Analysis Trades that didn't work out for the player

Remove this Banner Ad

Brereton, McGuane, Sam Mitchell and Doug Hawkins all tried to extend careers at other clubs, so not really sure if it counts.

Actual trades that were doomed from the start were Fev, Croad and Wiz Capper.

Travis Cloke probably falls somewhere between the two here.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the bloke and thought he was often unfairly maligned for most of his career. I wanted him to do well at the Dogs, but his time there really just emphasised how much of a spent force he was in this league. People can debate whether his "confidence was eroded" and his head was messed with in his years under Buckley at Collingwood (even though 2012/2013 were some of his best years individually), but I think he just didn't evolve with the times (like a similar aged, similar type in Tom Hawkins has), and therefore passed his use-by date at AFL level.

By extension to this, Daniel Bradshaw going to Sydney was another failed move. He wanted a longer contract than the year (I think) we were prepared to table after offering him up to Carlton as trade bait so he quit the Lions, got a three year offer at Sydney, and ended up only playing 9 games due to injury before retiring during the second year.

Was in arguably the form of his career in those 9 games though. Managed 28 goals, garnered 6 Brownlow votes, and kicked at often-replayed game-winner from outside 50 on a tough angle at the SCG.

One that jumps to mind re the change of clubs being the catalyst is Jade Rawlings - famously got railroaded into joining the Dogs...and it pretty much wrecked his career.
That's crap.

Rawlings had dicky knees which is why the Hawks declined to give him the big money, long term contract he felt he was entitled to after an outstanding 2003 season. He asked to be traded to North Melbourne, but North and Hawthorn couldn't reach an agreement during trade week, so he went into the pre-season draft and the Dogs took him with their 1st pick.

Rawlings played 29 games over two seasons for the Dogs before they cut him loose.
He joined his brother at North in 2006 and played a couple of games, but his knees were buggered and he retired.

Last edited:
That's crap.

Rawlings had dicky knees which is why the Hawks declined to give him the big money, long term contract he felt he was entitled to after an outstanding 2003 season. He asked to be traded to North Melbourne, but North and Hawthorn couldn't reach an agreement during trade week, so he went into the pre-season draft and the Dogs took him with their 1st pick.

Rawlings played 29 games over two seasons for the Dogs before they cut him loose.
He joined his brother at North in 2006 and played a couple of games, but his knees were buggered and he retired.

‘The Veale Deal’ was constructed get Rawlings to the Dogs, somewhat against his will. The league tightened rules to avoid it happening again.

He had injury queries his whole career but he wasn’t considered ‘cooked’, he was a wanted man - The Dogs thought they’d build their dodgey forward line around him - but the move away from the Hawks sent him into a bit of a nose dive.

That move worked perfectly for Daisy.

He got paid despite not being committed to rehab.

Pies received over the top compensation for him.

It was Carlton that would want to take that move back.
Yep Daisy didn't miss out on much. Wouldn't have played finals at Collingwood over the next handful of years and may have even retired or been delisted before we did make finals again. With our medical history, he wouldn't have been any better with us than he has been at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you judge trades not working out for the player? I still don't quite understand. Based on Buddy saying his decision to join the Swans was for flags, I'd say his move didn't work out for him - but he's hardly damaged his own reputation or career in the process.

The only ones I can think of at the moment are:

Cam McCarthy
Harley Bennell
Mitch Clarke
Chris Yarran
Brendon Fevola
Trent Croad (to Fremantle)

How do you judge trades not working out for the player? I still don't quite understand. Based on Buddy saying his decision to join the Swans was for flags, I'd say his move didn't work out for him - but he's hardly damaged his own reputation or career in the process.

Cam McCarthy
Harley Bennell
Mitch Clarke
Chris Yarran
Brendon Fevola

I'd say the Trent Croad trade worked out perfectly for him......

During Chris Judd's time at Carlton

Carlton finished 11, 7, 8, 5 (5th after finals, lost semi to West Coast), 10, 8* (6th after finals), 13, 18#
Eagles finished 15, 11, 16#, 4, 5, 13, 9, 2

# - Wooden Spoon
* - 2013 when Carlton finished 9th but replaced Essendon in the finals

So Carlton played finals 4 times, West Coast 3 times. Both won a wooden spoon. But West Coast also had a second last finish.
West Coast lost a Grand Final in Judd's final year.

Didn't work out too bad for Judd. Its not like the Eagles were any better.
Take Judd out of Carlton and put him in WC over those years and I think the difference would have been substantial.

Brereton, McGuane, Sam Mitchell and Doug Hawkins all tried to extend careers at other clubs, so not really sure if it counts.

Mitchell moved because we offered him a coaching gig, he would've played just as much footy had he stayed where he was.

While he didn't want to stay in Perth I think it was a successful move for him. One year of playing (8th in the B&F) then one year as an assistant coach where we won the flag, now he's gone back to Hawthorn as an assistant. After 15 years at one club being in a different environment for 2 years was probably good for his development as a coach.

Dunno. S Mitchell wasn't bee shown the door at hawthorn. WCE offered him the same playing contract length ad hawthorn but added the coaching role. Doubled in that his wife also had a job waiting for her in Perth at the end of his career and they were always moving west for 2 years.

Cam McCarthy
Harley Bennell
Mitch Clarke
Chris Yarran
Brendon Fevola

Mitch Clark*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back