect. I by no means am going to state that he will make it to be an a grade footballer , but he definitely should have more opportunity to develop his game over the next 2 years to be honest. He has weapons , I rate him as the strongest mid on our list with his core strength able to knock other on ballers around. Yes even more than wines. He just needs to get better as he has weapons to become great. Still we do have to be mindful not to keep players around for too long waiting but plenty of players I would move on or onto the rookie list before ah Chee

Wasn't their a stat saying port won it's biggest percentage of clearances when Hartlett was in the middle

Wasn't their a stat saying port won it's biggest percentage of clearances when Hartlett was in the middle

Does he have the engine to be a bonafide midfielder? Has stacked on a heap of muscle.

Ah Chee has still only played 20 games, and he was sub in a quarter of them. Apart from the Showdown, the games he played last year were mostly very good.

I dunno where all this 'how long do we persist?' crap is coming from, as if he's a 25 year old with 50 games under his belt. For somebody with Ah Chee's obvious natural ability, you persist a hell of a lot longer than 15 games.

I really don't agree with the "better with O'Shea in the side" myth.

And speaking of O'Shea myths, can we all finally agree that the 'he always comes good in the second half of the year' one is total horseshit?

Last edited:
I don't think stagnated is the word for Wingard, he's having a year well below what he is capable of but after having two AA's previously it's tough to be at the top of your game year in year out without a dip.

Wines on the other hand burst onto the scene and was tracking upwards, now you hardly notice him aside from his clangers. He's somewhere between stagnating to regressing, despite his numbers actually improving he is having far less of a positive impact on the game.

two years ago, if someone asked you who is the best small forward in the game, you'd have no hesitation in saying chad. Now id prob say betts. Of course betts has gotten better, but chad definitely isnt the high flying excitement machine he used to be. Do you even expect him to take a screamer now? he definitley has stagnated...admittedly at a high level, and does some fantastic things still. But his development hasnt been as id hoped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back