Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see Nick in the role Lippa played last year - half forward rotating into the midfield after stoppage when Jordy moves ahead of the ball. I think it would be just about perfect for his development - the problem is he's also pretty irreplaceable for our defence.
It’s inevitable that he makes a move in to the midfield, so our defence needs to learn how to operate without him asap tbh.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Nick in the role Lippa played last year - half forward rotating into the midfield after stoppage when Jordy moves ahead of the ball. I think it would be just about perfect for his development - the problem is he's also pretty irreplaceable for our defence.
It’s just great to have a young super talent, who I suspect will be “irreplaceable” in every position he plays.

Anyone go to the VFL practice match against Geelong?

Any AFL listed players play well?

I noticed Jovan Petric was listed as a VFL listed player, he played key forward last year.

Anyone go to the VFL practice match against Geelong?

Any AFL listed players play well?

I noticed Jovan Petric was listed as a VFL listed player, he played key forward last year.
Yeah, he was pretty good in the champs last year. Looking forward to see how he develops.

As for yesterday, thought Kelly played pretty well on the wing
Begg in the ruck and forward looked good in his managed minutes, kicked a goal.
Steene was very competitive v Ceglar, just applies pressure, tackles and his 2nd, 3rd efforts are insane
Wilson had moments, kicked a goal
Richards kicked 2 goals, and very good footy IQ. Looks likely
Johnson had 3-4 goals, but mainly from the goalline, didn't move up the ground too often. But had moments where his workrate was improving, which was a good sign.
Second half, Ruscoe had to play above his height when we had no key defenders down there. Had his moments
Allan played midfield and wing at times, and looked good. Seeing him in person you realise how big body he has. Had a few clearances.
Ryan looked alright as he uses his foot kills off the backline.
Bianco applied a lot of pressure down back, sometimes too much pressure giving away a free for manhandling the opposition
Franpton was really good before they put him on ice after half time.
Markov had some nice run and dash moments.

Last edited:
Yeah, he was pretty good in the champs last year. Looking forward to see how he develops.

As for yesterday, thought Kelly played pretty well on the wing
Begg in the ruck and forward looked good in his managed minutes, kicked a goal.
Steene was very competitive v Ceglar, just applies pressure, tackles and his 2nd, 3rd efforts are insane
Wilson had moments, kicked a goal
Richards kicked 2 goals, and very good footy IQ. Looks likely
Johnson had 3-4 goals, but mainly from the goalline, didn't move up the ground too often. But had moments where his workrate was improving, which was a good sign.
Second half, Ruscoe had to play above his height when we had no key defenders down there. Had his moments
Allan played midfield and wing at times, and looked good. Seeing him in person you realise how big body he has. Had a few clearances.
Ryan looked alright as he uses his foot kills off the backline.
Bianco applied a lot of pressure down back, sometimes too much pressure giving away a free for manhandling the opposition
Franpton was really good before they put him on ice after half time.
Markov had some nice run and dash moments.
Who won?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training: Tuesday March 21st 2023.

Round 2 here we go.

Players that didn't train:
Dean, but was seen around the bikes encouraging Lippa
Begg.
Howe (clearly, no explanation needed)

Rehab:
  • Lippa -- on the track.. to a point. Did some walking, no sling. And some bike work.
  • Kreuger -- Did some drills, but rehab work also.
  • Draper (now confirmed who has been under concussion protocols) did some drills work and running.

Light duties:
  • Markov (come off early in the VFL but not in the injury report, so clearly nothing serious)
  • Adams
  • McStay

The latter two probably a bit sore or just testing out Adams ankle problem, but neither seemed not bad. The injury report suggests they'll be fine for main training on Thursday.

It was good to see Macrae and Harrison in their 2nd week of full training, ready to commence games. Long time coming for them given they have had a long layoff with their injuries this pre-season.

Not too much you can take from today's session/ Apart from Billy being in the black team, which we knew was always gonna happen anyway.

They're still persisting wth Kelly on the wing, even with Billy going to team A, so...anyone think they'll push Kreuger back once he returns? Given the loss of Dean this year.

Today's work pertained to working on precise quick kicking from one player to another. To react quickly in a short amount of time rather than any prolong waiting time.

During the bit of match play they did, I could see Bolton calling upstairs for certain players (referring to checkers in one play) to point, but don't think he heard as he never did point when kicking the ball down the line.

Training: Tuesday March 21st 2023.

Round 2 here we go.

Players that didn't train:
Dean, but was seen around the bikes encouraging Lippa
Begg.
Howe (clearly, no explanation needed)

Rehab:
  • Lippa -- on the track.. to a point. Did some walking, no sling. And some bike work.
  • Kreuger -- Did some drills, but rehab work also.
  • Draper (now confirmed who has been under concussion protocols) did some drills work and running.

Light duties:
  • Markov (come off early in the VFL but not in the injury report, so clearly nothing serious)
  • Adams
  • McStay

The latter two probably a bit sore or just testing out Adams ankle problem, but neither seemed not bad. The injury report suggests they'll be fine for main training on Thursday.

It was good to see Macrae and Harrison in their 2nd week of full training, ready to commence games. Long time coming for them given they have had a long layoff with their injuries this pre-season.

Not too much you can take from today's session/ Apart from Billy being in the black team, which we knew was always gonna happen anyway.

They're still persisting wth Kelly on the wing, even with Billy going to team A, so...anyone think they'll push Kreuger back once he returns? Given the loss of Dean this year.

Today's work pertained to working on precise quick kicking from one player to another. To react quickly in a short amount of time rather than any prolong waiting time.

During the bit of match play they did, I could see Bolton calling upstairs for certain players (referring to checkers in one play) to point, but don't think he heard as he never did point when kicking the ball down the line.

Will be interesting to see what we do with kreuger. I hope he can get his body right. He was in defence at geel and we brought him in as a forward. But with checkers and mcstay, cox and Cameron rotating, then reef as a third tall, prob no room atm. As a defender he could still be useful.

Will be interesting to see what we do with kreuger. I hope he can get his body right. He was in defence at geel and we brought him in as a forward. But with checkers and mcstay, cox and Cameron rotating, then reef as a third tall, prob no room atm. As a defender he could still be useful.
I’d be happy to see Kreuger spend time in the VFL for a prolonged period to gain confidence in a position.
No rush for him to get back given the depth you’ve pointed out.

Yeah, might even help his injuries playing behind the ball, and the fact we are lacking in that area now.

I’d be happy to see Kreuger spend time in the VFL for a prolonged period to gain confidence in a position.
No rush for him to get back given the depth you’ve pointed out.
Same with gini.
Has no place in our fwd line at the moment.

…but he’s a lock.

I think with a question mark on Billy (I hope he goes well) they have to play Krueger back as insurance

Too early to say. At the moment we have Johnson as back up for KPFs and noone for KPD, but Howe may be back a similar time to Kreuger and who knows which forwards will be fit then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back